Robert C Cooper - Jump or Pushed?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just looked at the 3d Destiny...WOW

rushed, dumped and Broke FTW! :P

Man, it amazes me how talented some of you are here! But about this subject, it was Cooper who conceived of SGU. The actor in the SG-1 episode "200" was chosen because he looks like Cooper, and that episode was a bit of a parody on him pitching SGU (which came out as the parody). It makes NO SENSE that he would leave this show voluntarily, especially since it was his baby. Im sure it was "strongly suggested" that he leave and allow Mallozzi and Wright and the new writers they brought in to fix the show.

Is it too late? I think so, but its not because of the ratings as much as it is the premise of the show. Because they are so far out in the universe, the chance of meeting humanoid aliens is just about nil. They have already settled in on these characters and they are still unlikeable and will probably remain unlikeable. They have stranded the Lucian Alliance crew on the ship and so they are now part of the show, and those communications stones are still around. All of that spells MEH. The ship is still out of control, and the shaky cam is still shaky. They have to fix the BIG problems like that first.

They still have to resolve the cliffhanger, which means Lucian Alliance for a few episodes, and then they have to deal with the rest of the LA on the ship, then somewhere along the line introduce Robert Knepper as the villain. The season only has 20 episodes, remember? The LA will take up 6-8 episodes according to the TPTB. And now they are talking about Atlantis cameos? I still say the show wont live past season 2.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
:rotflmao:

Talk about death knell. I still can't think about Whispers without bursting into laughter.
I actually liked Whispers, but it was very very badly handled. I liked it more for the potential if had (and didn't realize).

What should have been a dark and actual scary story with some serious ramifications became a scooby doo adventure despite taking a casualty. Its indicative of the stupidity Mallozzi thinks he can pass off as actually good.

my next longer fic will actually be a rewrite of Whispers :p maybe i'll email the link to Mallozzi LOL

Yllek

GateFans Noob
I actually liked Whispers, but it was very very badly handled.

That's why I can't help but laugh! All those blog posts and mailbags about the all-girl!team, the fog, the monsters, how creepy it was going to be. And then we get the most boring episode of the season.

And then months later, after SGA's cancellation, Mallozzi decided to board the edgy-train and "revealed" in a post that Vega was gay and had the hots for Keller. Pfff.

If you ever write that fic, send me a link. ;)

b-dubya

GateFans Noob
I don't get this. Rob was the one that wanted to do something different, something deep and complex instead of a monster-of-the-week type show. He was prepared to leave, according to BW. So he gets what he wants and after a year, quits? Or gets fired? What the hell is going on?

Who will step up for his position? I hope it isn't JMozz. A true showrunner would never let his show get raped like SGA was in the end. Let him be with his blog filled with crappy 'cuisine' food, those lazy pugs and asian hoes and don't let him anywhere near any production action. And even the writing... damn, Window of Opportunity was a loooooooong time ago. He has churned out a lot of crap since then, even if he thinks he's the best writer in this galaxy. And his mailbag continuously shows him to be an arrogant, prepotent and deluded asshat.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I don't get this. Rob was the one that wanted to do something different, something deep and complex instead of a monster-of-the-week type show. He was prepared to leave, according to BW. So he gets what he wants and after a year, quits? Or gets fired? What the hell is going on?

Who will step up for his position? I hope it isn't JMozz. A true showrunner would never let his show get raped like SGA was in the end. Let him be with his blog filled with crappy 'cuisine' food, those lazy pugs and asian hoes and don't let him anywhere near any production action. And even the writing... damn, Window of Opportunity was a loooooooong time ago. He has churned out a lot of crap since then, even if he thinks he's the best writer in this galaxy. And his mailbag continuously shows him to be an arrogant, prepotent and deluded asshat.

low ratings -- thats' what happened to RCC and if you believe it was his choice to leave...well there is a bridge for sale in Brooklyn....;)

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
I think he jumped because the writing room was too small to hold his ego and Wright's at the same time. Yeah, the new "darkness" of SGU was his idea, but what if the execution wasn't what he had in mind? His ep Time was the best of the season IMO, so if that was his vision, maybe the suckiness of the rest of it got him down. Notice he had not a word to say about BW when he left, nor did BW say anything public about him either. Isn't that a bit weird after 14 years or whatever working together? Methinks they got uber sick of each other, got divorced, and Brad got to keep the show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WELCOME!

I think he jumped because the writing room was too small to hold his ego and Wright's at the same time. Yeah, the new "darkness" of SGU was his idea, but what if the execution wasn't what he had in mind? His ep Time was the best of the season IMO, so if that was his vision, maybe the suckiness of the rest of it got him down. Notice he had not a word to say about BW when he left, nor did BW say anything public about him either. Isn't that a bit weird after 14 years or whatever working together? Methinks they got uber sick of each other, got divorced, and Brad got to keep the show.

First of all, WELCOME!

:welcomewagon:

LMAO about the divorce comparison :) I think that TPTB told these clowns that their new format wasnt working for the ratings or the fans and to go back to a "more traditional" Stargate. This most likely was interpreted by Cooper as being a statement of disapproval of his concept and he didnt like it. I think that its also possible that he was "let go" because he was responsible for this show and was taking it in a direction that was incompatible with success?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
First of all, WELCOME!

:welcomewagon:

LMAO about the divorce comparison :) I think that TPTB told these clowns that their new format wasnt working for the ratings or the fans and to go back to a "more traditional" Stargate. This most likely was interpreted by Cooper as being a statement of disapproval of his concept and he didnt like it. I think that its also possible that he was "let go" because he was responsible for this show and was taking it in a direction that was incompatible with success?

The thing is even if they try to go back to the old format, who will that please? the new fans like the direction its going as do the old timers that are already watching it. people who have tried but didnt like it are unlikely to come back when its the same characters in the same situation. if you dont like them nothing short of replacing the characters will work IMHO of course!

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
First of all, WELCOME!

Thanks for the welcome! I think someone else mentioned, if he was "let go" due to the bad ratings, then why is the show not changing direction? I don't see any sign of a shake-up in the concept. Just the opposite with Syfy deciding to pair it with Craprica for 2 hrs of non-stop gloom. I just feel RCC was too powerful both legally and politically to be pushed out. JMO of course.