Pandorum and The Penitent Man

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
anyone seen either of these? i saw pandorum a while back and the penitent man last week.

the first is a bit towards the horror side but i did like the twist at the end and the concept of their mission

the second is a sci-fi film with no sfx or cgi that i could detect. it is basically a sci-fi film through dialogue alone. it is basically the reasons why a man decided to build the technology he did. think of if a film was made that only focused on the reason why the stargate's creator was motivated but without showing the sg.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
anyone seen either of these? i saw pandorum a while back and the penitent man last week.

the first is a bit towards the horror side but i did like the twist at the end and the concept of their mission

the second is a sci-fi film with no sfx or cgi that i could detect. it is basically a sci-fi film through dialogue alone. it is basically the reasons why a man decided to build the technology he did. think of if a film was made that only focused on the reason why the stargate's creator was motivated but without showing the sg.

I was chatting with my brother about Pandorum. It was almost as scary as Alien! Love the movie, but there were special effects in the form of camera tricks and sped up footage, as well as some wires and rubber-faced characters. Still it did not take away at all from the movie and I loved it. Have not seem penitent man.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was chatting with my brother about Pandorum. It was almost as scary as Alien! Love the movie, but there were special effects in the form of camera tricks and sped up footage, as well as some wires and rubber-faced characters. Still it did not take away at all from the movie and I loved it. Have not seem penitent man.

it was scary in the first exposure to the creatures because they just kind of "popped" out. the way it was filmed. i was really interested in the mission they had. made me wonder if they would be making a follow up

you would probably like penitent man. if you absolutely positively have to have sfx and explosions, etc-then it isn't for you. it is a running dialogue type of thing.

reviews said it was "predictable" but that is easy to say in hindsight

LUNAPOLIS was also entertaining-a b movie budget wise but imo, pretty decent acting--no over acting by wannabe's--and a very involved script. it involves moon bases, immortality, the beliefs of the church of scientology, time travel, wormholes, conspiracy theory and the MAYAN APOCALYPSE!!!!
:joy:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Saw Pandorum awhile back and liked it for the most part. No spoilers but I figured out the gimmick with Dennis Quaid early on. It wasn't hard to do. The ending was kind of cool though.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
how is Alien "SCARY" in ANY way? and how the hell is pandorum scary by that comparisen.. having seen both pandorum and the alien films i have NEVER been scared by either...

seriously... wtf.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
how is Alien "SCARY" in ANY way? and how the hell is pandorum scary by that comparisen.. having seen both pandorum and the alien films i have NEVER been scared by either...

seriously... wtf.

Its an adjective. I did not feel ACTUAL fear, since it is a freakin movie FFS. :shame: Having said that, the proper adjective for Alien for me would be "scary" and second choice might be "thrilling". Pandorum would be the same two adjectives. If you had to attach a single word adjective to Alien or Pandorum, what would it be?

blanket.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

seriously... wtf.

Alien was uber scary in the best way possible. Ridley Scott allowed us to use our imaginations; it wasn't what we saw as much as what we didn't see. Hell, some of the lamest parts are when we get a full look at the alien, like when it pops out of Kane's stomach, well, that little finger puppet was almost laughable. And then when we see the grown adult alien for a split second in the tube with Dallas, well, it's painfully obvious that's just some guy in a suit.

Listen Rac-- sorry, I mean OMNI -- it's the psychological tone and setting of the movie that is scary. There's a claustrophobic feeling to the film. There's a strong feeling of total isolation. There's also a feeling of a growing loss of control as events unravel (not unlike my romantic life, go figure). There's a feeling of helplessness in the face of a stronger enemy, etc. There's a ton of scary stuff in that movie.

Alien may not be heavy on the SFX but it more than makes up for it in terms of scary story telling.

The Hammer has spoken! (...and The Hammer wishes you Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :welcoming:)

OMNI

Its an adjective. I did not feel ACTUAL fear, since it is a freakin movie FFS. :shame: Having said that, the proper adjective for Alien for me would be "scary" and second choice might be "thrilling". Pandorum would be the same two adjectives. If you had to attach a single word adjective to Alien or Pandorum, what would it be?

View attachment 27642
sci fi.
--- merged: Dec 19, 2012 at 8:10 AM ---
Alien was uber scary in the best way possible. Ridley Scott allowed us to use our imaginations; it wasn't what we saw as much as what we didn't see. Hell, some of the lamest parts are when we get a full look at the alien, like when it pops out of Kane's stomach, well, that little finger puppet was almost laughable. And then when we see the grown adult alien for a split second in the tube with Dallas, well, it's painfully obvious that's just some guy in a suit.

Listen Rac-- sorry, I mean OMNI -- it's the psychological tone and setting of the movie that is scary. There's a claustrophobic feeling to the film. There's a strong feeling of total isolation. There's also a feeling of a growing loss of control as events unravel (not unlike my romantic life, go figure). There's a feeling of helplessness in the face of a stronger enemy, etc. There's a ton of scary stuff in that movie.

Alien may not be heavy on the SFX but it more than makes up for it in terms of scary story telling.

The Hammer has spoken! (...and The Hammer wishes you Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :welcoming:)

nope not seeing it and if any of you actually find alien and pandorum in anyway scary you are lost causes idiots and retards unworthy of further interaction.

and wish me that bullshit at the end there 1 more fucking time and see what happens. PLEASE.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
nope not seeing it and if any of you actually find alien and pandorum in anyway scary you are lost causes idiots and retards unworthy of further interaction.

20323941.jpg

and wish me that bullshit at the end there 1 more fucking time and see what happens. PLEASE.

1150187090_800x600_hello-kitty-and-christmas-wallpapers.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why would I edit it and deprive the world of your scintillating weltanschauung?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why would I edit it and deprive the world of your scintillating weltanschauung?

I deleted that shit...I really dont have time for this bullshit. I am preparing for the all-hands meeting at the company I work for and I am really effing busy right now. Lets keep things civil, shall we?

OMNI

I deleted that shit...I really dont have time for this bullshit. I am preparing for the all-hands meeting at the company I work for and I am really effing busy right now. Lets keep things civil, shall we?
obviously you wernt in on the fucking joke.... should have been apes job to hit delete ;)

there is nothing to keep civil.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im sorry....Im stressed out right now. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i just thought pandorum was cool. a different angle on the same old story

looking at long term space flight in this way-and the things that could go wrong, is too often left out of movies

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
almost 10 yrs later and Pandorum is finally getting more attn. not enough, but still

and i think it would be great if some streamer, like say- AMAZON, looking for content, made a sequel series that was centered on the after story of life for the survivors on the new planet..

anyhow this YT'r call it a 'horror movie'. i doubt and never have. in my first post i said it was a bit on the horror side. as in it is a sci fi film with horror aspects.

I would call EVENT HORIZON a Horror film in a sci fi setting with sci fi aspects. these two movies 'draw my line' between the two genres

Other question-- in this day of instant everything at our fingertips, why is it that it still takes this long for a movie to grow 'buzz'?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeKMH2if_r4&t=507s

----------------------
now if the PENITENT MAN could get some love... :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think in part it is that the films now are such utter crap that people in desperation start looking down the hallways of history for something better - and find it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Seeing some names in this thread brings back memories of days gone by.

Still haven't seen Pandorum by the way, but then I have zero interest in horror, even if it's only slightly related.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seeing some names in this thread brings back memories of days gone by.

Still haven't seen Pandorum by the way, but then I have zero interest in horror, even if it's only slightly related.
I watched this movie, and it was good for when I watched it, but I am like you...not interested in horror (anymore). I just don't need the images or concepts of horror films or shows in my head at all. I am desperately searching for optimism and hope in my entertainment and I am not finding much of anything new. They are even making Superman evil now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Tomorrow War ends up optimistically.