Phyllis Diller passes

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The Phyllis Diller Show! What is sad, is that few if any people will remember her if they are younger than age 40 or so. :( I loved Phyllis Diller. The crazy hair, the crazy outfits, I remember her most like this:

Phyllis_Diller.jpg

Somehow, I think of the late Flip Wilson when I think of Phyllis. Rest in Peace, Phyllis! You made me happy many a night when I wasnt so happy. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
200px-Phyllis_Diller_Allan_Warren.jpg

Another great one leaves us. It's sad how few people know of her today. She was a pioneer for women comedians and she had this amazing work ethic. Her humor wasn't dirty or smutty but simply self deprecating and acerbic. She turned making fun of oneself into an art form. As it is I don't see her equivalent in today's comedic world. :(

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I was saddened to hear of her passing. While she was never one of my favorite comediennes (and she was deserving of that spelling, btw), she was certainly a comedic force to be reckoned with.

Rest in Peace, dear lady. I'm sure that you have your own showroom, wherever you are now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
View attachment 7511

Another great one leaves us. It's sad how few people know of her today. She was a pioneer for women comedians and she had this amazing work ethic. Her humor wasn't dirty or smutty but simply self deprecating and acerbic. She turned making fun of oneself into an art form. As it is I don't see her equivalent in today's comedic world. :(

I can hear her trademark laugh right now. :) Unique in all the world.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Farewell to the trailblazer

Loved Phyllis Diller and her act featuring comments about her "husband Fang"....she was married several times but once quipped that "fang" was with her forever! As has been said, no smutty humor,no using filthy language for shock value, just pure comedy! LOVED her! I am sure Bob Hope was waiting so they could do another USO show! :) RIP Phyllis, you were definitely one class act!