Pseuds Corner

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Camille Paglia's enthusiasm for sf sublimities earned her a Private Eye 'Pseuds Corner' appearance in November: '... it is emotionally overwhelming, with the intensity and sweep of a Puccini opera. The long finale of Revenge of the Sith, leading up to Darth Vader's tortured fabrication and the birth and separation of the twin babies Luke and Leia, is in my view the most powerful work of art in any genre in the past 30 years – including literature.' (Huffington Post interview, 11 July)

http://news.ansible.co.uk/a305.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Clearly she was being sarcastic. How could she not be?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Clearly she was being sarcastic. How could she not be?

Private Eye thought she was being sincere, and I agree.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/camille-paglias-glitterin_n_2042904.html

But it was the volcano-planet climax of Revenge of the Sith that knocked me for a loop. When I would happen on that, I was transfixed, paralyzed. Not only is it visually spectacular — with its complex interweaving of live footage, computer animation, and ingenious model-making — but it is emotionally overwhelming, with the intensity and sweep of a Puccini opera. The long finale of Revenge of the Sith, leading up to Darth Vader’s tortured fabrication and the birth and separation of the twin babies Luke and Leia, is in my view the most powerful work of art in any genre in the past 30 years — including literature.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I'm not sure what version of Revenge of the Sith that Paglia saw but it sure as hell wasn't the same one I did. ;)

She's also clearly a hyperbolic contrarian for the sake of getting attention. She's got a new book to pimp after all.:daniel_new004:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Those women are simply products of 21st Century cynical marketing strategies. They're hardly artists despite any claim to being so. Whatever artistic talent they developed as burgeoning artists early on has been over shadowed by the corporate management of their careers. For every song these "artists" write there's a highly paid production team in the studio that re-writes them into something homogenous and pop-palatable for the airwaves.

And Taylor Swift can't sing. She's auto-tuned and "corrected" when playing live, or rather, "live". She got heavily criticized a few years back when she attempted to actually sing live during her performances and it quickly became apparent that she has a very thin, monotone voice. I saw her butcher Brenda Lee's "I'm Sorry" back before her producers convinced her she needed to sing to a recorded track. It was painful. Some guy even started a site called Taylor Swift Can't Sing, that's how bad she is live and that's how much people have noticed. Now she's always singing to a recorded track when she plays live and whatever actual singing that comes out of her mouth and goes into the mic is definitely mixed to be "stronger" before it comes out the speakers. There's a lot of tweaking that they can do live nowadays which helps explain the explosion of all these no-talent "artists" suddenly.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I went and saw Iron Maiden when they came out in 2008, and they sounded just as good then as they did back in 75 when they started out.
Modern "music" simply cannot hold a candle, let alone a raised lighter to the music of days gone by.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I went and saw Iron Maiden when they came out in 2008, and they sounded just as good then as they did back in 75 when they started out.
Modern "music" simply cannot hold a candle, let alone a raised lighter to the music of days gone by.

I loved their album covers featuring Eddie. You can almost see a story from cover to cover with each successive album.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's have Taylor Swift sing "Under My Thumb" with no electronic help or correcting...

Bluce Ree

Eddie is always on the cover dude :lol:

I know, dude. I used to collect all their albums as a kid. Loved their album art on both sides of every album. Piece of Mind, for example, had Eddie chained in a padded room in a straight jacket with a latch to keep his head closed. On the back cover, chains were broken and the straight jacket was left on the floor.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

That's what was great about "the good old days". Sure artists could be perfected in the studio since the vinyl days, but they had to be able to recreate their sound live or they would generally fail when it came to touring and longevity. There was no producer helping them out when they got on stage; just them and a microphone and a band that actually played their instruments. But now most artists don't get "battle tested" and have this huge safety net of artifice to protect them. (I'm reminded of all the one-hit wonders of the disco era who had their heavily produced songs played on the radio but when it came time to tour and do live concerts they either didn't do it or they disappointed their fans and then they were done. Contrast this to someone heavily produced in the studio but who also had the chops to back it up -- Donna Summer. When she toured she wasn't able to rely on someone to make her sound good on stage, she had to do it herself -- and she did. The bitch had some serious pipes.)

Now though audiences are eating this crap up like it's crack. Have we really raised a generation (or two) of kids who don't know how to truly appreciate music and genuine talent? :disturbed:

P.S. A friend just showed me Mylie Cyrus on this VH1 Divas show and at best I can say her performance was weak. Her voice simply isn't that good and she doesn't have vocal chops. They also put her voice thru something that raises the pitch so she sounds completely whiny and nasally in both live performances and in the studio. Just listen to her song Party in the USA (yes, it's okay to laugh at that title) and you will be assailed by this whiny, chipmunk-like voice that is definitely not her real singing voice. I saw her do a live duet with Sheryl Crow last year on some show and you could tell it was really live as Mylie's voice was in a lower register and sounded more like her talking voice (which sounds like a 2-pack a day smoker -- seriously, it's like she gargles drain cleaner). Fast forward to her other performances where her people are in control of the sound board and suddenly her voice is much higher (although it's still horrendous).

She's also a bitch, but that goes without saying. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Shaved, I'm willing to go back further than vinyl :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yea, to me modern music seems more about how good of an attention whore you are rather than actual musical/vocal talent/aptitude, especially with modern sound editing/rendering.

Bluce Ree

The music industry has started using a piece of software called "Auto-Tune", which is used to adjust the vocal pitch to match a sound track.

Here's a list of artists who have used Auto-Tune:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Thrashisawesome/artists_who_have_used_auto_tune

It can be used to both adjust the vocal tone to sound natural or to give that silly robotic effect. Some artists use it full time, including during concerts (when they're not lip-syncing). Basically, Auto-Tune can turn any jackass off the street into a singing sensation. It just depends on whether that jackass fits the look being sought after at the moment.