Skylake CPU to ONLY support Windows 10: Microsoft denying support for Win 7 and 8.1

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This proved to be a fail. :( The KVM machine proved to run no better than the VMware based machines I have in Linux. So, I am still dual booting my Windows when I want to play games.

I have never used Windows inside a VM. I have no use for it nor am I curious to test it. :icon_lol:

I cannot recommend my type of network setup under a Windows architecture. The performance is just not there.

One of my former clients ended up building their own carrier switching platform under Windows. They opted for Windows because they had years of dev experience and were intimately familiar with the APIs and tools. I gave them a hand where they needed some help and provided some guidance to overcome some common obstacles when dealing with carrier grade stuff.

The end result? It starts well then slowly saturates until performance is in the garbage due to backlogs in message queues and other factors. They even tried to mimic my architecture by virtualizing the servers and breaking instances into separate VMs. Fail.

Now they're talking about redeveloping everything under Linux and they're a bit frustrated after 2 years of development. They're two highly intelligent guys with some very clever ideas that even impressed me. Unfortunately, there's only so far you can push an underlying OS. Windows is simply not meant to be in carrier grade applications. You'll never find a commercial enterprise or carrier grade switch or router running Windows (Cisco, Sonus, Sansay, Genband, etc).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have never used Windows inside a VM. I have no use for it nor am I curious to test it. :icon_lol:

I cannot recommend my type of network setup under a Windows architecture. The performance is just not there.

One of my former clients ended up building their own carrier switching platform under Windows. They opted for Windows because they had years of dev experience and were intimately familiar with the APIs and tools. I gave them a hand where they needed some help and provided some guidance to overcome some common obstacles when dealing with carrier grade stuff.

The end result? It starts well then slowly saturates until performance is in the garbage due to backlogs in message queues and other factors. They even tried to mimic my architecture by virtualizing the servers and breaking instances into separate VMs. Fail.

Now they're talking about redeveloping everything under Linux and they're a bit frustrated after 2 years of development. They're two highly intelligent guys with some very clever ideas that even impressed me. Unfortunately, there's only so far you can push an underlying OS. Windows is simply not meant to be in carrier grade applications. You'll never find a commercial enterprise or carrier grade switch or router running Windows (Cisco, Sonus, Sansay, Genband, etc).

Dude, I have TWO Windows Server 2012 R2 instances running 24/7 in VMs at home! One is a domain controller running Active Directory (for my lab), and the other one is an Applications server facing the internet that I can remote into. These servers perform fine only because I am the only user. They are ALWAYS on. I agree with you in terms of running Windows in VMS, except when it is running on monster hosts. A 16GB machine running an i7 with 4 cores allocated out of the 8 available, and at least 8GB of the 16GB available, the Windows VM will run any game in existence (provided the host graphics card(s) are up to snuff). I have a buddy who is doing this on a CentOS 6 machine running VMware Workstation 12 with Windows 7 in the VM. It even runs Crysis and Call of Duty with no problem. He told me that the games would not run until he put a 2GB Nvidia graphics card in the machine.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You have to do several things to Windows during install to make it install cleanly. First, to not use any of the "recommended settings". Control every step of the install process. Yes, you do have to disconnect every drive you do not want affected, because Windows will write certain files to those drives during the install (volume information). Partition the system drive first and leave the other partition unallocated (no formatting). Windows will create a 100MB partition in the new partition anyway. Use a USB flash drive to install Windows. Take your CD and use Rufus to make a bootable USB stick and install it that way.

When installing Win7,which settings am I looking out for that I will not to want to install ?

I'll switch future post to another thread as I am kinda derailing this one ...

Thanks

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Dude, I have TWO Windows Server 2012 R2 instances running 24/7 in VMs at home! One is a domain controller running Active Directory (for my lab), and the other one is an Applications server facing the internet that I can remote into. These servers perform fine only because I am the only user. They are ALWAYS on. I agree with you in terms of running Windows in VMS, except when it is running on monster hosts. A 16GB machine running an i7 with 4 cores allocated out of the 8 available, and at least 8GB of the 16GB available, the Windows VM will run any game in existence (provided the host graphics card(s) are up to snuff). I have a buddy who is doing this on a CentOS 6 machine running VMware Workstation 12 with Windows 7 in the VM. It even runs Crysis and Call of Duty with no problem. He told me that the games would not run until he put a 2GB Nvidia graphics card in the machine.

They're just fine in a home environment or low volume enterprise environments. Put them in the carrier world where transactions per second run into the 5 to 6 digit range per instance and everything falls apart.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So that means I would have to flip all the ones and zeros on my SSD drive to make space on it because there is only 20 G's of space left on a 250 G SSD . Of course I do have another SSD that is new . This is basically starting over again like the tenth time or more ... This sucks ... Why am I having these issues in the first place ? . My Intel build has had none of these problems . Anyway thanks for the info OM1 . If I am not too pooped tonight I will begin the process . Building a work shop/storage shed in my back yard this month . Just had to wait for the dam weather to improve which it has finally ...
;) ;) ;)

Wait, you don't have to erase anything. Just use a Linux CD (or USB loaded iso) and start a live session. Use that session to access your Windows folders and copy whatever you need to another drive. OR, simply install Linux over the top of it and during the Linux install, it will detect Windows and set up dual booting from GRUB when you choose "install alongside". After doing that, you should be able to log into Windows after choosing it from the GRUB menu.