LOL JJ Abrams

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
They don't need star ships at all at all at all ... Friggin so stupid that writing was . No wonder the other shows are failing too ,,,
;)

They don't need star ships at all at all at all ... Friggin so stupid that writing was . No wonder the other shows are failing too ,,,
;)

It blows my mind that they completely destroyed the premise of Star Trek without even realizing it. The whole point of the original premise is that they use warp-driven space ships to make treks throughout the stars. But the Trans-warp beaming tech introduced in nuTrek makes travel by space ship a moot point. How the writers of nuTrek (Abrams, Orci) didn't see the glaring flaw in this gimmick is beyond me.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It blows my mind that they completely destroyed the premise of Star Trek without even realizing it. The whole point of the original premise is that they use warp-driven space ships to make treks throughout the stars. But the Trans-warp beaming tech introduced in nuTrek makes travel by space ship a moot point. How the writers of nuTrek (Abrams, Orci) didn't see the glaring flaw in this gimmick is beyond me.

The answer to that is that it was beyond their abilities as writers. JJ Abrams is NOT an intellectual. He has the sensibilities of a middle aged child whose creative joys are along the lines of Transformers, 1990s video games, comic books and playing battle with dinosaur toys and action figures in a fort made of sheets in his basement bedroom. It was beyond his ability to create philosophical storylines, so he just destroyed Vulcan to avoid ever having to do any of that. I would bet a paycheck that the man HATES the game of chess (and perhaps does not know how to play). I bet none of any books he owns (if any) are classic works of literature.

Last edited:
The answer to that is that it was beyond their abilities as writers. JJ Abrams is NOT an intellectual. He has the sensibilities of a middle aged child whose creative joys are along the lines of Transformers, 1990s video games, comic books and playing battle with dinosaur toys and action figures in a fort made of sheets in his basement bedroom. It was beyond his ability to create philosophical storylines, so he just destroyed Vulcan to avoid ever having to do any of that. I would bet a paycheck that the man HATES the game of chess (and perhaps does not know how to play). I bet none of any books he owns (if any) are classic works of literature.

Exactly, he didn't want to have to research Vulcan culture and mythos so by destroying it he doesn't have to now. All he has to do is toss a few worn out Vulcan memes into the script and he's done. (He's even admitted that he didn't care for Trek when he was younger and didn't really watch it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly, he didn't want to have to research Vulcan culture and mythos so by destroying it he doesn't have to now. All he has to do is toss a few worn out Vulcan memes into the script and he's done. (He's even admitted that he didn't care for Trek when he was younger and didn't really watch it.)

Yep, because it was over his head. :)

JarJarAbrams.png

Yep, because it was over his head. :)

View attachment 34781

abrams.gif

Translation: "I don't understand Star Trek but more importantly I don't care to understand it which is why I'm using it as window dressing for the real movie I want to make. Ya know, the way a child uses the outlines in a coloring book to draw pictures he then claims are original works of art."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not just ST fan projects being shutdown ,,,SW also wth !

Only after severely declining profits (and interest) in these corporate cash cows happens will Disney and CBS realize (like the smaller studios discovered), that the FANS make or break a franchise. Indeed, fans are the reason something becomes a "franchise" in the first place. That means at least 2 or 3 years of releases and productions which come in at far below expectations. Star Trek is already feeling it hard. Star Wars is next.

Last edited:
Only after severely declining profits (and interest) in these corporate cash cows happens will Disney and CBS realize (like the smaller studios discovered), that the FANS make or break a franchise. Indeed, fans are the reason something becomes a "franchise" in the first place. That means at least 2 or 3 years of releases and productions which come in at far below expectations. Star Trek is already feeling it hard. Star Wars is next.

Exactly this. Numbers never lie. Without a doubt the Disney accounting department is looking at this situation with a cold, hard eye. Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar investment so of course they ran the numbers a million times before committing to the purchase of the franchise. And without a doubt they expected a bigger return on investment based upon past ticket sales, toys, etc.

So eventually the financial chickens will come home to roost. Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of the folks in the front office will continue to pretend that everything is fine in order to keep the stock price up but that will eventually come to an end. Their goal is no doubt to make quiet changes so as not to rock the boat. Why else would they have extended Kennedy's contract? She certainly doesn't deserve it based upon her performance. It was done simply to continue the charade that everything is fine and there's no need to panic. In truth Kennedy will spend the next 3 years twiddling her thumbs for the most part as SW productions have been scaled back for now. I suspect she will "leave to pursue other interests" somewhere in this timeframe and Disney will slide someone else into her position. They probably have it all planned out at this point.

At any rate, I'll be surprised if there aren't major SW changes happening at Disney in the next couple years. There's no way Iger and the other higher ups can ignore the fact that SW hasn't brought in the expected revenue the accounting department told them was possible to earn from the franchise. They're currently peddling the lie that they've earned back the $4 billion they paid for the franchise, but that's highly unlikely. I mean, if they made back the money in such a timely fashion (2012) why would they be cutting production on the movies they were planning to release? That makes no sense. Especially since the goal of any investment isn't simply to earn back the purchase price but to profit by a retail average of 100%. So why hit the brakes when now is precisely the time you want to start bringing in a profit, free and clear. Again, it makes no financial sense, and as Judge Judy says, if something doesn't make sense it's not true. ;)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly this. Numbers never lie. Without a doubt the Disney accounting department is looking at this situation with a cold, hard eye. Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar investment so of course they ran the numbers a million times before committing to the purchase of the franchise. And without a doubt they expected a bigger return on investment based upon past ticket sales, toys, etc.

Don't forget the two Star Wars: Galaxy's End theme areas in both Anaheim and Orlando (yes, there are two). Each park costs more than 1 BILLION each to build, and millions per year to man and maintain. And there is yet more invested in the merchandise they have planned there:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/15970164/star-wars-land-pictures-video

There is a LOT of stuff riding on the success of Star Wars.

So eventually the financial chickens will come home to roost. Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of the folks in the front office will continue to pretend that everything is fine in order to keep the stock price up but that will eventually come to an end. Their goal is no doubt to make quiet changes so as not to rock the boat. Why else would they have extended Kennedy's contract? She certainly doesn't deserve it based upon her performance. It was done simply to continue the charade that everything is fine and there's no need to panic. In truth Kennedy will spend the next 3 years twiddling her thumbs for the most part as SW productions have been scaled back for now. I suspect she will "leave to pursue other interests" somewhere in this timeframe and Disney will slide someone else into her position. They probably have it all planned out at this point.

I say let them play their inner political games, and forget that there is a whole fanbase and millions of casual viewers who don't care about any of that and just want to see a movie worthy of being called a blockbuster. Deadpool 2 outperformed Solo: A Star Wars Story. Perhaps Disney could consider re-theming their expansion into Asgard or Wakanda? :) Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson have destroyed Star Wars in such a way that you cannot really just patch it up. Yeah, they could have Luke back as a NuForce ghost (you know, no more glowing halo around him like we saw him fighting Kylo Ren as though he were real). They might twist Force canon to make it so he can come back to life. But the damage is already done. Leia is gone for good (R.I.P. Carrie Fisher). Han is just gone too. I am just not into any of the new characters, including Rey and Finn.

At any rate, I'll be surprised if there aren't major SW changes happening at Disney in the next couple years. There's no way Iger and the other higher ups can ignore the fact that SW hasn't brought in the expected revenue the accounting department told them was possible to earn from the franchise. They're currently peddling the lie that they've earned back the $4 billion they paid for the franchise, but that's highly unlikely. I mean, if they made back the money in such a timely fashion (2012) why would they be cutting production on the movies they were planning to release? That makes no sense. Especially since the goal of any investment isn't simply to earn back the purchase price but to profit by a retail average of 100%. So why hit the brakes when now is precisely the time you want to start bringing in a profit free and clear. Again, it makes no financial sense, and as Judge Judy says, if something doesn't make sense it's not true. ;)

Yep! In the long run, I think the damage to this IP and it's projected value will be the biggest mistake Disney has made in a very long time.

Don't forget the two Star Wars: Galaxy's End theme areas in both Anaheim and Orlando (yes, there are two). Each park costs more than 1 BILLION each to build, and millions per year to man and maintain. And there is yet more invested in the merchandise they have planned there:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/15970164/star-wars-land-pictures-video

There is a LOT of stuff riding on the success of Star Wars.

I say let them play their inner political games, and forget that there is a whole fanbase and millions of casual viewers who don't care about any of that and just want to see a movie worthy of being called a blockbuster. Deadpool 2 outperformed Solo: A Star Wars Story. Perhaps Disney could consider re-theming their expansion into Asgard or Wakanda? :) Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson have destroyed Star Wars in such a way that you cannot really just patch it up. Yeah, they could have Luke back as a NuForce ghost (you know, no more glowing halo around him like we saw him fighting Kylo Ren as though he were real). They might twist Force canon to make it so he can come back to life. But the damage is already done. Leia is gone for good (R.I.P. Carrie Fisher). Han is just gone too. I am just not into any of the new characters, including Rey and Finn.

Yep! In the long run, I think the damage to this IP and it's projected value will be the biggest mistake Disney has made in a very long time.

Other than the snarky humor, Deadpool is a perfect example of what Star Wars should have been; a simple "good vs. bad" story that's incredibly easy to understand with clearly defined characters you can root for or boo against. Why is it so damn hard for Disney to grasp this point? You'd think that for $4 billion dollars someone would have clued them in to the obvious.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The fact that they were forcing the fact that the force is female and then force it down fans throats really forces the issue as to what the hell were they thinking that they were making the force have a gender >? Not one fan thought for a millisecond the force had a gender ffs ! why would it have a gender ?! And that is the main reason all this has failed . Even if the story had been good , it was tarnished right off the bat by them pushing that agenda period ... Great job Disney .
You can take your micky mouse and shove it up your arse !!! Your fan base will speak there minds next movie and it will burn in flames in Yoda's fire pit ,,,
SW is dead dead dead ,,,

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
The fact that they were forcing the fact that the force is female and then force it down fans throats really forces the issue as to what the hell were they thinking that they were making the force have a gender >?

Good God I know some of my posts are real disasters but this one is a total tsunami! It's not even a word salad it's a word stew! :D

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
View attachment 34782

Translation: "I don't understand Star Trek but more importantly I don't care to understand it which is why I'm using it as window dressing for the real movie I want to make. Ya know, the way a child uses the outlines in a coloring book to draw pictures he then claims are original works of art."

That is such a great way of putting it! I still for the life of me can't understand why anyone would think of hailing this guy as being "the new Stephen Spielberg". He isn't even close. Spielberg had many original ideas. Abrams has none, from what I can see. He takes that coloring book and opens to the page with the horse on it, begins to outline it and color it then adds a horn, high heeled hooves, wings and red eyes. Then, he cuts the page out of the book and denies it ever belonged to the book in the first place.