Star Trek: Into Darkness - Retrospect

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been going over my commentary on Star Trek: Into Darkness, and I see that I have been at a loss to describe exactly why I did not like it. I think I made it clear that I hated the movie, but not WHY. There are now lots of YouTube videos on the movie which explain the why. Here is one from The Critical Drinker:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If I recall correctly I ripped this film harder than you did for a long time, as I felt it not only was not Trek it was a terrible movie no matter the canon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If I recall correctly I ripped this film harder than you did for a long time, as I felt it not only was not Trek it was a terrible movie no matter the canon.

Yep, you did. But you also seemed to find the 2009 movie good, if I am not mistaken. :) I liked it too, and I have the post here to prove it. Now, however, I hate that movie. The second and third movie retroactively make me dislike the first reboot movie. No matter, the last actual Star Trek we have had is the Nemesis movie.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To be honest I still don’t mind the 2009 film. It was okay as an intro film. The problem was what followed was pure dreck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To be honest I still don’t mind the 2009 film. It was okay as an intro film. The problem was what followed was pure dreck.

I still think they made excellent selections for the reboot crew. If only they had been given a more creative vehicle and not had Jar Jar (reheat the leftovers) Abrams in charge, we might have had a great franchise reboot. In hindsight, I would rather have not had any reboot and continued the Star Trek legacy by creating a new crew and a newer Enterprise. I also not clearly see that the reboot NuTrek was created to monetize an alternate license for Bad Robot and the former Paramount.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So how does one properly describe how bad ST:ID is? Does it belong on a "worst movies ever made" list? Is it worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space? Or is it just an incompetently written and produced actioner?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So how does one properly describe how bad ST:ID is? Does it belong on a "worst movies ever made" list? Is it worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space? Or is it just an incompetently written and produced actioner?

I think it is pretty movie in terms of effects, but it is the worst Star Trek movie ever made. Prior to ST:ID, I would have put The Final Frontier in that spot. I wouldn't put it in the same category as Tank Girl, but they are within spitting distance of each other! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The main reasons I disliked ST:ID were these bullet points:

• Disregard for canon and tone
  • The super dumb Kahn narrative and attempt to rip off iconic moments in TWOK
  • The casting of Cumberbatch as Kahn
  • The Vengeance starship
  • Portable transporters, magic tribble blood, the NuKlingons
  • NuScotty and his sidekick
  • Fratboy Kirk
  • Smoochy Uhura and Spock bickering
  • Unexplained tech
  • Spock Prime
The whole thing is an action flick which alone makes it unworthy of the Star Trek name and the label of "science fiction". There is literally nothing in the material worthy of being called Star Trek. I mean, if you take a show like Stargate Universe and edit out all the communications stones like Stonelesscutter did, you have a watchable show. You can't really do that with ST:ID.

The overall reason I am disgusted with NuTrek is that it has derailed the entire core of what Star Trek is. For 10 years now, Star Trek has been in the grubby clutches of Bad Robot or it's minions like Alex Kurtzman, and it only continues to exist because of a relatively small "new audience" who does not know or care about Star Trek as it had been for 40+ years. I am also frustrated with original fans who are so thirsty for new Star trek that they will watch because it has the Star Trek name, and are willing to severely lower their standards in order to accept it. Sorta like the SGU fans vs Stargate fans. I am glad the 4th movie was axed.