Outer Limits #101: "The Sandkings" - Episode Info and Discussion Thread.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
The Sandkings

bscap0015bp1.jpg

PLOT - A scientist steals some specimens of Martian life from his workplace laboratory to continue his research at home.

WRITER - Melinda Snodgrass (based on story by George R. R. Martin)
DIRECTOR - Stuart Gillard
CAST - Beau Bridges, Helen Shaver, Lloyd Bridges, Dylan Bridges, Kim Coates, Patricia Harras.

(MGM didn't upload this episode on YouTube, but you can find it on Hulu and elsewhere)

Sand_Kings.jpg

*** Major spoilers beyond this point ***

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
This is the 1.5-hour pilot for the 1995-2002 series

A little bit of trivia:

CAST - Beau Bridges, Helen Shaver, Lloyd Bridges, Dylan Bridges, Kim Coates, Patricia Harras.

- The roles are played by Lloyd, son Beau and grandson Dylan.
- Beau Bridges was nominated for an Emmy for this episode.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Hmm... so there are three Stargate alumns in this episode. Green for the person who can figure out the two who aren't Beau Bridges without using Google, Wiki, IMDb, etc.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I just posted the info before rewatching the episode. Let me get back to you on that :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One of my favorite stories of all time.

The Sandkings

PLOT - A scientist steals some specimens of Martian life from his workplace laboratory to continue his research at home.

WRITER - George Martin & Melinda Snodgrass
DIRECTOR - Stuart Gillard

(MGM didn't upload this episode on YouTube, but you can find it on Hulu and elsewhere)

*** Major spoilers beyond this point ***

I love the Sandkings! I first read it as a short story in print before the movie/pilot was made. The book told the story better IMO but its one of my favorite stories of all time. I have that in my collection :) I think I will watch it tonight.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Hmm... so there are three Stargate alumns in this episode. Green for the person who can figure out the two who aren't Beau Bridges without using Google, Wiki, IMDb, etc.
OK, I give up. Everybody on that episode looks familiar, even the dog... I'll leave it to someone else (like GF'76??? :D)

Red Mage

Boney

I had no clue so I imdb'd the entire cast of the episode. There's actually atleast 3 actors besides Beau who appeared in SG-1.

Red Mage

Boney
Since no one knows I'll post the actors who appeared in this episode that also had a role in an episode of SG-1.

(actor)-(OL character/role)-(SG-1 character/role)

Beau Bridges -Dr. Simon Kress- Landry
Patricia Harras- Debbie -Fake Carter (Memento Mori)
J.B Biven- Security guard -Guard #1 (Children of the Gods)
David Cameron -Medic/Overseer #3/Technician #1- Elder (One False Step)

Good job to ESA for noticing these background characters appeared in both series. I don't think most would notice.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Sand Kings is an awesome episode and I have watched it a couple of times . The performances from all the actors are excellent and the story is so gripping and darn scary by the time it reaches the end . Makes you look at bugs a little differently now lol !!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The anthology entitled Sandkings is where I first read the story (I love scifi anthologies!)

The original publication of this story was in an anthology by George R. R. Martin and is better than the OL version, imo. The complete story can be downloaded in PDF form HERE and the book can be purchased on Amazon HERE and is well worth the $10.88 they want for it. It was published in 1981, a year after I joined the military, and was one of my favorite books to read whilst in the field. There are several great stories in that book!

058b51c88da05a02be8b1210.L._AA300_.jpg