Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My daughter and I went out last night and watched a pair of brand new movies, including "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows".

We loved the film, it had just the right amount of action and humor. It was interesting to see the same guy who played in "Fringe" as freaky guy from the other side "David Robert Jones" playing Professor James Moriarty, Jared Harris. (Fun fact: He's Richard Harris' son -- now that I think about it, I can see the VERY strong family resemblance). Stephen Fry has taken up the mantle of playing Sherlock's "smarter" brother, Mycroft, and MAN is Mycroft an even larger (in more ways than one) ass than Sherlock (whom he refers to as "Sherly" as in "Shirley") can be.

It's been noted that there is more "steampunk" content in the background in this movie than in the previous film. As a fan of the genre, this doesn't bother me at all.

If you choose to see it, I hope you love it as much as we did.

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm very much looking forward to this movie. :) Dunno when I'll have a chance to see it though.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Oh wow, that WAS David Robert Jones! lol, didn't realize at the time. I like the film series and all but wish there was a bit more mystery in it like on the show.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh wow, that WAS David Robert Jones! lol, didn't realize at the time. I like the film series and all but wish there was a bit more mystery in it like on the show.

was it a worthy sequel to the first one? we were planing on seeing it in theaters, but life got in the way (as it tends to!) and never bothered. Just wondering if it's worth paying for on demand ($3.99 currently)- so give us a brief review? ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Can't really say but I think you might enjoy it. They upped the uh scale/scope of the case, made it more global-ish. They skipped all the build-up to the revelation though, who's behind it all and how everything fits together. They opted for a few funny scenes and lots of 'flash and bang'. The ending was pretty good though, how it was concluded. It was somewhat entertaining. If you're willing to opt for a very satisfying film though, I'd opt for Man from Nowhere over this one if you have access to it. It's japanese or chinese or korean, I couldn't tell.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
these days if it's not on my on demand I don't get to see it. gas prices are prohibitive of too much driving! :P I'll keep an eye out for the man from Nowhere though.

I found the first sherlock holmes to be more flash bang than storyline. :P hubby loved it but not I, but then I enjoyed Sir Arthur Conan Doyles' BOOKS.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I definitely liked the books, read most of them, including his lost world one, that one was pretty adventurous. I think you'd like the British one if you haven't seen it, it's called Sherlock. Watson is played by the guy that's playing Bilbo in the upcoming The Hobbit and he was in the UK Office. Holmes is played by someone I don't really know but apparently he's in the new Star Trek movie.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Yeah, I definitely liked the books, read most of them, including his lost world one, that one was pretty adventurous. I think you'd like the British one if you haven't seen it, it's called Sherlock. Watson is played by the guy that's playing Bilbo in the upcoming The Hobbit and he was in the UK Office. Holmes is played by someone I don't really know but apparently he's in the new Star Trek movie.

thanks for the heads up. :)