My beef with New BSG

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Not Dutch this week but Swedish. Good thing is I have no idea what they're saying, although I suspect it's something about starting a riot or, at the very least, a fist fight (preferably at a Black Friday sales event). :icon_e_confused:

They are probably trying to tell you to buy some violent video game so that you can be beat down Nordic style! :lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They are probably trying to tell you to buy some violent video game so that you can be beat down Nordic style! :lol:

Unfortunately I don't own a purse so I can't beat anyone down "Nordic style". I figure something like this (replete with brick inside) might work in a pinch -- plus it's thread specific! Win/win!!! :winking0052:

BBP14801lg.jpg

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Unfortunately I don't own a purse so I can't beat anyone down "Nordic style". I figure something like this (replete with brick inside) might work in a pinch -- plus it's thread specific! Win/win!!! :winking0052:

BBP14801lg.jpg

Ah, keeping this thread on topic I see. You are a real mod now. :)

(I so want that lunchbox)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do you then think that the military in SGU should have submitted to Wray's authority? I expect the rules are somewhat different when you're out of touch with Earth, and can't have elections to vote someone into office... not enough candidates.

I liked that SGU had a lesbian character, but why did Wray have to be a power-hungry bitch? That's pandering to stereotypes if anything is. Now, if TJ had been lesbian, it would at least have been reasonably original.

No, because Wray was an employee of the military/government right? Only elected or those appointed/delegated by elected officials (PoTUS, VPoTUS, SECDEF) have constitutional authority over the military.

Employees fall into the chain of command. In today's military you can find deployable units with civilians assigned in non-combat roles. Many of these civilians are subject to deployment/ military authority as well. It is a condition of their employment.

That bit with Wray was just TPTB taking liberties with the ignorance of America on real military rules. At the time, if TJ had been lesbian-self admitted-she would have been processed for discharge. So much about TJ they got wrong. Mainly, her position. A medic. Enlisted people are medics. officers (as TJ was) are nurses, PA's and Doctors. Again, more playing up the ignorance.

You know our military has units where people sometimes get assigned when they are not fit to perform their duties for whatever reason. Officers and enlisted. These units are non-deployable as most of the people can't be trusted with responsibility or a weapon. I would say that every 'principle' military person in SGU would in reality be in one of those units and not sent to a high security, high importance base such as Icarus.
Some say BSG showed a lot of non professional non military type troops. But two things, their world just came to an end, some bad behavior is to be expected. Then, the Galactica was being decommissioned, most of her crew would have already been shipped out to other assignments. Galactica was mainly staffed with people nearing the end of their enlistments/commitments (such as Adama's retirement. Remember the new, "hot shot" viper squad that was being re-assigned to Caprica from Galactica? the one ho got shredded cause of the cylon virus?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
No, because Wray was an employee of the military/government right? Only elected or those appointed/delegated by elected officials (PoTUS, VPoTUS, SECDEF) have constitutional authority over the military.

Employees fall into the chain of command. In today's military you can find deployable units with civilians assigned in non-combat roles. Many of these civilians are subject to deployment/ military authority as well. It is a condition of their employment.

That bit with Wray was just TPTB taking liberties with the ignorance of America on real military rules. At the time, if TJ had been lesbian-self admitted-she would have been processed for discharge. So much about TJ they got wrong. Mainly, her position. A medic. Enlisted people are medics. officers (as TJ was) are nurses, PA's and Doctors. Again, more playing up the ignorance.

You know our military has units where people sometimes get assigned when they are not fit to perform their duties for whatever reason. Officers and enlisted. These units are non-deployable as most of the people can't be trusted with responsibility or a weapon. I would say that every 'principle' military person in SGU would in reality be in one of those units and not sent to a high security, high importance base such as Icarus.
Some say BSG showed a lot of non professional non military type troops. But two things, their world just came to an end, some bad behavior is to be expected. Then, the Galactica was being decommissioned, most of her crew would have already been shipped out to other assignments. Galactica was mainly staffed with people nearing the end of their enlistments/commitments (such as Adama's retirement. Remember the new, "hot shot" viper squad that was being re-assigned to Caprica from Galactica? the one ho got shredded cause of the cylon virus?

As I recall, she was part of the civilian committee created by Kinsey overseeing the SG program. SG was under their jurisdiction. That's probably why they had written that whole Wray part in.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Right, but the efficacy of shields is questionable as we know. Remember that SGU episode with Park getting caught in the nursery when the glass dome blew out and there was all that fire and she almost got sucked out into space but she didn't but instead she went blind and OMG?!!! :eek: ...

Anyhoo, yeah, I remember BSG had blast doors that would come down and close when Galactica was in combat. I guess if you're gonna have glass on an inter-stellar craft you'll have to do something like that instead of just relying on shields, whatever those are (has any show ever told us?).

Incidentally, BSG was a bit more realistic in this regard as we know the efficacy of metal blast doors in combat verses the imaginary strength of shields, which are just that at this point -- imaginary (not unlike the voices in my head, or so the docs have told me :winking0052:).

In regards to BSG, did the Galactica actually have glass windows as part of its original design? I know remember that one of the flight pods was turned into a museum and given glass windows prior to the miniseries (there was some character complaining about leaks in one of the first scenes), and that there was a viewport of sorts in the front with glass windows as well. But there isn't really any need for a vulnerable glass viewport with movie theatre style seats on a warship, so that would probably have been added during the museum conversion as well. Other than that I can't remember there ever being any other glass windows on the Galactica itself.
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM ---
As I recall, she was part of the civilian committee created by Kinsey overseeing the SG program. SG was under their jurisdiction. That's probably why they had written that whole Wray part in.

She was IOA, so basically just a pencil pushing bureaucrat like Woolsey.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
In regards to BSG, did the Galactica actually have glass windows as part of its original design? I know remember that one of the flight pods was turned into a museum and given glass windows prior to the miniseries (there was some character complaining about leaks in one of the first scenes), and that there was a viewport of sorts in the front with glass windows as well. But there isn't really any need for a vulnerable glass viewport with movie theatre style seats on a warship, so that would probably have been added during the museum conversion as well. Other than that I can't remember there ever being any other glass windows on the Galactica itself.
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM ---

She was IOA, so basically just a pencil pushing bureaucrat like Woolsey.

Right! They were the IOA but were given jurisdiction over the SGC by the President.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Right! They were the IOA but were given jurisdiction over the SGC by the President.

of course this is where the fiction comes in on top of the sci fi (though of course many conspiracy ppl believe it really happens anyhow) For the President to do something like this would be beyond his powers. When Kinsey was a senator, they portrayed him as more of some sort of executive. Senators do not have direct authority over squat. They have their committees and their panels but in the end they can only recommend. Even if they vote no on an appointee the president can put that person to work anyhow (recess appt). So when Kinsey threatened to close down the SGC we should all know in reality he couldn't do that. And was Kinsey a senator from Colorado? Not that it restricts him, but to be sure if any decreased military spending takes place in a state that state's senators and house members will try to stop it. They may not know what the program is they just want to not lose votes by losing money.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I'd have to go back and rewatch the mini-series and/or the first season to find the exact scene but I thought there was a moment when the bridge was protected by blast doors lowering over the "windows". If not, if the battlestars were completely sealed environments with no glass view ports then that would be a good move in terms of structural integrity.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I'd have to go back and rewatch the mini-series and/or the first season to find the exact scene but I thought there was a moment when the bridge was protected by blast doors lowering over the "windows". If not, if the battlestars were completely sealed environments with no glass view ports then that would be a good move in terms of structural integrity.

Nope, there was no such thing. The bridge, or CIC as they called it in the show, was actually in the the centre of the ship, so it was quite well protected (probably the safest part of the ship).

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
So that bit the writers actually got right. They basically navigated using the DRADIS (BSG-speak for radar) and they had viewscreens all over the CIC. Not a viewport/window in sight! Smart, really, considering that Galactica didn't have electromagnetic shields, or for that matter energy weapons. Their guns shot solid objects.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nope, there was no such thing. The bridge, or CIC as they called it in the show, was actually in the the centre of the ship, so it was quite well protected (probably the safest part of the ship).

Okay good to know. I didn't want to have to sit thru the entire show again just to figure it out, lol!

(*I actually might be thinking of the original series. A quick check shows that Adama orders "raise shields" and then blast doors would close. Here's a link: http://www.tecr.com/galactica/weapons/weapons.htm)

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
You probably are thinking of the original series.

That said, the vipers and shuttle-type craft did have glass windows. Or maybe transparent aluminum. :p