Shows that the Sci-Fi/ SyFy channel is directly responsible for cancelling.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob

One of the main reasons this forum exists is because we are frustrated. We have had this one channel give us poor entertainment and keep supporting poor entertainment, while they axe shows that are popular. Unfortunately the Stargate franchise has taken a tumble. However I believe that with the sudden emergence of more reality shows popping up on Skiffy we are going to lose the 2 (maybe 3) sci-fi shows we have left (I'm sorry I don't consider wrestling and any of the ghost hunters sci fi). I have only been watching the sci-fi channel for the past 6 years. I need the people who have been watching since the 90's to help me with a list. I have compiled a list below that represents the shows that the sci-fi channel is directly responsible for axing. I need to know what television shows that were popular before the re-branding that were cancelled. I believe it is important that we constantly remind ourselves what type of channel we are watching and what shows they have killed.

Farscape
First Wave
The Chronicle
The outer limits
Painkiller Jane
Special unit 2
Bionic woman
Stargate SG-1
Atlantis
Babylon 5

I know that this list is incomplete because it is surprisingly hard to find shows that were axed by the Sci-Fi channel (SyFy).
If anyone can add to this list please contribute, and if any of these are incorrect please tell me. My goal is to ultimately find out how many good shows were cancelled because of the then Sci Fi channel. I know they cancelled Farscape and Babylon because we had a similar discussion in the previous forum. I believe they cancelled Farscape too early and I know the Babylon groups were outraged. Fox is another channel that enjoys cancelling sci fi shows but try to stick to just the Sci fi channel if you can.

Deity59

GateFans Noob
1. Babylon 5 was designed to run exactly 5 seasons and it did. syfy had nothing to do with it.
2. Bionic Woman was a network show that they dropped after 8 episodes. Not a syfy show.
3. SG-1 ran 10 seasons. You can't really say it was killed in its prime.
4. You left off the Dresden Files. Not really sci-fi though, but fantasy.

Deity59

GateFans Noob
Special unit 2 was also a network show.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
One yes one no and one maybe.

1. SG-1 hadn't finished the ori story-arc, it would have needed at least another season to wrapup properly so it is going to stay on the list.
2. You're correct about Babylon 5, but the bionic woman was made by NBC and had been advertised on the syfy channel, and NBC owns SyFy. To me they are very close to being the same entity. If a majority agree with you i will gladly remove Bionic woman.
3. Consider dresden added. Special Unit 2 nix.

Farscape
First Wave
The outer limits
Bionic woman
Painkiller Jane
Stargate SG-1
Atlantis
Dresden Files

I personally enjoyed Farscape, the gates, and dresden.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Was Syfy responsible for Atlantis. I thought it was TPTB and that Syfy were happy with another season of Atlantis.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More than a few of those deserved to be canceled.

One of the main reasons this forum exists is because we are frustrated. We have had this one channel give us poor entertainment and keep supporting poor entertainment, while they axe shows that are popular. Unfortunately the Stargate franchise has taken a tumble. However I believe that with the sudden emergence of more reality shows popping up on Skiffy we are going to lose the 2 (maybe 3) sci-fi shows we have left (I'm sorry I don't consider wrestling and any of the ghost hunters sci fi). I have only been watching the sci-fi channel for the past 6 years. I need the people who have been watching since the 90's to help me with a list. I have compiled a list below that represents the shows that the sci-fi channel is directly responsible for axing. I need to know what television shows that were popular before the re-branding that were cancelled. I believe it is important that we constantly remind ourselves what type of channel we are watching and what shows they have killed.

Farscape
First Wave
The Chronicle
The outer limits
Painkiller Jane
Special unit 2
Bionic woman
Stargate SG-1
Atlantis
Babylon 5

I know that this list is incomplete because it is surprisingly hard to find shows that were axed by the Sci-Fi channel (SyFy).
If anyone can add to this list please contribute, and if any of these are incorrect please tell me. My goal is to ultimately find out how many good shows were cancelled because of the then Sci Fi channel. I know they cancelled Farscape and Babylon because we had a similar discussion in the previous forum. I believe they cancelled Farscape too early and I know the Babylon groups were outraged. Fox is another channel that enjoys cancelling sci fi shows but try to stick to just the Sci fi channel if you can.

The shows I liked have thumbs up, the others thumbs down:

Farscape :tealc_new049:
First Wave :tealc_new050:
The Chronicle
:tealc_new050:
The outer limits :tealc_new049:
Painkiller Jane :tealc_new050:
Special unit 2 :tealc_new050:
Bionic woman :tealc_new050:
Stargate SG-1 :tealc_new049:
Atlantis :tealc_new049:
Babylon 5 :tealc_new049: (why is this one on the list?)

Babylon 5 wasnt canceled, it ended when the story arc was done. Unless there was going to be a remake?

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
The shows I liked have thumbs up, the others thumbs down:

Farscape :tealc_new049:
First Wave :tealc_new050:
The Chronicle
:tealc_new050:
The outer limits :tealc_new049:
Painkiller Jane :tealc_new050:
Special unit 2 :tealc_new050:
Bionic woman :tealc_new050:
Stargate SG-1 :tealc_new049:
Atlantis :tealc_new049:
Babylon 5 :tealc_new049: (why is this one on the list?)

Babylon 5 wasnt canceled, it ended when the story arc was done. Unless there was going to be a remake?
Egads man! You didn't like First Wave!?

Okay okay, it was messed up at times But it was so awesome with it's "Outer Limits" style of story telling and the pure underdoggedness of it :D

I never did see the finale though :( never got the DVDs either but i did enjoy it :D

and Babylon 5 was to be continued in other shows, but none of tehm ever took off. Personally i feel they got too esoteric for the mainstream appeal.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I only saw two episodes. Episode 12 in season 1, and episode 17 season 1.

Egads man! You didn't like First Wave!?

Okay okay, it was messed up at times But it was so awesome with it's "Outer Limits" style of story telling and the pure underdoggedness of it :D

I never did see the finale though :( never got the DVDs either but i did enjoy it :D

and Babylon 5 was to be continued in other shows, but none of tehm ever took off. Personally i feel they got too esoteric for the mainstream appeal.

I saw "Second Wave" about the UFO sighting, and then "Breeding Ground" about the kids with the super human powers. It seemed like a cross between X-files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer at the time to me. Meh, but perhaps I should watch more episodes. It ran like, 3 years didnt it?

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
I'd try it if you can do it for free :P

I saw "Second Wave" about the UFO sighting, and then "Breeding Ground" about the kids with the super human powers. It seemed like a cross between X-files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer at the time to me. Meh, but perhaps I should watch more episodes. It ran like, 3 years didnt it?
Some of it was meh, but it's basically a mix of X-Files, The Outer Limits, and crazy Nostradamus prophecy :P It's good when it's normal, it's great when it's good, and when it's bad its... well let's not go there :P

Sebastian Spence made that role what it was. There were so many great episodes, and some... not so great :P But it was fun and was dark and light at teh same time. Crazy Eddie was always hilarious :P

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
TPTB did slip a few hints in certain interviews that alerted us to the fact that a new arm of the franchise was coming down the chute. I believe it was the syfy channel that actually cancelled it though because they didn't want the show to go into syndication. I could be wrong but i think shows still go into syndication after five years (which is why I think they will cancel Eureka by year five). I believe that tptb wanted to finish up the story arc a different way. A big freakin space battle between Atlantis and new mega wraith ship seemed a little like an easy escape from a deadline when skiffy would be ending Atlantis. That is what I think. In the last forum this topic was heavily debated over and talked about. Personally I am of the thought that a more creative ending could have been found. Remember how tptb ended season 7 of SG-1 that was a cool finale. With all of the stories and fan fiction anything is better than a space battle between two ships. For example I would have liked to see the wraith make it to our galaxy and have to fight the Jaffa that had been trained for generations in fighting. Thousands of wraith vs hundreds of thousands of Jaffa motherships. Then add in the fact that the wraith are pouring out of every gate in the milky way and humans and jaffa are fighting them at every gate. too grand I know but Atlantis should have gone out with a bang of three episodes strung together and not the five minute space battle that was given to us.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You made me think of some "what if" opening scenarios for SGU

TPTB did slip a few hints in certain interviews that alerted us to the fact that a new arm of the franchise was coming down the chute. I believe it was the syfy channel that actually cancelled it though because they didn't want the show to go into syndication. I could be wrong but i think shows still go into syndication after five years (which is why I think they will cancel Eureka by year five). I believe that tptb wanted to finish up the story arc a different way. A big freakin space battle between Atlantis and new mega wraith ship seemed a little like an easy escape from a deadline when skiffy would be ending Atlantis. That is what I think. In the last forum this topic was heavily debated over and talked about. Personally I am of the thought that a more creative ending could have been found. Remember how tptb ended season 7 of SG-1 that was a cool finale. With all of the stories and fan fiction anything is better than a space battle between two ships. For example I would have liked to see the wraith make it to our galaxy and have to fight the Jaffa that had been trained for generations in fighting. Thousands of wraith vs hundreds of thousands of Jaffa motherships. Then add in the fact that the wraith are pouring out of every gate in the milky way and humans and jaffa are fighting them at every gate. too grand I know but Atlantis should have gone out with a bang of three episodes strung together and not the five minute space battle that was given to us.

They didnt even connect the stories properly. Its as though somebody in TPTB "had it in for" Atlantis and its actors. They made SURE there was a solid connection between the SG-1 crew and Stargate Command (even if it wasnt our Stargate Command in Cheyenne Mountain), they have had multiple cameos of SG-1 characters, and they constantly try to connect to the canon of SG-1...but no mention of Atlantis AT ALL during season 1? At the very least should have been somebody at Atlantis trying to look up data for Destiny in the Ancient database. They should have had this crew leave for Destiny FROM Atlantis, while it was on earth in the harbor.

So, they bombed season 1 and now they are going to throw in a couple of Atlantis characters? I dont even count Woolsey as a "real" Atlantis team member. What will McKay be doing on Destiny or earth that would help them? I dont really care. :roll:. These characters still have not captivated me and they never will. Chloe is morphing into something in one of those episodes, according to the trailer. Ho hum. Why not just make her into Wonder Woman or a Magic Forest Queen with elven powers, or just make her a witch who has Q powers. :jonasanime02:. I dont really care where this show is going anymore. All I care about is its cancellation.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
There could have been so many possibilities. Sadly it was never realized because TPTB were so butthurt that their 'non-effort' with Atlantis was giving them such good feedback. It's an artist dillema i think, when the thing you spent god knows how long working on isn't popular, but the thing you snapped together in 5 minutes ends up with critical acclaim.

Jebus i know this personally. i just spent a good while writing a more 'original' styled SG1 fic with an OC team as an enemy, and i'm getting only decent hits/reviews. Yet i make a fallout3/SGA crossover that i don't even think is that great and began as a joke, and i get massive hits with it. I'm not ashamed of what i've written, but it is freaking annoying in the mind of the writer that 'easy' work gets more than the 'hard' work.

geijin

GateFans Noob
Either way, be it SyFy or TPTB, Atlantis was cancelled, and both groups share the blame. SyFy didn't fight for it, and TPTB didn't want it. And what do we get for it? An egomaniac's decision to destroy the integrity of the franchise, and a network that sold its integrity to produce FAKE reality shows.

tarmacnomad

GateFans Noob
I got one but don't remember the name of it!

It was set during the sixties and they linked it with the jfk assassination.
It was about a guy and his GF or wife and he knew about the aliens were going to invade or something. The aliens were doing abductions and implanting people with Ganglions that they used to control people with and infiltrate the government with.
I remember bits and pieces about it and reason i bring it up because I want to watch it again because there was a lot of interesting things brought up by that program. They showed it on channel 4 at first but they dropped it for some reason, then sci fi took it or it was theirs first? either one?
I thought it was called "First Wave" but I think it's on that line with the title.
And the new Syfy is weak!!!

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
It was set during the sixties and they linked it with the jfk assassination.
It was about a guy and his GF or wife and he knew about the aliens were going to invade or something. The aliens were doing abductions and implanting people with Ganglions that they used to control people with and infiltrate the government with.
I remember bits and pieces about it and reason i bring it up because I want to watch it again because there was a lot of interesting things brought up by that program. They showed it on channel 4 at first but they dropped it for some reason, then sci fi took it or it was theirs first? either one?
I thought it was called "First Wave" but I think it's on that line with the title.
And the new Syfy is weak!!!

The name Syfy is totally weak!

I think you're thinking of Dark Skies. It aired on NBC. But I think the SciFi channel just aired repeats of it. I could be wrong.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
They didnt even connect the stories properly. Its as though somebody in TPTB "had it in for" Atlantis and its actors. They made SURE there was a solid connection between the SG-1 crew and Stargate Command (even if it wasnt our Stargate Command in Cheyenne Mountain), they have had multiple cameos of SG-1 characters, and they constantly try to connect to the canon of SG-1...but no mention of Atlantis AT ALL during season 1? At the very least should have been somebody at Atlantis trying to look up data for Destiny in the Ancient database. They should have had this crew leave for Destiny FROM Atlantis, while it was on earth in the harbor.

So, they bombed season 1 and now they are going to throw in a couple of Atlantis characters? I dont even count Woolsey as a "real" Atlantis team member. What will McKay be doing on Destiny or earth that would help them? I dont really care. :roll:. These characters still have not captivated me and they never will. Chloe is morphing into something in one of those episodes, according to the trailer. Ho hum. Why not just make her into Wonder Woman or a Magic Forest Queen with elven powers, or just make her a witch who has Q powers. :jonasanime02:. I dont really care where this show is going anymore. All I care about is its cancellation.
There's been like two references to SGA in the entire run of SGU AFAIK. One was in the pilot where Rush mentions that they got the 9 chevron address from the Atlantis database and the other was in Human, where Chloe goes Daniel Jackson for a moment and talks about how tech based societies disguised themselves as primitives in the Milky Way and Pegasus.