Nostalgic Scifi, Fantasy and Horror!...remembering "the old days"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think that part of what we have seen is directors and producers being spoiled by advanced SFX. They have forgotten in most cases how to use music, dialogue and even subtle things like shadows to set the mood and tone of scenes without spending millions on CGI.

I watched an old Irwin Allen made for TV movie last night named "City Beneath the Sea". It was a future story about an undersea city that used some of the craft he later employed in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (like the flying sub). While the effects were good for the day, what made it work was a solid storyline and excellent character actors who actually acted. Yes the dialog has some unintentionally hilarious moments but overall it reels you in and holds your interest. If it were made today I expect that the whole movie would revolve around CGI spectacular scenes which is the reverse of how this film is - the special effects serve the story not the other way around.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
OMG!!!! That particular episode STILL makes me jump. The specific episode name I do not remember, but it had this little ship with those ant/joker faces in it, and Martin Landau was walking out of a building and they were coming down the wall. RIGHT THERE. Still makes me jump. :)

Im looking forward to this Space 1999 if they preserve some of the simplicity of it. If they overcomplicate it or use too many special effects, it will not go far. Im thinking they may do it right. Still, the whole moon thing...

You know what? The best science fiction deep space series that was never made was...Silent Running. :) That movie could have spawned SEVERAL shows, and nobody has tapped it yet? :facepalm:. The original "Green" movie. :)
That movie was one of the few times that Bruce Dern didn't play the bad guy, although he did become rather homicidal in trying to protect his forest.

It still makes me a bit weepy, watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCJGx9rcBs

Yes, it's the full movie.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That movie was one of the few times that Bruce Dern didn't play the bad guy, although he did become rather homicidal in trying to protect his forest.

Well he did kill his crew mates. Technically he could be considered the bad guy. The whole thing was a fascinating premise and was done very well for the time. The movie still holds up today. I hope they don't remake it because you know they will alter it into some dumb, 3D, CGI abortion that loses the theme completely.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

How can the full movie be on there??? :shep_lol: PERFECT for a GateFans Rewatch :) Amazing how the writers managed to develop the two droids Huey and Louie as characters without either of them having a real face, speaking no words. And the poignant ending....pure art. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I don't consider him to be a bad guy in the movie. Maybe call it a psychotic break, as he seemed to be the only person who actually cared about the forests they were all tending. His crewmates had no problem destroying the forest pods, and Dern was the only one who realized how very wrong that would be.

The funny thing is, you will often see clips from "Silent Running" used in other space movies. It's turned into a "spot the Valley Forge" game around Casa Insanity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well he did kill his crew mates. Technically he could be considered the bad guy. The whole thing was a fascinating premise and was done very well for the time. The movie still holds up today. I hope they don't remake it because you know they will alter it into some dumb, 3D, CGI abortion that loses the theme completely.

They could EASILY slice it's throat by just making the two droids speak actual words...even if just electronic. The droids in Silent Running do NOT talk. They MUST be small like the ones in the movie. They cannot look humanoid. There can be no energy beam weapons, and the Valley Forge cannot have a brewery for an engine room and look like an interstellar hot rod. THERE CANNOT BE A LARGER CREW. Although I suspect they will diversify the all-male crew and include a woman and a minority. They have lots of wiggle room for an update, but not completely to the point of changing the very foundations of the movie or the premise. Watch that movie, then try to be conscious of what it is you like about it. :)

What I come away with is the over-arcing story of the soulless and sanitized earth, stripped of its natural beauty in the form of forests and animals. I love the way in the movie that they NEVER show earth. They speak with earth via the dodgy radio and grainy video. If they change that, it ruins the movie. This movie is about nature, about beauty and spirituality, and it is also about morality. We do not need to see earth without the forests. It is implied by the very existence of the Valley Forge. I could go on and on about this movie as though I were admiring a painting. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't consider him to be a bad guy in the movie. Maybe call it a psychotic break, as he seemed to be the only person who actually cared about the forests they were all tending. His crewmates had no problem destroying the forest pods, and Dern was the only one who realized how very wrong that would be.

That's what's so fascinating about this movie, it evokes some deep discussion about morality, etc. I love it when a well-written "bad guy" isn't wholly bad and/or isn't a bad guy; when he or she has legitimate reasons for acting the way they do. I know it's a weird example of what I mean but "Elphaba (the wicked witch of the West") is like that. She's not really bad, she's just misunderstood and has lots of bad press. Another example might be Gaius Baltar from NBSG. I loved how they kept him relatively human and flawed and conflicted and not a cliche' bad guy. I got that with Dern's character in Silent Running. He's not a caricature of what a bad guy is; his motives and actions are actually worthy of dissection and discussion.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
How can the full movie be on there??? :shep_lol: PERFECT for a GateFans Rewatch :) Amazing how the writers managed to develop the two droids Huey and Louie as characters without either of them having a real face, speaking no words. And the poignant ending....pure art. :)
seriously? are you surprised? FYI there are TONNES of full movies on the tube you just have to know what too look for..
also if the movie is a tad older its more then likly on the tube and nobody really cares..

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While we're talking oldies but goodies, how about "The Forbin Project"? That was VERY well done.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
While we're talking oldies but goodies, how about "The Forbin Project"? That was VERY well done.

It sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't believe I ever saw it.

One of my all time favorite movies. Would you recognize it if it were its full name of "Colossus: The Forbin Project"? It was the original Computer vs Mankind movie. The grandaddy of them all. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One of my all time favorite movies. Would you recognize it if it were its full name of "Colossus: The Forbin Project"? It was the original Computer vs Mankind movie. The grandaddy of them all. :)

Here is a little taste of Colossus:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think I've actually seen the Colossus movie! I've been trying to remember the name for years.

If you haven't, you owe yourself. I have had it in my collection for years. :) Seen it perhaps 50 times?

S

Stonelesscutter

I watched this. It was interesting. They just don't make movies this way anymore. I spotted a sneaky Coca Cola plug in it too. :) Anyone else catch that?

The movie I was talking about is Silent Running. I replied to Illiterati's post with quote but somehow it just made this new post. Weird.

Just added the quote.