MGM considering a return of Stargate SG-1? This in from Gateworld

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
slide.jpg

I just came across this from Gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2012/04/is-mgm-about-to-revive-stargate-sg-1/

Wow, what a day! Tonight the Stargate Convention in Vancouver, is buzzing with excitement about an earlier announcement made by independent producer, Darren Thomas. Fans were treated to previously unreleased news about MGM’s collaboration on a new SG-1 App designed for smart phones and tablets. The scoop from Thomas is that MGM is reviving SG-1 albeit in a new format — music to the ears of many fans around the world. Thomas didn’t want to divulge more, but he did say that “plans are underway and I wish I could tell you more. The good news is that we will be unveiling something big at this year’s Comic-Con in San Diego.” But in the meantime stay tuned for more information right here on the SG-1 official MGM page.

;) Reading the article in full, it appears that this article is discussing some sort of game or perhaps a different sort of presence as opposed to a full fledged series. The usual wheels are not turning which would indicate reviving the series itself, but perhaps a game or online presence of some sort?

If they have not learned from their mistakes, they could ruin SG-1 like they ruined the franchise with SGU. They just CANNOT reskin the show and make it "new and hip" unless they get some new and hip WRITERS to do it. Brad and Mozz and Cooper are neither new or hip. Then again, they cant get TOO new and hip or they will not have an audience. Personally, I think they need a movie before trying to revive the spinoff. The cancerous SGU tainted the franchise more than they know, IMO.

Also, they need to be concentrating on Atlantis if they want to come back big. SG-1 is already tired and FINISHED. Atlantis still has lots of legs left. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Shoulda kept reading bud :)

It's a mobile app game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Shoulda kept reading bud :)

It's a mobile app game.

So it seems, without them directly saying it. :) SG-1 was a great platform for a game. It would have been nice for there to actually have been STARGATE on the air to help sales though...:cool:

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Very misleading article. I guess GW is desperate now to get people back on the forums, lol. Was not happy about being mislead like that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Very misleading article. I guess GW is desperate now to get people back on the forums, lol. Was not happy about being mislead like that.

Neither was I. My "high probability" folder in my web crawler search for "Stargate revival" returned this hit from Gateworld because it is in my search parameters. Interesting bits in that article. This caught my eye the most:

A live-action revival for Stargate SG-1 in any form seems unlikely. While it is simple enough to arrange for former SG-1 cast members like Richard Dean Anderson (“Jack O’Neill”), Christopher Judge (“Teal’c”), or Claudia Black (“Vala Mal Doran”) to contribute voice work, reuniting the cast on screen is a tall order. Michael Shanks (“Daniel Jackson”) is currently working on his new series Saving Hope (filming in Toronto), for example. And, while awaiting word on another season of Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping (“Samantha Carter”) is directing for the new series Primeval: New World.

Amanda Tapping (“Samantha Carter”) is directing for the new series Primeval: New World :smiley_squee::joy:

The rest of that article is very dubious to me. Sounds like a simple licensing deal for a game, and the "studio involvement" is most likely a consultant guiding the look and feel of the game. Woop de frackin doo. :roll: They ended the article with this:

Until we know more, we’d advise caution on the speculation — and keep it locked on GateWorld for the very latest!

Why didn't they just say "Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting, misleading titillation when we will tell you to tune in the next day too!"

clear.gif

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
they learned from Mallozzi I swear! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The rest of that article is very dubious to me. Sounds like a simple licensing deal for a game, and the "studio involvement" is most likely a consultant guiding the look and feel of the game. Woop de frackin doo. :roll: They ended the article with this:

Until we know more, we’d advise caution on the speculation — and keep it locked on GateWorld for the very latest!

Why didn't they just say "Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting, misleading titillation when we will tell you to tune in the next day too!"

clear.gif

How pathetic that GateWorld is so desperate for attention that they've sunk to such fraudulent "journalistic" practices. I'm not surprised that they continue to suck a gigantic bag of dicks though. That was an easy call. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They'll do anything they can to stay in the news.

Sorry, kiddies, but a game app isn't SG-1.

Nice try, Gateworld drones.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They'll do anything they can to stay in the news.

Sorry, kiddies, but a game app isn't SG-1.

Nice try, Gateworld drones.

This is a bit off topic but I really wanna hug that thing in your avatar. It's hitting my cute meter something fierce.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This is a bit off topic but I really wanna hug that thing in your avatar. It's hitting my cute meter something fierce.
It was from a photoshoot a gal did at a zoo. It's a not a lemur, but I can't remember what it is...

When I saw it's face, it reminded me a three year old (or Ape) waiting eagerly for the next part of the story. ;)

(Love you, Ape!)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was from a photoshoot a gal did at a zoo. It's a not a lemur, but I can't remember what it is...

When I saw it's face, it reminded me a three year old (or Ape) waiting eagerly for the next part of the story. ;)

(Love you, Ape!)

Wait...that is NOT a lemur? Are you sure?

EDIT:

Yep, its a lemur. Whew! I know my animals :)

lemur-007.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SHAMEFUL. This runor is still being spread about Stargate possibly being revived

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2012/05/08/new-stargate-headed-our-way/

sciceofscifi.PNG

:mad: I am going to refine my crawlers to see if we can find any tidbits. I just refuse to believe that MGM will allow such a lucrative franchise and an important property like Stargate to languish in the archives. I am definitely hoping for a return of Stargate, but I think it is more likely to be a movie or two first, then perhaps a return to the small screen. Also, I think it might be unrealistic to think that any of our original characters from the series will reprise their roles except perhaps from the original movie. Who knows? If they revived Atlantis, however, I think the likelihood of a return of some original characters would not be out of the question. :)

Proof that this misleading rumor is being spread via several scifi websites:

Capture.PNG

I say it is a MARKETING PLOY to sell the new app. Not gonna buy it, sorry!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Copied from me over at GW:
(mine is red)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by duffarama
Totally agree with you. I think Stargate is much safer in Brad Wright's hands because he is less concerned about money, and more focused on the entertainment value to Stargate fans around the world.

Say WHAT now??
That being said, the more that the franchise is based around what most Stargate fans want - the more money the television shows/movies will make. And I would be more than happy to pay for a DVD movie or DVD boxset (or even a ticket to a feature film). Anything is possible folks!

The *only* thing that even *remotely* gives me hope with the future of SG *as a property, not any of the 3 existing shows*, is this "apparent" draconian stance on fan produced/marketed use of the property. To *me* that indicates that *someone* in MGM is paying attention.
[/end]

What we are seeing is just the usual fanwankery coming to the fore again, and I'm sure it will get smacked on the head by people without too much problem.
As for SGA coming back, of all the 3, it would be the most likely considering the actors ages and "apparent" lack of current commitments, but even still, I'm not sure. The fan says yes, the "business person" says it would be a mistake to do anything related to BW's Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Copied from me over at GW:
(mine is red)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by duffarama
Totally agree with you. I think Stargate is much safer in Brad Wright's hands because he is less concerned about money, and more focused on the entertainment value to Stargate fans around the world.

Say WHAT now??
That being said, the more that the franchise is based around what most Stargate fans want - the more money the television shows/movies will make. And I would be more than happy to pay for a DVD movie or DVD boxset (or even a ticket to a feature film). Anything is possible folks!

The *only* thing that even *remotely* gives me hope with the future of SG *as a property, not any of the 3 existing shows*, is this "apparent" draconian stance on fan produced/marketed use of the property. To *me* that indicates that *someone* in MGM is paying attention.
[/end]

What we are seeing is just the usual fanwankery coming to the fore again, and I'm sure it will get smacked on the head by people without too much problem.
As for SGA coming back, of all the 3, it would be the most likely considering the actors ages and "apparent" lack of current commitments, but even still, I'm not sure. The fan says yes, the "business person" says it would be a mistake to do anything related to BW's Stargate.

Precisely. And I believe there is some legal barbed wire on that path. I believe that Brad has locked down much of what he created under the Stargate licensing he had from MGM. I believe he might own some of the rights to stuff used in Atlantis, but I do not know for sure. I agree with you, Brad Wright's Stargate and the shows created under him are "untouchables" now. Still, MGM holds all the cards. I just think they do not have a crreative head to do a new series. But a movie is more than possible, and Emmerich wants to do them.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Hindend

How pathetic that GateWorld is so desperate for attention that they've sunk to such fraudulent "journalistic" practices. I'm not surprised that they continue to suck a gigantic bag of dicks though. That was an easy call. ;)

Darren Summer, the author of the piece, did not have to sink that low. Remember, he is friends with Hinman (Hindend) of Airlock Alpha (formerly syfy.com) fame. Hindend was the one who told Amanda Tapping that fans said that she was to blame for the end of Stargate Atlantis. Hindend was the one who claimed that Caprica was going to be renewed. Hindend was also the "entertainment journalist" who quoted MGM's Wikipedia article in an article he wrote about the history of MGM.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Darren, the author of the piece, did not have to sink that low. Remember, he is friends with Hinman (Hindend) of Airlock Alpha (formerly syfy.com) fame. Hindend was the one who told Amanda Tapping that fans said that she was to blame for the end of Stargate Atlantis. Hindend was the one who claimed that Caprica was going to be renewed. Hindend was also the "entertainment journalist" who quoted MGM's Wikipedia article in an article he wrote about the history of MGM.

And that is why he has no traffic and no respect. His bias bleeds deeply into his "journalist" perspective, thus drowning it. I think that the guy Darrin Thomas is different Darrin than the one that co-owns Gateworld. He is Darren Summer.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If the app gets enough play (that number to be determined ) then maybe it will get a web-series, then we'll see:rolleyes:

Is TMGM at GATEWORLD? This type of presumptuous speculating and "snake oil barking" is exactly his type of schtick.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If the app gets enough play (that number to be determined ) then maybe it will get a web-series, then we'll see:rolleyes:

Is TMGM at GATEWORLD? This type of presumptuous speculating and "snake oil barking" is exactly his type of schtick.

Only in the odd old front page comment, he never went into the forums, with that name at least.