ISP questions.. why can they never seem to tell me where I am?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, using the "IP" button att he bottom of my post here, i saw my IP address given.

When I clicked on it, it tells me i am using windstream ISP and tha i am in ohio-about 3hrs away from me

wrong and wrong
why is this?

upload_2020-6-19_2-13-26.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, using the "IP" button att he bottom of my post here, i saw my IP address given.

When I clicked on it, it tells me i am using windstream ISP and tha i am in ohio-about 3hrs away from me

wrong and wrong
why is this?

View attachment 35545

Because the routers cannot localize you to a specific street address. If you are in a rural area, the routers serving you may serve several adjacent counties. The only way to narrow down to a specific address is using cellular services. I have to ask, why would you be asking your ISP where you are, and why would you want the ISP to be able to pinpoint you to your home address?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Because the routers cannot localize you to a specific street address. If you are in a rural area, the routers serving you may serve several adjacent counties. The only way to narrow down to a specific address is using cellular services. I have to ask, why would you be asking your ISP where you are, and why would you want the ISP to be able to pinpoint you to your home address?
the page i posted in is not just wrong about my street address!!! its giving me a location about 400 miles away from where i actually am!!

like i am using a vpn but not.

now many times it does get it right, i can tell when i get pop up ads based on my isp for places in Dubois PA or another town that is within 20 miles of me

i have never seen any ISP give me a location even inside my actual county

when i click on yours, it gives me Long BEACH.. is that at least in the same county you actually live in?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
see, today it is correct..still a county off, but what normally shows.along with my actual isp company of comcast. when i did the OP it gave me Ohio and windstream as the ISP

upload_2020-6-22_13-51-5.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
see, today it is correct..still a county off, but what normally shows.along with my actual isp company of comcast. when i did the OP it gave me Ohio and windstream as the ISP

View attachment 35547
Oh, I see now what you are saying. It means that for some reason, your internet was routed through another set of routers belonging to Windstream. Are these to ISPs part of the same company?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh, I see now what you are saying. It means that for some reason, your internet was routed through another set of routers belonging to Windstream. Are these to ISPs part of the same company?
no windstream is sep from comcast. i have comcast

when the ISP shows as comcast, it is actually close to me.. the windstream one is like 300 miles away