S2E7 "Molon Labe" *Spoilers*

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Hal's ex-girlfriend is a double-crossing bitch. Tom catches a fishhead and arachnophobia ensues - poor Lourdes. :(

Also, Shavedape's question about the machinations of the aliens is answered! :smiley_joy:

And Charleston SC has fresh lobster... Who knew? :tongue:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hal's ex-girlfriend is a double-crossing bitch. Tom catches a fishhead and arachnophobia ensues - poor Lourdes. :(

Also, Shavedape's question about the machinations of the aliens is answered! :smiley_joy:

And Charleston SC has fresh lobster... Who knew? :tongue:

Im getting this right now!

icon_clap.gif

I will post my comments after watching it. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This episode was just "meh" to me. I'm not sure what it is but I just don't feel the tension. The whole Mexican stand-off scenario just didn't carry any gravity. The fact that they didn't shoot the alien chick for being annoying made no sense to me. She just doesn't seem threatening, rather, simply annoying. Yawn.

More Tom and Doc lovey dovey crap. More Tom and Weaver stroking each other's egos. More of Tom's angst and anguish over making a decision to change his tampon (supplies are getting low I guess). Yawn yawn yawn.

The Lourdes thing is just weird. Last season she was evangelical and this season she hasn't mentioned God once. Her boyfriend dies horribly and instead of having her question her faith they simply have her shut down emotionally and become a typical negative teenager. Not that I mind that they didn't go off on a God tangent mind you, but I did find it weird that last season she was a holy roller yet this season she's just meh. I can understand being distraught over losing one's sig other but I find it a little weird that she isn't more hardened having lived in a post apocalyptic world for at least a year now. Still, I suppose I'd be rather bitter if I suddenly lost my squeeze. Maybe they'll have her confront the alien chick and they'll fight it out or something.

As for lobster and warm cognac in SC, they also have gingerbread strip clubs, so basically they're living large there. :daniel_new_anime021

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This episode was just "meh" to me. I'm not sure what it is but I just don't feel the tension. The whole Mexican stand-off scenario just didn't carry any gravity. The fact that they didn't shoot the alien chick for being annoying made no sense to me. She just doesn't seem threatening, rather, simply annoying. Yawn.

More Tom and Doc lovey dovey crap. More Tom and Weaver stroking each other's egos. More of Tom's angst and anguish over making a decision to change his tampon (supplies are getting low I guess). Yawn yawn yawn.

The Lourdes thing is just weird. Last season she was evangelical and this season she hasn't mentioned God once. Her boyfriend dies horribly and instead of having her question her faith they simply have her shut down emotionally and become a typical negative teenager. Not that I mind that they didn't go off on a God tangent mind you, but I did find it weird that last season she was a holy roller yet this season she's just meh. I can understand being distraught over losing one's sig other but I find it a little weird that she isn't more hardened having lived in a post apocalyptic world for at least a year now. Still, I suppose I'd be rather bitter if I suddenly lost my squeeze. Maybe they'll have her confront the alien chick and they'll fight it out or something.

As for lobster and warm cognac in SC, they also have gingerbread strip clubs, so basically they're living large there. :daniel_new_anime021

I like that they removed that whole thing. But Jamal was a good character and he balanced out Lourdes. The effect was great however...those crawly things were WAY scarier than replicators. :) They made my skin crawl. And yet, I still liked this episode!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like that they removed that whole thing. But Jamal was a good character and he balanced out Lourdes. The effect was great however...those crawly things were WAY scarier than replicators. :) They made my skin crawl. And yet, I still liked this episode!

I, too, am glad they removed the God stuff with her, but the critical part of me can't help but notice the glaring change between seasons. Maybe the writers planned to use the Jamal death as a way to have her question her faith but then the notes came down to totally get rid of God references and this is what they came up with. That's how it appears to me.

I actually don't hate the direction they're going with her to be honest. In a way I'm quite glad they didn't get bogged down in a lot of soul searching. The pace of the show seems to have prevented too much of that although they still waste time on it from Tom's perspective. Still, I have to give the show props for keeping things moving. That's a good thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I, too, am glad they removed the God stuff with her, but the critical part of me can't help but notice the glaring change between seasons. Maybe the writers planned to use the Jamal death as a way to have her question her faith but then the notes came down to totally get rid of God references and this is what they came up with. That's how it appears to me.

I concur. I noticed RIGHT AWAY that Lourdes has ceased to be "God Girl" who was way over the top with it in season 1. Not only her, but also all the other Catholic references like that shrine they had in the school they were at last year. The prayers, and Lourdes was wearing a big cross. All of that is gone this season. Pope's Jesus tattoo on his right arm has been obfuscated with another tattoo but it is still there, just toned down.

IMO, religion has no real place in science fiction shows unless it is specific to a single character. Last season, it was pervasive throughout the whole show. The shrine with Mary and the candles, Lourdes (her name as well as her cross and her WAY deep religious convictions in season 1). Recall when Weaver was saying prayers in the mess hall? All of that is gone.

I actually don't hate the direction they're going with her to be honest. In a way I'm quite glad they didn't get bogged down in a lot of soul searching. The pace of the show seems to have prevented too much of that although they still waste time on it from Tom's perspective. Still, I have to give the show props for keeping things moving. That's a good thing.

I am liking the show overall. I do not groan and eyeroll as much as I was doing in SGU.