Oculus Rift

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Don't know how to quite explain it, so youtube vid instead:

Forgive the moron in the vid:

Basically enables 1st person view of existing videos, more immersive? Sort of a step forward for virtual reality environments.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't know how to quite explain it, so youtube vid instead:

Forgive the moron in the vid:

Basically enables 1st person view of existing videos, more immersive? Sort of a step forward for virtual reality environments.

That would be AWESOME! But there would have to be decent accuracy. I would totally like to do that for first person. :) But it wouldnt work for strategy games. COOL!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
The first video guy had a wacky set up involving lots of different kinematic motion involved. Imagine if you could extend that to involve not just ground based but also air based kinematic motion, like flight enabled games. I haven't researched or looked up things properly as I'm not a gamer, but are there games specifically designed with this Oculus Rift in mind? It's nice to have this for existing games but would like to see its potential fully realized in a game specifically designed to utilize the potential of this thing.

Red Mage

Boney
I'm not excited for VR. I don't want to have to strap a big goofy looking headset to my face. Get back to me when they can get the tech down to the size of a normal pair of sunglasses, then we'll talk. Even then I'm not sure I'm interested. Maybe I'm just not into looking like I'm impersonating a Stevie Wonder/Ray Charles performance while I'm playing a video game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow, so this old thread is from 2014, and here it is in 2020 and I have an Oculus Rift S! I can say without hesitation that VR is the best new technology for entertainment to come out for a long, long time. I have now had it for about a year, and it has transformed my free time. At first, I was spending excessive amounts of time playing games in it, but after a while, and more varied VR experiences, I usually spend about an hour or two in it on a daily basis. I use it for gaming, meditation, adventure, stress relief, exploration, learning, and it is well worth the investment.