Pork Rinds

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I assume they would be used as a replacement for croutons yes?

Exactly. And they do the job quite well, provided you season them first. :)

G

Graybrew1

Darlin' I love ya but this is America and we don't need you bringing no fancy schmancy European "culinary" ideas to these shores, m'kay. :nono: :congratulatory: :anim_59:

Dude........I think it is a Mexican dish, not an European one. Who brought them up???? :wink-new:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dude........I think it is a Mexican dish, not an European one. Who brought them up???? :wink-new:

I always thought "red beans and rice" was a French (Creole/Cajun) derivation hence the European comment. Plus you're over in Europe right now and your head is being filled with all sorts of seditious thoughts. God only knows what philosophical horrors Stoneless has exposed you to already.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I always thought "red beans and rice" was a French (Creole/Cajun) derivation hence the European comment. Plus you're over in Europe right now and your head is being filled with all sorts of seditious thoughts. God only knows what philosophical horrors Stoneless has exposed you to already.

frightening! :psychosga:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LOL! :smiley-laughing024: So Gray, you jumped the pond to meet Stoneless? Did he show you his shoelaces collection yet? :smiley-laughing021: (I wuv you Stoneless!). IIRC, Cajun style cooking is not at all a transplant, but more of an extension. The ingredients found in many Cajun dishes are not available in Europe. The red beans and rice dish known in the South does not have a counterpart in French cuisine.

G

Graybrew1

It all depends on how you make them. It seems if you use the black beans and mexican seasoning it is mexican but if you use the red beans and cajun seasoning it is french creole. Can we call it a drawl?

Do you have a specific question that you have about my horrors? LOL.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Rice and beans are the staple food of nearly all Latin American and Caribbean cultures.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Two pages on pork rinds? If the 100,000th post ends up here someone should ship Bluce Ree a case of the stuff. :icon10:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
a friend from florida (NOT named guido! ) once described cajun cooking thus: whatever is crawling on the floor that day! :anim_17:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Southern Cooking 101:

1. Shoot it (or scrape it up from the asphalt)
2. Clean it (well, rinse it a little, maybe)
3. Bread it
4. Fry it
5. Serve it with a sauce.

Bon appetit!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
South Florida is pretty much Little Latin America. There's hardly any traditional "southern food" here. It's mostly Latin and Caribbean cuisine. Lots of Cuban, Peruvian, Dominican, Haitian, Argentinian and Brazilian. I love those Brazilian steak houses! They keep serving you prime cuts of meat until you turn that green/red cork over to indicate enough is enough. :icon_lol:

Haven't seen any roadkill buffets or muskrat soup kitchens. I think they have those close to the northern border of Florida and in the bible-belt states. Down here, there's far too much Latin influence.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Southern Cooking 101:

1. Shoot it (or scrape it up from the asphalt)
2. Clean it (well, rinse it a little, maybe)
3. Bread it
4. Fry it
5. Serve it with a sauce.

Bon appetit!

:thoranime12::shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024: