SGA Season 01: General Discussion Thread

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Nice cast pic. Too bad they never could develop Ford's character. I sort of feel sorry for the guy. Look closely, Shep's holding a Guinness.

deco

GateFans Noob
Nice cast pic. Too bad they never could develop Ford's character. I sort of feel sorry for the guy. Look closely, Shep's holding a Guinness.

not only ford but many other charaters that they started to change and change and change
sg-1 keeped the main cast for 8 years.
for me that was a let down by cuting characters season by season

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

The biggest mistake was killing off Weir. Sheppard and Weir had great chemistry together.

Yeah damn ****** right! They should have had nasty, animalistic nookie. She strikes me as a scratcher & a biter :D

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well, you know how I feel about that. LOL. :P They made decent friends to me, but I only saw romantic chemistry between Shep and Teyla for Shep.

The biggest mistake was killing off Carson.

But, hey, everybody's different. ;)
OK, let's set this straight:

Mistake #1: Killing Weir

#2: Killing Carson

#3: Bringing in Keller

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Technically Carson died first :P

I coudl get into the whole thing, but Season 1 was pretty damn awesome IMO :) Strongass Wraith, great arc based story, and some of the absolute greatest episodes in the history of Stargate :D

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I got the Season 1 DVDs a few weeks ago and I was struck by how different it was from SGU. Everything seems so much livelier, even though the effects and music aren't as good, and the character conflicts aren't as hamfisted as on SGU. I also noted that you can make a lot of parallels between the SGU and SGA characters, to the point that it seems like SGU is trying to redo Atlantis with more idiotic/messed up people.

The only bad thing about SGA S1 is how Ford doesn't really get to grow; I really thought him having more gate experience than Sheppard would make for an interesting dynamic, but they never really seemed to use that.

BTW, is it just me, or has almost every TV airing of Rising cut out the montage at the beginning of the episode where Weir tells her boyfriend about the Atlantis expedition?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a great Atlantis Team pic.

SGA Team - Season One

SGA-S1-Cast.jpg

I'll post some season 1 pics in the gallery section later as well. :)

I hate what they did with Ford's character. But I also cant imagine Atlantis without Ronon or Carson. I dont know why they ever messed with Weir, since she and Shep and McKay had such great chemistry!

deco

GateFans Noob
i dont know since i didnt whacht some episodes from season 4 but i didnt see any one translating ancient language to the team snd they dindt replace wierd whit some one who know ancient.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
SGU is definitely a drastic change from SGA. However, I disagree with you about music and effects. I think that the effects were good and the music was the best. The SGA theme song is much better than the ambient concoction that the SGU theme song is... :icon_e_confused:
Well, I am watching it on a 20 in LCD monitor setup for HD video gaming a few feet away from my face, so I can't help but notice the really low quality textures they had on all the CGI stuff. It happens when I play Mass Effect 2 as well. The stories and characters more than make up for it in both cases.

As for the music, aside from the theme, I can't recall anything from the soundtrack. I can remember the Jaffa and Kull Warrior themes from SG-1 (and possibly the Ori one), but SGA's music is pretty much a blank for me. The stuff Joel Goldsmith composed for SGU is pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind owning an OST for the show, but I couldn't care less about the montage music.

I wouldn't use the term "more idiotic/messed up people" simply because the SGA characters weren't idiotic at all. They may have had their own personal issues, but I also wouldn't call them "messed up." You don't get to participate in an elite program such as the Stargate program if you've got several screws missing - well, at least with the SG-1/SGA versions of Stargate. LOL. :P
I totally agree that the SGA cast wasn't idiotic or messed up like the SGU cast, but what I was really trying to say was that if you look carefully, you can tell that the writers took the ideas behind SGA cast, then made them ridiculously stupid and/or psychologically troubled and changed the names so they could get the SGU cast. OK, they split McKay into two different characters (Rush and Eli), but the premise remains the same.

EDIT:
I agree with you about Ford. They didn't really give him a chance to grow. I don't know why they didn't mention trying the gene therapy on him to see if he could fly the jumpers so that Shep would have a back up for doing that, although I suppose the backup ended up being McKay which also works. But yes, that was a missed opportunity I think.
They did give him the gene therapy, it just didn't work. They had backup in some other guys who got blown up in The Brotherhood (IIRC) and Beckett.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Well, I am watching it on a 20 in LCD monitor setup for HD video gaming a few feet away from my face, so I can't help but notice the really low quality textures they had on all the CGI stuff. It happens when I play Mass Effect 2 as well. The stories and characters more than make up for it in both cases.

As for the music, aside from the theme, I can't recall anything from the soundtrack. I can remember the Jaffa and Kull Warrior themes from SG-1 (and possibly the Ori one), but SGA's music is pretty much a blank for me. The stuff Joel Goldsmith composed for SGU is pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind owning an OST for the show, but I couldn't care less about the montage music.

I totally agree that the SGA cast wasn't idiotic or messed up like the SGU cast, but what I was really trying to say was that if you look carefully, you can tell that the writers took the ideas behind SGA cast, then made them ridiculously stupid and/or psychologically troubled and changed the names so they could get the SGU cast. OK, they split McKay into two different characters (Rush and Eli), but the premise remains the same.

EDIT:
They did give him the gene therapy, it just didn't work. They had backup in some other guys who got blown up in The Brotherhood (IIRC) and Beckett.

You know I never realy thought about it that way I always assosiated Eli as a young slacker version of Mckay but your thoughts hit the nail on the head!

I realy wished Atlantis had stayed lost for another season I new as soon as they had contact with Earth we would get lame crossovers (sorry sg1 fans) but i never thought those crossovers added something to the series.

I liked Ford and would have loved to see him trying to re-connect with atlantis after everything that had happened there was a chance for some real character interaction which though touched on could have been realy gritty.

I love atlantis but i know it had many faults. i think im more irritated it didnt get the injection of new writters it needed in the latter years and the growth and chance to explore the charcters more.
The Potential for atlantis was so friggin huge :( they seem to be going down this same road.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
As for the SGA music, it's available in the iTunes store. I wish I could link to the page, but you've got to have the software for it. Anyhoo, all you have to do if you have iTunes is go into the store and type "Stargate Atlantis" in the search box in the upper right hand corner. It'll bring up the episodes and such. Then, on the left hand side of the page, select "music" under "Filter by media type" and that will bring up the "Original Television Soundtrack." The music will be there for you to sample after that. It's GREAT!!! :D
Really? I should try that out once I get a new iTouch (curse you Steve Jobs for upgrading the damn thing every year!). I'm not going to touch iTunes until then out of fear of having the stupid auto-sync wipe out all the menu items on 5.5G Classic (fuck you iTunes).

Well I can agree with that to a certain extent. Young/Scott are nothing like Sheppard though... Someone I spoke with months ago mentioned that Chloe was their idea of a really bad Keller 2.0... The more I think about it now, the less I'm inclined to agree. They may have started out trying to make these characters somewhat like the SGA cast, but again, they failed in whatever they were trying to do.
I think Young is more a of Sumner, a guy who plays by the rules but can be flexible. Except Young is completely incompetent and has no commanding presence (or any life to him at all, aside from Darkness, where he was verbally bitchslapping people thanks to caffine withdrawal). Maybe non-brainwashed Telford is going to be the Sheppard of SGU, while Scott takes Ford's role?

Well that's also true for McKay. They gave the gene therapy to him twice and it didn't work. But, I think Beckett experimented with it and tried again and it worked on McKay. We weren't told if they tried again with Ford. I'm inclined to think that they didn't since it wasn't mentioned. However, I can't remember if that was season 1 or 2 right now. So, I'll have to check. They also never mentioned trying it on Teyla or Ronon. IDK, perhaps you have to be from Earth to get it. That was never really addressed. :confused:
Actually, McKay had the therapy work right from the get-go, since he got the treatment in Hide and Seek, the episode with the Ancient personal shield and the black goo/cloud thing.

As for Teyla, I think they wouldn't give her the gene therapy after finding out she could be controlled by the Wraith. I don't know why they didn't give it to Ronon; I guess he didn't care.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I wasnt that bothered about Weir as she never really left much of an impression on me. She never seemed to have what it took to be a leader and her role seemed to consist of standing around and wringing her hands, or batting her eyes at Sheppard. She was the Hammond of SGA and I always felt that she should have been a recurring character like Hammond. They were really trying to force her into scenes by season 3 to give her something to do. Since when does the leader go on missions and we were told she was this great diplomat but I don't recall seeing any evidence of it, again like Keller, we were told she was this great genius doctor but she was barely convincing as a medic.
The problem with Weir was that there was pretty much nothing for her to do as a diplomat, since practically all the civilizations in Pegasus were a bunch of people living in tents/cabins/whatever, so trying to do anything with them is kinda pointless while the Wraith are still around, since that would make them bigger targets. The Genii had some potential, but the writers made them be bad guys way too soon for us to really get to see Weir's diplomacy skills in action (aside from Siege Part II). If the Travelers had been introduced sooner and had been an actual recurring faction that the Atlantis expedition worked with, then Weir's diplomacy skills could've been used.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
got busy this afternoon and put in SGA season 1 disc two- enjoyed Childhood's end, poisoning the well, and underground. What a difference from the mess that is sgpoo. *looks to see if her nemesis is lurking*
smsmileys28.gif
ya know- mckay isn't nearly as irritating as I remember him as...must be in comparison to all those morons on sgpoo. :P I enjoyed those eps MORE than i did the first time around! :D

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
got busy this afternoon and put in SGA season 1 disc two- enjoyed Childhood's end, poisoning the well, and underground. What a difference from the mess that is sgpoo. *looks to see if her nemesis is lurking*
smsmileys28.gif
ya know- mckay isn't nearly as irritating as I remember him as...must be in comparison to all those morons on sgpoo. :P I enjoyed those eps MORE than i did the first time around! :D
You'll come around ;)

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
smsmileys28.gif

I only just re-watched season 1 with my oldest last week!

Mckay's annoyingness to some i think stems from the later seasons, where they seemed to move away from team eps where everyone got something to say and/or do.
I totaly blame the writters for that. Mckay as a character is great imo (as you know) so the "too much of him" complaint never effected me. if it had been say Ronan who had received the same treament I would feel the same as you do (DID).

Also season 1 just showed that whole teamness vibe that carried the show when the writting sucked. Two strong women in positions of power, who were not defined by there relashionships with the men of the expodition (at least in season 1) secondry characters who's screen time was limited but still important (i loved grodin)

In sgu the secondry charcters seem to be liked a lot more than the A team. It occurs to me that when the writers shine the light on characters they lose the tightness of the writing, either by overdoing the dramatics or just completly missing what the character represnts for the audience.

They never shined the light on Zelenka, yet he is a well loved character the same with Lorne. Shine the light on Teyla (pregnancy) and she suddenly has become a shadow of what she was. all imho of course.

G

Graybrew1

Woke up today, and decide to watch the SGA pilot. It has been a long time since I saw it. Boy, this was indeed a really good pilot. It strikes me as very ironic that Weir made her speech before the expedition and noted that all who were going had both volunteered for it and were the best and the brightest. Two complete differences from SGU. Makes you think that they were really trying to be polar opposites right from the very beginning.

We see how well that turned it..... What is it that they say about hindsight? :icon_e_wink:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Woke up today, and decide to watch the SGA pilot. It has been a long time since I saw it. Boy, this was indeed a really good pilot. It strikes me as very ironic that Weir made her speech before the expedition and noted that all who were going had both volunteered for it and were the best and the brightest. Two complete differences from SGU. Makes you think that they were really trying to be polar opposites right from the very beginning.

We see how well that turned it..... What is it that they say about hindsight? :icon_e_wink:

It sucks :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
SGA FTW

Still enjoying my season 1 rewatch. I am impressed with how the show has aged...even 7 years on the show still captures the imagination. Just finished the storm and the eye...what a couple of great eps. Breathtaking storyline...wonderful special effects (especially for those of us familiar with hurricanes on a coast :) )and gripping action! Now that is how you do good scifi. Seeing mckay pull out a bit of bravery and a little Bs- john sheppard style- was classic. Watching ford be all "man in charge" was just plain fun! What I loved the most about SGA wasn't the pew pew, the great FX, or the endless technobabble. What I loved the most was the feeling that these characters really cared for each other and would do whatever it took to save each other. now that was great tv! :D