SG-1 Season 07: General Discussion Thread

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm not sure if this is my favourite episode in this season, but the "Heroes" two parter definitely left an impression.
Damn shame that Janet Frasier had to die in this one though shocking as it was it's probably the main reason why the episode had such an impact.
The reporter character is rather annoying at first but somehow grows on you towards the end of the ep.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I'm not sure if this is my favourite episode in this season, but the "Heroes" two parter definitely left an impression.
Damn shame that Janet Frasier had to die in this one though shocking as it was it's probably the main reason why the episode had such an impact.
The reporter character is rather annoying at first but somehow grows on you towards the end of the ep.

Yeah, Saul Rubenstein, cast in Bonfires of the Vanities to be an equally annoying lawyer. Making a career out of portraying a sleezebag. I cringed when I first saw him in the ep. Just as the producers hoped.

Haven't watched S7 for a while. I'll get around to it. Not like there's anything else on.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I'm in Season 7 right now. I love Fragile Balance. The one with young Oneill.

S

Stonelesscutter

Haven't watched S7 for a while. I'll get around to it. Not like there's anything else on.

Indeed, don't you just hate them summer breaks during the shows.
I'm currently waiting for Sanctuary, House, Castle, Caprica, Two and a half men and yes also SGU to come back on. Especially sanctuary has taken a loooong break. It better kick ass when it returns!

Have recently watched all of SG-1 as well as all of SG-A. Perhaps it'll be a few months before I start watching them again. Then again perhaps I'll do it next week :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
S7,EP 6 "LIFEBOAT"

Classic schmuckiness, melodramatic acting by Shanks. they really wanted him back for this kind of "acting prowess"?

Is it too late for MGM/SYFY/Whoever to ask for their money back from Shanks?
:rolleyes:

PS: I'll check later, but those stasis pods look identical to the ones on Destiny, intentional or re-use of props?
--- merged: Jan 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM ---
Just found this tidbit on sg wiki. seems enough ppl liked shanks for him to win trinkets:

"For his performance in this episode, Michael Shanks won the 2004 Leo Award for Best Lead Performance By A Male in a Dramatic Series"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
S7,EP 6 "LIFEBOAT"

Classic schmuckiness, melodramatic acting by Shanks. they really wanted him back for this kind of "acting prowess"?

Is it too late for MGM/SYFY/Whoever to ask for their money back from Shanks?

PS: I'll check later, but those stasis pods look identical to the ones on Destiny, intentional or re-use of props?
--- merged: Jan 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM ---
Just found this tidbit on sg wiki. seems enough ppl liked shanks for him to win trinkets:

"For his performance in this episode, Michael Shanks won the 2004 Leo Award for Best Lead Performance By A Male in a Dramatic Series"

As the saying goes: "There's no accounting for taste." ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so what about the stasis pods on the ship in lifeboat? the people are not ancients. so how close are they to the ones on destiny?

Tropicana

Council Member
Shouldn't it be - the life pods on Destiny are similar to those used in this ep? SG-1 S7 does predate SGU.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Shouldn't it be - the life pods on Destiny are similar to those used in this ep? SG-1 S7 does predate SGU.

right but the ship in "lifeboat" is not an ancient owned one. So, is it just lazy set and prop design on the sgu tptb part? would just be more of the same from that bunch wouldn't it? I thought when the ep started they would come to find out the crew were some long lost ship of ancients, but no, just some schmo's from some other planet who are so tech advanced beyond Earth that SG1 could save them.

I am finding that much of S7 is just 'filler' and trash ep's. A couple important ones like EVOLUTION and BIRTHRIGHT (Whats NOT important with Jolene Blalock in it?:welcoming:) SPACE RACE was just "WHATTTT?!?!?"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
right but the ship in "lifeboat" is not an ancient owned one. So, is it just lazy set and prop design on the sgu tptb part? would just be more of the same from that bunch wouldn't it? I thought when the ep started they would come to find out the crew were some long lost ship of ancients, but no, just some schmo's from some other planet who are so tech advanced beyond Earth that SG1 could save them.

I am finding that much of S7 is just 'filler' and trash ep's. A couple important ones like EVOLUTION and BIRTHRIGHT (Whats NOT important with Jolene Blalock in it?:welcoming:) SPACE RACE was just "WHATTTT?!?!?"

But but but -- I thought they spent millions on producing SGU??? :disillusionment:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But but but -- I thought they spent millions on producing SGU??? :disillusionment:

I don't KNOW if it is the same pods..I haven't felt like looking thru sgu eps yet-but they are very familiar. I would say the millions went to a couple few of the actors mostly.
--- merged: Jan 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM ---
I remember now that I see them again-I kind of like the 'kull' warriors. I think the SFX were really good on them also-like in showing the impacts of their 'blaster fire'.

Thing I don't like about them--and this repeats with the replicators and definitely with the Ori-is the 'unbeatable' aspect of them. Tell me if you shot an AT 4 or LAW into their chest they wouldn't die. When Sam and her dad come up with the weapon to kill them, it is only based on the 'ancient mayan' re-animation box and has nothing to defeat the personal shields the warrior has-that deflects staff and zat guns and weapons fire. So how does the 'killer' gun get through the forcefield? Just an oversight I guess.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Doesn't look like the reuse of props between the episode lifeboat and SGU's stasis pods.

SG1 Lifeboat
Stasis_(1).png

SGU

SGU_216_0399.jpg

For a moment, stasis pod designs are generally the same, even dating back into SG1's season 2 episode: Holiday. Its pretty simple, have some transparent material all iced up with some (optional) metal supports throughout but as along as it shows the face/body clearly, then we know its a stasis pod.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Doesn't look like the reuse of props between the episode lifeboat and SGU's stasis pods.

SG1 Lifeboat
Stasis_(1).png

SGU

SGU_216_0399.jpg

For a moment, stasis pod designs are generally the same, even dating back into SG1's season 2 episode: Holiday. Its pretty simple, have some transparent material all iced up with some (optional) metal supports throughout but as along as it shows the face/body clearly, then we know its a stasis pod.

cool--glad someone had the stomach to look at sgu

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
cool--glad someone had the stomach to look at sgu

Well I just went on the stargate wiki so there was only a brief exposure :tongue:.

Mentioning the Kull Warriors, it is a problem the creative staff have with adding in new things. They always make them overpowered in the beginning (for example the Asgard) then realize they are too powerful so have some device that nerfs then to the combat effectiveness of an innocent puppy. However the Kull Warriors were the first time (since the episode Rules of engagement) that the Goa'uld were showing actually signs of advancing in military technologies and tactics to combat new/current threats. So it was a good idea, just wrongly implemented.

BTW An M136 AT4 (84mm) is a LAW (light anti tank weapon, you are probably thinking of the smaller M72 66mm LAW).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well I just went on the stargate wiki so there was only a brief exposure :tongue:.

Mentioning the Kull Warriors, it is a problem the creative staff have with adding in new things. They always make them overpowered in the beginning (for example the Asgard) then realize they are too powerful so have some device that nerfs then to the combat effectiveness of an innocent puppy. However the Kull Warriors were the first time (since the episode Rules of engagement) that the Goa'uld were showing actually signs of advancing in military technologies and tactics to combat new/current threats. So it was a good idea, just wrongly implemented.

BTW An M136 AT4 (84mm) is a LAW (light anti tank weapon, you are probably thinking of the smaller M72 66mm LAW).
LAW or AT4, use either one...I've fired both of them several times in training and believe me, they are not the "pop guns' they appear to be on film with no backblast or smoke. If you counted the an\mount of times 'actors' fired a law or at4 incorrectly- there would be quite a body count in their backblast zone...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
SG1 Lifeboat
Stasis_(1).png

Check out the cheap light sconces on each stasis pod. How laughably tacky! :anim_59: They don't look like they came from Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware so I'm thinking they probably bought them at a discount "big box" hardware store.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
LAW or AT4, use either one...I've fired both of them several times in training and believe me, they are not the "pop guns' they appear to be on film with no backblast or smoke. If you counted the an\mount of times 'actors' fired a law or at4 incorrectly- there would be quite a body count in their backblast zone...

Ah right, just the way how I categorize weapon systems really, I probably came across as a little bit to 'being on the educated side of things'. About the actors, once again having a military advisor (Army or Marine) on show would of helped in that respect, especially in the fx department (like back blast caused when the weapon is fired, although I think health and safety denies such things, so cgi)a simple thing like understanding the amount of energy being delivered, since most back blasts sound like loud DUFF, whereas in TV it goes poof, or the huge problem later on, when the AT4 suddenly gained a guidance system similar to a stinger missile launcher.

Anyway, getting kind of off track I know I haven't helped in such things. To give a blanket statement I think this is where SG1 should of ended, Lost City two parter ended on a high note since the Earth forces defeated Anubis and every other Goa'uld sort of pales in comparison (yes I know there are many who like Ba'al, yes he was cool in my books but still). I know its just my opinion but Season 8 was the 'we're running out of ideas' season.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ah right, just the way how I categorize weapon systems really, I probably came across as a little bit to 'being on the educated side of things'. About the actors, once again having a military advisor (Army or Marine) on show would of helped in that respect, especially in the fx department (like back blast caused when the weapon is fired, although I think health and safety denies such things, so cgi)a simple thing like understanding the amount of energy being delivered, since most back blasts sound like loud DUFF, whereas in TV it goes poof, or the huge problem later on, when the AT4 suddenly gained a guidance system similar to a stinger missile launcher.

Anyway, getting kind of off track I know I haven't helped in such things. To give a blanket statement I think this is where SG1 should of ended, Lost City two parter ended on a high note since the Earth forces defeated Anubis and every other Goa'uld sort of pales in comparison (yes I know there are many who like Ba'al, yes he was cool in my books but still). I know its just my opinion but Season 8 was the 'we're running out of ideas' season.

Most definitely should have ended right where you say. They could have somehow worked Ba'al into SGA..would have been very interesting, IMO, to see the Goa'uld go up against the Wraith (especially with the Kull warriors). Whose side would the Goa'uld have taken? I am guessing with Earth and other humans..

I think when someone got the idea for bringing in Claudia Black (don't know why exactly, just can not stand her :eek-new:)they should have gotten up and said "Nope, no way in hell, let's leave it lie as is.."