Pets - Short Sci-fi Movie

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Glad someone else shares the same vision as I do. This was great.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So humans can't speak anymore?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That second one is interesting, but the ending is weird and feels as if it doesn't fit with the rest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That second one is interesting, but the ending is weird and feels as if it doesn't fit with the rest.

I got it, but it was still weird. It implies that the new robot in the box loved the grandma (that is the weird part), and she had promised the little robot she would take him to the circus. She died in her chair, and the robot did not understand death and thought she needed new batteries. But she was dead. He created a digital dream of himself and the grandma going to the circus after all.

I have a problem with anything showing A.I. having emotions or robots which are created with them. Nobody in information technology or A.I. is going to create such a thing. It would have no purpose. A child would fill that role, not a robot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Glad someone else shares the same vision as I do. This was great.

So, that is your vision? I don't understand. It appears in that world of the video that those little flying ball robots are "keeping" humans as pets. How would they get that power, and why would humans create them? Most of all, why would anyone willingly be led around by a tether connected to a robot? Most guys I know would just quickly wrap the tether around their wrist and spin that ball around a few times before smashing it against a wall.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So, that is your vision? I don't understand. It appears in that world of the video that those little flying ball robots are "keeping" humans as pets. How would they get that power, and why would humans create them? Most of all, why would anyone willingly be led around by a tether connected to a robot? Most guys I know would just quickly wrap the tether around their wrist and spin that ball around a few times before smashing it against a wall.
My vision is a very dark dystopian future which is what reality is.I don't want to run away from the truth. Pretty soon we will be heading towards robots controlling us and the robots will be ruled by a dictator. Most people will be okay by this,

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My vision is a very dark dystopian future which is what reality is.I don't want to run away from the truth. Pretty soon we will be heading towards robots controlling us and the robots will be ruled by a dictator. Most people will be okay by this,

Alright, but this is your vision and it is different than the vision of others. I guess I have to tell myself that too. My vision is very different from yours, and neither is better or worse than the other or right or wrong. I am learning the value of observation over interference. :) Life is a growing process of some sort, all the way to the end.

PS: You need an avatar!

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Alright, but this is your vision and it is different that the vision of others. I guess I have to tell myself that too. My vision is very different from yours, and neither is better or worse than the other or right or wrong. I am learning the value of observation over interference. :) Life is a growing process of some sort, all the way to the end.

PS: You need an avatar!
but I see that as a challenge to make life and the people around me for the better. Unlike a lot of the rich cronies, I actually care about the human race.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

I understand how you could be envisioning the future in the way which you are doing, but honestly I have no fear about this. I recognise that you are in a position where your imagination (and that of others) has carried you away far from our current reality. I have actually found myself in such a position in the past for quite a while. At some point you will come to the realisation that things didn't quite come to pass in the way you had expected (as it rarely does) and you will be able to adjust your perspective to a more realistic one. I'm not saying that your worries are unwarranted. But you are thinking of worst case scenarios. And there are 7 billion other people in the world affecting things and together they will make sure that the worst case scenario won't happen. Think about the worst case scenario and think about the best case scenario. Then thing about what might be the middle ground between those two, and that vision would most likely turn out to be closest to reality in the future.

Little anecdote:
I recall telling a good friend at some point in the past (probably about 10 years ago, maybe at most 15) that I envisioned that within 50 years we would be seeing flying cars. Flying cars meaning some kind of personal transportation which flies, not necessarily resembling a car as we see it currently. He thought that was ridiculous. Within about three years from then I read about flying taxis in Japan. This has strengthened my original hypothesis and so I will say now that I still expect to see personal flying vehicles being used quite regularly in about 35 to 40 years or so.