Magic and Mayhem. Play direct IP games! I would love to play this with somebody here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, this is an old game, but it is very VERY entertaining and fun. It allows you to be one of four types of beings, and there are magic items and powerups (potions, food, etc) which you can collect. This is a fun fun game! If you are in the US or the UK, you can download a demo of the game here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/11437/10000/fileinfo/Duel:-The-Mage-Wars-Demo

Here is a video of the game itself, with the sounds and gameplay. Its such an easy game to play and SO MUCH FUN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrdP2dFADNk&feature=related

I had gotten such a great amount of entertainment from this game, despite it's rather basic graphics (relatively speaking). Its the gameplay and the element of hunting down your opponents and fighting with magic that appeals to me. Here are a few screenshots:

47570_full.jpg

47571_full.jpg

arcanes8.jpg

arcanes9.jpg

The great thing about this game (the FULL game) is that the multiplayer can be played via TCP/IP which means that anyone can host a game and then give the IP to your player so they can connect via their game and suddenly you are both hunting each other in the Celtic forest and picking up magic items etc. FUN!

Go to that place with those guys who wear eye patches and drink rum a lot. This place:

tpblogo_sm_ny.gif

And put in the search Magic & Mayhem (make CERTAIN you use the & and not the word 'and'). There is only one result. Get it using Vuze or uTorrent, then you need a virtual DVD/CD which is free. I use MagicDisc which is free and spyware free and can be downloaded here: http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm After installing, you can mount the image that you get from our skull and crossbones dudes. Then, you can install the game. Once installed, all you have to do to play it is to mount your image (the downloaded file) on MagicDisc virtual DVD/CD and your computer treats it as though it were an actual disc.

:)

S

Stonelesscutter

Some features in this game remind me of Populous the Beginning. I wish they would make a sequal to that sometime. (I know it wouldn't technically be a sequal but more like Populous 4)
I don't know this game though. I'm not so sure it's my kind of thing. Lately I've been all up in Civilization IV when I had some time to kill. Don't know how that online play is setup though.
Regarding the disc images, I can also recommend Daemon Tools Lite as a possible alternative to Magicdisc. It's easy, it works well and most importantly it's completely free.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some features in this game remind me of Populous the Beginning. I wish they would make a sequal to that sometime. (I know it wouldn't technically be a sequal but more like Populous 4)
I don't know this game though. I'm not so sure it's my kind of thing. Lately I've been all up in Civilization IV when I had some time to kill. Don't know how that online play is setup though.
Regarding the disc images, I can also recommend Daemon Tools Lite as a possible alternative to Magicdisc. It's easy, it works well and most importantly it's completely free.

I have both. MagicDisc is also free, and I love the quick right click menu for mounting. :) Either will work. The file at PB is an .nrg file and it will mount. As far as games being able to play over the internet, there are two types:

1) Direct TCP-IP/IPX play where the game server is part of the game. Examples of them would be Starcraft I (not II), Quake II, AoE, Command and Conquer older versions

2) Server play. This is the newer, messed up type that forces the game to go to a game server and then makes the connection to your opponent. This setup allows the game providers to charge you for that connection. Most all the new games are like this now, so I dont buy them anymore. :)

Magic and Mayhem allows for TCP-IP play.