Nielsen to rate TV shows based on Facebook likes & Twitter trends - Will abandon people meters

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ter-trends-will-abandon-people-meters/126179/

Nielsen Media announced today that it would be abandoning its trademark people meters as data gathering devices for its television ratings measurements and would begin using Facebook Likes and Twitter Trends instead.

Reached at its NY headquarters, a Nielsen spokesman explained the decision:
We get a lot of criticism about being outdated and behind the times, but what could be more up to the minute than Facebook and Twitter?
We'll use our proprietary techniques honed over decades of convincing people that our people meter numbers were accurate to now convince them that the numbers derived from Facebook and Twitter mean something.

And we're not done yet. Our research labs are already at work on incorporating online poll results and P2P download counts in future ratings measurements.

He also noted that today is the kind of day when lots of unusual things seem to happen.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i hope so.. as this is just another thing that would aid FB in its quest for world domination.... i LOTHE facebook and that it somehow now has and continues to swallow up thigns like this... NOT EVERYONE HAS FACEBOOK FFS!!!!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Didn't you guys follow the link? :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i hope so.. as this is just another thing that would aid FB in its quest for world domination.... i LOTHE facebook and that it somehow now has and continues to swallow up thigns like this... NOT EVERYONE HAS FACEBOOK FFS!!!!

I hate Facebook too. :mad: I posted a thread here about it, and when they started that timeline crap, my friends who are on it were like...WTF? They did not realize that their netflix viewings, daily activities and posts on other websites would be listed. People just dont get what has happened! Not 10 years ago, the CIA and FBI would literally KILL to get their hands on the information people routinely post on facebook. In fact, Facebook and Twitter are the first places they look for clues and leads in cases. That and public email like Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. Look what they did to Sarah Palin with them? I hate it and I deleted my account. The thread is here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/showthread.php/3019-OMG-I-am-so-leaving-Facebook!?highlight=facebook

This Nielsen thing better be a joke, and from the responses I think it is. If this was real, the nimrods who were multi-spamming for SGU on Facebook would have gotten it renewed. :icon_lol:

OMNI

I hate Facebook too. :mad: I posted a thread here about it, and when they started that timeline crap, my friends who are on it were like...WTF? They did not realize that their netflix viewings, daily activities and posts on other websites would be listed. People just dont get what has happened! Not 10 years ago, the CIA and FBI would literally KILL to get their hands on the information people routinely post on facebook. In fact, Facebook and Twitter are the first places they look for clues and leads in cases. That and public email like Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. Look what they did to Sarah Palin with them? I hate it and I deleted my account. The thread is here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/showthread.php/3019-OMG-I-am-so-leaving-Facebook!?highlight=facebook

This Nielsen thing better be a joke, and from the responses I think it is. If this was real, the nimrods who were multi-spamming for SGU on Facebook would have gotten it renewed. :icon_lol:
yeah its Fookin crazy how freely peopla hand over all this information and TRUST a PRIVATE company with it... sure i have an account BUT i do not have it linked to anything i dont use it for anything and i have absolutly NO personal information of any kind on it the email i used to register it is also bogus... infact everytime i register anywhaere i do it with a bogus email adreess and i intentionally do not share any information about the real me anywhere online, ffs i even refuse to do my banking online (i also do not use credit cards or paycards ONLY CASH) also i accses the internet on an unregistered prepaid 3G dongle, my phone is also prepaid and unregisterd AND i payed CASH for the phone itself when i bought it see i like people not being able to keep tabs on me...

but this FB crap is so far beyond people sharing their persoanl shit what bugs me is when government institutions are like go to our face book page use our facebook app etc etc... a while back i thing the swedish IRS was actually using facebook like that... AND that is what is so far beyond INZANE imo... facebook which imo is a social community and PRIVATE enterprise SHOULD NOT be allowed to host such things nor should people encourage or accept that it does... CRAZY!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
While this was an April Fools joke, networks and studios already pay attention to what is trending on sites like Twitter to decide what's working and not working. I've spoken with people who work in places where they have entire departments put together to do just that and to post their own "personal" stuff to attempt to influence that trending.

There are people (like me) who use things like Facebook to help market their product(s). So many people now ask if you have a FB page and/or if you use Twitter, that it's basically pretty stupid not to have one or both now. I don't like it a bit, but that's how it is. :P

You're right, OMNI, it's very crazy.

I know plenty of people out there with "business" FB/Twitter pages who do not friend their real friends or family, because they don't want the overlap and resulting data mining.

--and if they're smart, they don't use their real name when they set up the page(s).

OMNI

im quite happy that if one googles my name NOTHING comes up related to me :)

OMNI

Well, except for the fact of your omnipotence, correct? ;)

I wouldn't have it any other way.
well not really no... google omnipotnent and check for yourself im sure something comes up but hardly on the first 20 or so pages...
if you google ALX or alxshipyards ALOT coes up tho :)

but yeah all this stuff going around latly that potential employers etc google you before hiring you etc really doenst effect me as they dont even get a link to my FB page and even if they did find the my facebook account i share nothing publicly there so all theyd get would be the notification that i dont share with non friends etc..

i feel good about not coming up on a google search..