Margin Call - I can't believe I liked this film

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, it was made in 2011 and I only saw it a couple of days ago. And I fully expected to hate it as some type of propaganda. Instead I am forced to admit it is a pretty good film.

Margin Call is set in the opening of the 2008 stock market crash and financial crisis. The whole film follows one securities trading firm and its actions and events over 24 hours (some people said the firm in the film is modeled on Lehman Brothers but the events make it clear the firm modeled on is Goldman Sachs).

The film is pretty fast paced and largely stays out of the personal lives of its characters. It is a series of unwinding events that start with Zachary Quinto's character (a Risk Management analyst) working late and discovering that the basic risk formula that their firm and others had been basing the entire trade of Mortgage Based Securities on is incorrect, and that these asset based securities are actually worth FAR less than anyone realizes. And it unfolds from there.

Kevin Spacey does a good turn as the head of trading and (unlike most of his roles) is actually somewhat sympathetic here as he had warned others in the firm for weeks that something was off. Simon Baker is good as a sleazy exec as is Jeremy Irons as the CEO. You see Quinto's work go up the ladder, verified, executive all night meetings and then the very next day the actions taken by the firm in order to survive. The actions were not illegal but to put it lightly were unethical (they are illegal now). And these actions also cement that the firm being depicted is a fictionalized Goldman Sachs.

The pacing is excellent and it maintains tension well. And no bad performances - I even liked Demi Moore in this and usually she leaves me cold. And to my amazement it did not preach about anything. It had a sort of Jack Webb "just the facts" vibe to it.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it was made in 2011 and I only saw it a couple of days ago. And I fully expected to hate it as some type of propaganda. Instead I am forced to admit it is a pretty good film.

Margin Call is set in the opening of the 2008 stock market crash and financial crisis. The whole film follows one securities trading firm and its actions and events over 24 hours (some people said the firm in the film is modeled on Lehman Brothers but the events make it clear the firm modeled on is Goldman Sachs).

The film is pretty fast paced and largely stays out of the personal lives of its characters. It is a series of unwinding events that start with Zachary Quinto's character (a Risk Management analyst) working late and discovering that the basic risk formula that their firm and others had been basing the entire trade of Mortgage Based Securities on is incorrect, and that these asset based securities are actually worth FAR less than anyone realizes. And it unfolds from there.

Kevin Spacey does a good turn as the head of trading and (unlike most of his roles) is actually somewhat sympathetic here as he had warned others in the firm for weeks that something was off. Simon Baker is good as a sleazy exec as is Jeremy Irons as the CEO. You see Quinto's work go up the ladder, verified, executive all night meetings and then the very next day the actions taken by the firm in order to survive. The actions were not illegal but to put it lightly were unethical (they are illegal now). And these actions also cement that the firm being depicted is a fictionalized Goldman Sachs.

The pacing is excellent and it maintains tension well. And no bad performances - I even liked Demi Moore in this and usually she leaves me cold. And to my amazement it did not preach about anything. It had a sort of Jack Webb "just the facts" vibe to it.
Sounds interesting! Where did you watch it (which service)?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I found it on my Xfinity On Demand. But I am sure Amazon and Hulu et al have it too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only streaming service I am paying for is Amazon, and that is indirect because I use Prime for shipping. I have not even considered trying any of the other new ones like Disney+ or Paramount+ or HBO Max. It sounds very interesting though! I will look for it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It looks like it is on Dailymotion?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes but I assumed you wanted free.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes but I assumed you wanted free.
Nah, I don't automatically go to the high seas for everything. :) These days, I am not even interested in watching stuff at all, free or not. :crying-028:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh okay. Well if you decide to watch it please give your impressions.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes I am necroing this. Just wanted to elaborate a little on the formula everyone was using (or misusing as it turned out):

Black Scholes is a mathematical model for predicting probable prices of types of securities over periods of time in the future. So far so good. The problem is the model has an issue with volatility - instability in either prices or values of securities. Within a narrow band it handles these properly - outside it the formula yields values either radically too low (if the actual volatility is up) or too high (if the actual volatility is down).

What happened leading up to 2008 was institution's like Goldman's Sachs, Lehman Brothers and others were trading securities consisting of bundles of mortgages and valuing them based on the model. And they were using a stock trading device known as Leveraging (buying securities using borrowed funds with the bought securities as security) so they were buying securities that had more value (from the formula) than their companies had.

What happened (and what the real life analyst that Zachary Quito's character represents discovers) is that real life volatility from mortgage defaults was giving those mortgage securities a much lower real life value than the formula indicated. And because these securities were bought with borrowed money once the problem with valuation became public knowledge the loans would be called in and companies would go bankrupt (like Lehman Brothers).

I know this is an oversimplification but it provides general context.

Last edited: