Nerdrotic hit with copyright strike

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And prohibited from posting livestreams. Per Gary's post the source is a bot company in Spain and he is contesting it as the video had no content therein that did not fall squarely under fair use.

In the meantime his livestreams will be on his Nerdrotic Live channel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And prohibited from posting livestreams. Per Gary's post the source is a bot company in Spain and he is contesting it as the video had no content therein that did not fall squarely under fair use.

What??? What brought the copyright strike? Is there a link? I am going to go over there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I cannot find anything about this on Gary's channel or on his website. Do you have a link or a screenshot? Where did you read that (bolded)? Please provide a link. Thanks!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/user/sutrowatchtower/community

It is the newest post from Gary.

He also put it on Facebook on March 26th.

https://www.facebook.com/NerdroticPodcast

Okay, I watched about 45 minutes of that video. Wow, this is disturbing! It makes me grateful for this place where we have been able to openly discuss every show and movie we want to see. I am not making any money doing this, however. :). I removed the Google ads and there is no monetization of this site. I am not sure if any of you would support GateFans on Patreon unless there were also videos and perhaps merchandise and a MUCH larger membership base.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hopefully we're too tiny to be detected by these sorts of things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hopefully we're too tiny to be detected by these sorts of things.

Right now we are. There is enough stuff in the threads here to strike.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See, this is why article 13 is a bad idea. This is what it's capable of doing...Let the chaos begin...The beginning of the end of the internet. Infact, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a sinister plan to destroy it.

Destroy what?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See above - the internet and destroy competition mainly. Youtube is competition to big corporate media and they absolute loath it because it's killing their viewer ship and now that article 13 has passed, all they need to do is give it a nudge and they can simply let the laws of newton take care of the rest. Think of this way, you would need to create content that's 100% original. That's impossible because everything is a remix. The move for creative freedom will be limited and these guys who have a fuck load of money, can simply screw the little guy over once they start to notice him or her by torturing them psychologically or basically stealing their hard earned money. It's going to be perfectly legal because they have got deep pockets and your avenues of justice will be limited given that life's a monopoly board.

The internet cannot be "destroyed". It is a computer network. There is absolutely nothing preventing people from creating their own computer networks other than knowing how to do so. And that Article 13 does not apply in the United States. YouTube will change, but as soon as it becomes too much trouble to deal with, a competitor will come out of nowhere to fill the void. Gary in his video talked a bit about that.

I don't understand why you live in fear EVERY DAY of your life. I couldn't function if I did that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here you are again with your shortsightedness. What isn't banned there, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't. Give it enough momentum and if you can pay judges and politicians enough money, anything can pass.

"What isn't banned there, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't." = FEARFUL COMMENT. What isn't banned here doesn't necessarily mean that it will be banned here later = OPTIMISM.

Remember how downloading mp3s were illegal and are still? People got jailed for using napster/kazaa and the RIAA/MPAA have tried so hard to get the laws pass in their favour. Now that it has entered the EU, it's only a matter of time, that it enters the US because US needs to comply with international laws too just like the GDPR crap, they need to comply with the rules.

That is different. Theft of intellectual property, hacking, intentionally spreading malware or setting up phishing sites, yeah go ahead and make that all illegal. But the EU is doing this because they want to control what is said independently of their control. I say they are idiots for doing that, but then again, there is no US Constitution containing a 1st Amendment guaranteeing Free Speech binding the EU to making policies to protect it like there is in the US. And no, the US does not have to comply with international laws or any law from any other nation unless we want to. There is a bully pulpit, and the US is sitting in it. We are the boss of ourselves, as unfair and arrogant as it seems. If anything, the US will make international laws and force other nations to follow them or be hit with sanctions.

Essentially, someone from Europe who has deep pockets and there are a lot of them, can say, oh that belongs to me, bang copyright strike - it could damage

While a new competitor is good, moving away is going to be hard. Youtube is like my paradise. It's filled with endless joyful entertainment and so much music out there. It's also got educational and philosophical videos but the capitalist wants to make more money from it and destroy a otherwise peaceful world. A capitalist has a destructive mind.

I live in fear because I have PTSD and also because I live in a prison state myself pretending to be a democracy and there is no way out.

Okay, I can sympathize with the bolded part. But you do not live in a prison state yet. You do not seem poor, so what is stopping you from getting a passport and leaving Australia?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They get away with it on YouTube because YouTube is allowing it. But on your own site they actually have no such power because the owner is following the laws of the country in which they reside. We have fair use laws here which everything we have posted is well within.

The key right now is to put pressure on Google who owns YouTube and is a US company to cease enforcing foreign laws on American citizens.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Per Gary today he won the strike today and is back to full status.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jesus christ - just look what happened to randomgameruser42. Like I was saying what the motive behind article 17 is...This is big corporations flexing their arms and then these corporations wanting to take control over what we watch...

I think you have issues with understanding exactly who is really in charge here. It isn't the studios. The studios will change and adjust if the fans reject what they are offering. They are already doing it.

They can want all they desire. :) The reality is that the big media corporations will die if people stop purchasing tickets to movies, or buy merchandise or watch shows. There is literally a historical graveyard of media studios and companies which went belly up after fans stopped being interested in their stuff.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It looks like randomgameuser42 got hit with a copyright strike by CBS and is fighting it. Note that Gary fought his and got it rescinded quickly. The key is to fight the strikes and challenge the complainant to back up their complaint. At least it is per YouTube policy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It looks like randomgameuser42 got hit with a copyright strike by CBS and is fighting it. Note that Gary fought his and got it rescinded quickly. The key is to fight the strikes and challenge the complainant to back up their complaint. At least it is per YouTube policy.

I have been following this closely. Mecha sent her email already, but she has not had her livestream privileges restored yet.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And Mecharandom42 won her strike:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And Mecharandom42 won her strike:

Yep, I was on her livestream. I saw you on Nerdrotic's livestream! Even a little superchat donation for Gary. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Again the key is fighting the strikes. YouTube has a problem right now with third party “companies” using bots to surf videos and auto file strikes basically to make money off someone who hired them to.