Mythbusters shoot cannonball through California home

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Were they wearing their eye patches and skull & crossbones hats during the "stunt"?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
From the sound of it this is sort of dually the fault of Adam and Jamie for testing at the firing range and not their explosives testing place in New Mexico and the police for allowing a cannon to be test fired on the range. Hopefully the new rule of thumb is all tests above small arms are done at the bomb range.

And Mythbusters still rocks big time!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
From the sound of it this is sort of dually the fault of Adam and Jamie for testing at the firing range and not their explosives testing place in New Mexico and the police for allowing a cannon to be test fired on the range. Hopefully the new rule of thumb is all tests above small arms are done at the bomb range.

And Mythbusters still rocks big time!

Thank goodness no one was hurt. That said, I do suspect the victims have hit the lottery though. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thank goodness no one was hurt. That said, I do suspect the victims have hit the lottery though. :P

Not really. Both the show and the City of Alameda have insurance which will pay for the damages and there was no intent to cause any damage nor from the sound of it any negligence - so no grounds for suing.

SciphonicStranger

Not really. Both the show and the City of Alameda have insurance which will pay for the damages and there was no intent to cause any damage nor from the sound of it any negligence - so no grounds for suing.

Still, if someone shoots a cannonball through your house you'd think you'd get something extra. :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It sounds as though it was Grant, Carrie and Tory who made this happen. They most often work separate from Jamie and Adam now on stuff, so they don't have to work quite so hard.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
After reading the threads on the Mythbusters forums it seems that way. The result will likely be Jamie (he owns M5 and as such is everyone's boss) putting a tighter rein on the "B" team.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
After reading the threads on the Mythbusters forums it seems that way. The result will likely be Jamie (he owns M5 and as such is everyone's boss) putting a tighter rein on the "B" team.
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

He has to be absolutely furious and scary to behold at the moment.

Walruses are like that, you know. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I couldn't beleive it was the show, I thought it would have been rank amatuers, not so-called "pros"...someone needs to check their math! :P

SciphonicStranger

I always thought they filmed their tests in remote areas where there was no chance anyone could get hurt. This one is just FUBAR. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They use the alameda bomb disposal range for tests also, and the bomb range safety officers cleared the test. That's why Alameda is reviewing is safety procedures.

petermoore

GateFans Noob
"Don't do this at home." The phrase is repeated constantly on the "Mythbusters" television program. But perhaps some tricks they should just leave alone altogether. Tuesday, the hosts and crew of the well-known science program sent a cannonball hurtling into a Dublin, Calif. neighborhood, causing an array of destruction. No one was injured by the incident. The program may face several repercussions from what happened. Article Source: Mythbusters causes damage.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The article is a little out of date. Per Adam Savage on Discovery.com forums production is back up and running. The Alameda police is looking into safety regs at their bomb range and in fact they approved the experiment.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm still convinced they were just trying to pillage the neighborhood.

10575-Scary-Pirate-Mask-large.jpg

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They have said that they will not be airing that particular experiment. They have promised to make everything right with those people who experienced damage because of the accident.

I have to wonder when the homes were built there, versus when the range was established.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The range predates the homes by quite a long time. It was a bargain price subdivision they built and people bought in knowing a bomb range was there.