RUINED: Starship Troopers 3

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just :facepalm: They totally RUINED Starship Troopers 3 with religion. I dont mean just putting a little bit into the movie, I mean almost CENTERING the movie around it. Not just religion, but Christianity...complete with crosses and prayers, and Jolene Blalock and the original actor that played Rico in the original. It was THROWN IN for no apparent reason, and it really turned me off. Just watched the movie on Netflix. There was lots of action and good plot in the beginning of the movie, but then it just broke down into religion. It would have been good without it...but they kept it on full volume until the very end of the movie. :(

NOTE: The only thing that made me smile in the movie was the fact that the planet that the new brain bug was on was named OM-1. :) (it got blown up in the end with a Q-Bomb)

Red Mage

Boney
edit -Nevermind misread your post. I thought you posted that Jolene Blalock played Rico in the original Starship Troopers :icon_lol:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Just :facepalm: They totally RUINED Starship Troopers 3 with religion. I dont mean just putting a little bit into the movie, I mean almost CENTERING the movie around it. Not just religion, but Christianity...complete with crosses and prayers, and Jolene Blalock and the original actor that played Rico in the original. It was THROWN IN for no apparent reason, and it really turned me off. Just watched the movie on Netflix. There was lots of action and good plot in the beginning of the movie, but then it just broke down into religion. It would have been good without it...but they kept it on full volume until the very end of the movie. :(

NOTE: The only thing that made me smile in the movie was the fact that the planet that the new brain bug was on was named OM-1. :) (it got blown up in the end with a Q-Bomb)
I agree! This is one of the movies I stopped watching in the middle. The gratuitous use of religion as a central plot theme ruined it for me as well. :(

OM1, you brain-bug, if they were going to do a hommage to you, they should have done it in one of the first two movies! :icon_lol:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
After reading your post I don't think I'm going to watch this movie. I don't have a problem Jolene Blalock like some people seem to do, nor do I mind religion in my sci fi, as long as it's in there for a reason and it's an important aspect of the plot. But if it's just thown in for no reason I don't like it at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
After reading your post I don't think I'm going to watch this movie. I don't have a problem Jolene Blalock like some people seem to do, nor do I mind religion in my sci fi, as long as it's in there for a reason and it's an important aspect of the plot. But if it's just thown in for no reason I don't like it at all.

The actress and the character Carmen should have been in that film (Denise Richards), not Jolene Blalock playing an unknown character named Lola. And what happened to Carl? (Neil Patrick-Harris)? Instead we get this religious fanatic playing the Sky Captain. UGH. Hated the movie.

S

Stonelesscutter

I should rewatch all of those Trooper movies.
Don't remember that whole religion aspect at the moment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should rewatch all of those Trooper movies.
Don't remember that whole religion aspect at the moment.

Perhaps because there WASNT one until Starship Troopers 3? :mad: Skip the third one, but the second one was pretty okay. :)

Red Mage

Boney
The actress and the character Carmen should have been in that film (Denise Richards), not Jolene Blalock playing an unknown character named Lola. And what happened to Carl? (Neil Patrick-Harris)? Instead we get this religious fanatic playing the Sky Captain. UGH. Hated the movie.

They would would probably taken up too much of the budget. The film had a $9 million budget according imdb. Casper Van Dien, the actor who played Rico is not a particularly big star and mainly acts in made for TV movies. His salary was probably right in line which what they wanted for their lead. Neil Patrick Harris is a regular character on a successful sitcom. He could have wanted too much money since his career is current doing well or maybe there were scheduling conflicts. Perhaps, the studio was will to pay and tried to get Neil and Denise to sign on with the film but they declined the roles after reading the script?