OMG...Syfy UK is already airing the new V! I would bet my right arm that Syfy US will buy it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
According to this, Syfy UK is going to start with season 2 of V on Thursdays at 8:00pm. This is the NEW series with Elizabeth Mitchell and Morena Baccharin, not the old V. Is this a portent of things to come for the series? V is not a ratings leader for ABC, but on Syfy US, it would be a blockbuster at 5 million viewers per week. It was speculated on this site that V might be picked up by Syfy if ABC dropped it. Well this is proof that the company is interested and has taken ACTUAL steps to acquire it:

http://www.syfy.co.uk/shows/v

Capture.png

OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE LET THIS BE A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME!!

I was just about to post in the V thread that the show has finally picked up and next week's episode looked just as exciting as the one that aired tonight. Unfortunately with the ratings being the way they are I'm afraid that ABC might have already made their decision.

I think this show is a PERFECT fit for SciFi with a 13 or so episode arc, and with the ratings that they're pulling in for ABC now, I see it as a win-win situation for everyone involved.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
There's no doubt it would be a good fit, but I seriously doubt Syfy can afford to pay for a 3rd season. It'd be interesting to get some behind the scenes response about the shows changes of moving to cable if the worst happens.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
False!

My bro is saying V is...very cheesy...True?

The original could be called "cheesy", although the word "campy" would be more appropriate. You owe yourself. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The original could be called "cheesy", although the word "campy" would be more appropriate. You owe yourself. :)

Is the 2nd season of the new one better than the first? I haven't got round to checking it out yet due to my growing annoyance with what they did in Season 1 (in saying that I enjoyed the finale quite a bit).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is part of your habit of not checking the facts.

There's no doubt it would be a good fit, but I seriously doubt Syfy can afford to pay for a 3rd season. It'd be interesting to get some behind the scenes response about the shows changes of moving to cable if the worst happens.

You are innocent and naive. I dont mean it in a bad way, but its a fact. :). You should know that ABC is owned by Disney as is Syfy. So being able to afford it has nothing to do with it. Its all about what demographic they are trying to reach with the show. The fact that Syfy UK is ALREADY airing the new series season 2, doing the same for the US channel is a no-brainer. Its just a matter of moving things around a bit. WHY dont you check your facts when you say things like this? How hard is it to do a few simple Google searches to see if your theories hold any merit?

Aaaaaaany way. V is already in Syfy's house. Now its just a matter of whether or not it will move in.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
You are innocent and naive. I dont mean it in a bad way, but its a fact. :). You should know that ABC is owned by Disney as is Syfy. So being able to afford it has nothing to do with it. Its all about what demographic they are trying to reach with the show. The fact that Syfy UK is ALREADY airing the new series season 2, doing the same for the US channel is a no-brainer. Its just a matter of moving things around a bit. WHY dont you check your facts when you say things like this? How hard is it to do a few simple Google searches to see if your theories hold any merit?

Aaaaaaany way. V is already in Syfy's house. Now its just a matter of whether or not it will move in.

All I was thinking was that the show looks similar in budget to the Terminator TV show they had running on FOX, a show that was said by its creator to be cheap for a network show, but still too expensive to be funded by a cable network.

I remember reading an article on how much Chuck cost to make per episode and event that was stretching it compared to what Syfy spends; Chuck being one of the cheapest scripted shows on TV at the moment.

If it was an easy move there'd be a lot more "bubble" shows ending up on cable than there is now.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

And let's not forget the fact that you mentioned awhile back that "V" is produced with a lot of green screen technology and has limited physical sets. This is actually a plus nowadays for producing sci-fi shows and makes it more economically feasible for sci-fi shows to be produced for a cable network. Plus a show like "V" would bring with it a huge, ready made audience should it move to SyFy.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they produced "V" season 3 at Bridge studios on the now defunct SGU stages?
:laughing:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Check again...

Errrr... Last time I checked, Syfy was owned by NBC/Universal. If it was in some manner owned by ABC, they could (and I'm sure would) shuffle at least the repeats over to Syfy -- as NBC has done with "The Event."

ABC is owned by Disney:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company

Sufy is a franchise operation, some of the stations worldwide are co-owned by Disney (search). A complete overview of who owns what is here:

http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main

Expand the sections to see the details. Disney owns or partially owns LOTS of stuff. They now own 27% of Hulu as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I stand corrected!

Sorry, OM1, I perhaps didn't make my point very clearly. :)

ABC does NOT own Syfy, that would be NBC/Universal. However, Syfy UK is definitely airing the new V as a regular entry on their lineup. Its just a small step for Syfy US to follow suit if ABC decides to let it go. :) ABC is owned by Disney, and NBC/Universal is owned by GE.