S04E07 - Miracle Day: "Immortal Sins"

Tropicana

Council Member
1222.png

Synopsis:

Gwen must fight to protect her family and takes a terrifying journey, covering both miles and decades, as the long history of the Miracle is revealed.

Preview:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkiu5k_torchwood-miracle-day-1-07-immortal-sins-trailer-teaser-starz_shortfilms

Airdates:

US: Starz Channel, Friday 19 August 2011, 10PM ET
CAN: Space Channel, Saturday 20 August 2011, 9:10PM ET
UK: BBC One, Thursday 25 August 2011, 9PM

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's already lost me - too slow, too flat and basically boring. And with the bad ratings this is likely farewell to Torchwood.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I gotta say, I'm liking Torchwood, I don't mind the pace simply because I'm enjoying the characters, I held off on watching it until I had 4-5 eps in my DVR and then watched them marathon style, so that may have affected that perception somewhat.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I haven't watched any of this yet but have it queued up for an on demand marathon. Maybe this weekend. :cool:

Tropicana

Council Member
OMG NANA VISITOR IS IN THIS EP!

Though we now know who is responsible for the Miracle (finally!), the question now is - how.

I bet Jack wished he didn't met Angelo, first the constant hacking of Jack's body cos people thought he was the devil including Angelo himself, and now Angelo is behind the miracle - talk about crazy-ass ex who needs to get over Jack.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, it's kind of going slow. The whole flash back episode seemed out of sync with the rest of the story so far. Plus the motivations for what transpired between Gwen and Jack were pointless (and horribly resolved). I'll finish watching the series but I'm not begging for more. If they do another they need to tighten it up and write a more interesting story.

Tropicana

Council Member
loads of ppl on Twitter for instance are saying out of all the episodes so far, this one is best described as classic Torchwood and I can see why, as we delved into the history of Jack himself.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I caved and decided to watch it even though I said I wouldn't. Really slow ep. They really didn't need to go an hour with this flashback. It could all have been told in about 15-20 minutes if they really wanted to go in great detail (less the Hollywood padding). :(

Tropicana

Council Member
The heaviness of the softcore gay sex scenes would be too much for the BBC to air, even for post-9pm watershed timeslot, I'm sure the heavy petting scenes will get snipped when BBC airs this ep next Thurs, which is unfortunate but at the same time, I can understand why, since it would make some uncomfortable viewing for teenage kids who maybe watching this with their parents, especially closeted gay kids.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I thought a lot of the romance stuff was unnecessary. Not because it was homosexual but just simply because it added very little to either their relationship or our understanding of Jack/the story at hand.

For me this went beyond the idea of being slow in order to delve into the effects of a sci-fi event; it was just plain old slow. Plus in the back of my mind I have the knowledge that Children of Earth was actually more interesting and more compelling. The reveal here was a little boring dare I say it. What the show really needed was some crazy reveal that changed everything; here the reveal was simply based on what we'd learnt in this episode.

Don't get me wrong; Miracle Day is a good series. Bill Pullman has been amazing and the re-forming of Torchwood and it's approach to sci-fi have been cool things to watch. I just don't think it's either lived up to the quality of COE or done anything to prove that it has the potential to be better than ever. To put it bluntly; this is a show where nothing is impossible. So why are we dealing with things so tame?

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
This episode had more of an episodic feel and I mean the flashback and we did finally see some alien and trickster brigade being mentioned, although I never watched much of Sarah Jane Adventures, just one episode basically, the one with Tennant in it.
I am really liking this series more than Children of Earth, don't hate me for that, I do like the characters and I am not really puzzled about anything, I understand their motives and all (and that's a good thing because the original Torchwood series made me often puzzled and let's be blunt there was lot of unexplained in the old series as well). People are saying the exactly opposite and this series is being dismissed as something heretic for Torchwood series. But I do have sort of opposite view. This is far better entertainment than SGU, good humor, good tension and action, even if slower. There are faults and that are the mystery of Jack not being fixed point in time anymore, I mean WTF, even this episode confirmed that he was a fixed point in time and that it wasn't retconned which I really feared. And of course some eoisodes were rather dull, but apart from that I think it's pretty decent and I don't understand what the hate is about, I understood it with SGU but not this. Sure, it largely misses alien stuff at this point but as anything else it's a very good series and remember there were some episodes of Torchwood not dealing with aliens at all too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The SGU comparisons come because it does delve way too much into shipping and personal lives and also the lack of likeable characters. Jack in Torchwood is nothing like his Who persona - here he is way too dark and when he had a team was a martinet. Gwen is also too dark and the other characters are totally forgettable.

That said, the big problem with Miracle Day (having suffered through it all) is the weak plot. Lots of out and out illogical items and a Deux Ex Machina ending straight out of the RTD playbook that made people rejoice when he left Who. At least BBC Torchwood had decent plotlines.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I don't think it's as bad. The characters are not unlikeable in this one, in original torchwood sometimes yes, especially season 1, they just acted like a bunch of "children" without responsibility sometimes.

I can also relate to some of the character choices in this series, having been through some parallels in my real life though. Or knew someone like that, etc.
For example I can relate to the whole Angelo thing, I knew a guy who was a closeted gay, but he was so ashamed of it and it kept consuming him that through that guilt, he has made some bad decisions and eventually he stopped talking to me out of the shame and all when he told me the truth. But that is the problem, it consumes his personality because he thinks it's not normal, that it's wrong and bad and unnatural and projects that into him and basically one can then become a monster beacsue of that and beacsue of the decisions made under such pressure. And...there are such parallels and stuff all over the place in this series. This is just one example, but I can stop and think about why this character is acting like this and I always get the answer when I think about it. It is almost genius. SGU had none of that no. The way the characters behaved in SGU was just totally off.

That's of course the drama standpoint, but I get that stuff and it makes sense to me at least. You need to think from it from a bit different perspective.
There was another example I wanted to point out in some earlier episodes but I forgot what exactly it was, however it was something most who watched it didn't seem to grasp, yet some did. I believe it's all because people were expecting just entertainment from this.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's the thing - it's totally off here also.

Jack is not an Earth native and had no such inhibitions. Having him suddenly display them is not logical in a character sense. Plus they have gone totally away from what made Jack a good character in Who. Who Jack was debonaire and learned about self-sacrifice from the Doctor. He was also funny as he hit on everyone he encountered, male or female or other. TW Jack is dark, brooding and like I said when he had a team was a martinet. Gwen is also too dark mooded and lacks any enduring charm. The US characters in this series are utterly lifeless and the plot is naff nonsense. Also, it has totally lost its "british" tone and feel which were essential to making TW work to the extent it ever did.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
That's the thing - it's totally off here also.

Jack is not an Earth native and had no such inhibitions. Having him suddenly display them is not logical in a character sense. Plus they have gone totally away from what made Jack a good character in Who. Who Jack was debonaire and learned about self-sacrifice from the Doctor. He was also funny as he hit on everyone he encountered, male or female or other. TW Jack is dark, brooding and like I said when he had a team was a martinet. Gwen is also too dark mooded and lacks any enduring charm. The US characters in this series are utterly lifeless and the plot is naff nonsense. Also, it has totally lost its "british" tone and feel which were essential to making TW work to the extent it ever did.
Wait a minute what inhibitions are you talking about now? I dicussed this Angelo character not Jack himself. But yes he is different from Doctor Who's appearance but there passed a lot of time for him and he changed and got used to Earth much more. I think you're too biased on Torchwood, maybe as we were on SGU though, although I still think SGU is far worse than anything here.
US characters lifeless? Okay I think they are a tad dull, but I do like Rex in general, there were lot of funny situations involving him too.
I really can't find any character that unlieable as in SGU, oh and any of the sex scenes here weren't disgusting to me compared to the crap shown in SGU, or the actors in general, I remember when overmind linked to some video with this Brian, forgot his second name you know the guy who played that dull marine character, damnit I can't even remember the charcter name in SGU, that guy who kept banging Chloe you know and in the pilot that..what was her name again? See? I can't even remember their names and i did suffer through all episodes of SGU as well. But when there was some scene from other show he's done, involving him getting it on with another male character I found that incredibly disgusting, maybe beacsue I do find him incredibly disgusting, the actor (maybe partially beacsue he played that guy in SGU though). But I didn't have the same problem with the characters here, not at all, be it heteresexual or homosexual sex scenes.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry, I misread and thought you were referring to Jack.

But then, Angelo was so colorless as a character that he was meaningless.

In any event, with the very mixed popular and critical reception and underperforming ratings hopefully we've seen the last of Torchwood. Also the last of Russel T Davies working without a boss to keep his worse instincts in showrunning in line.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Well sometimes people IRL are colorless as well. But really another situation is like when Esther called the social services on her sister, thinking it would help her, instead they separated her kids and it got worse, another real life situation which actually happens more often than you think.

But still, I hope it is not the last of Torchwood as I said they need to go back to the episodic format but this series was great compared to how ended the children of earth, I mean it's very hard to pull any continuation after that.