Interview with Brent Spiner...Brent Spiner could land a possible role in Star Trek sequel

heisenberg

Earl Grey
A question came in asking Spiner what actor he thought might be a good choice if they ever rebooted Star Trek: The Next Generation (ala Star Trek 2009). Spiner noted that some have pointed out how Tom Hiddleston (Loki in Thor) looks a bit like him. He also joked about Justin Beiber and the late Charles Nelson Reilly. But then Spiner offered this bit of lobbying about the next Star Trek:
Response?

I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong.​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Hmmm...could be interesting, but why? I know there are people who follow specific ACTORS into shows, but in Trek, the character is more important than the actor IMO. Tim Russ was a Starfleet tactical lieutenent in ST: Generations (not as Tuvok) before he was a Vulcan in Voyager. Jeffrey Combs has been Shran the Andorian, Weyoun the Vorta, and Brunt the Ferengi Liquidator in Trek. Having said that, unless Spiner is playing Data in the movie, Im not really that excited about it. The actors playing the characters dont really matter as much to me as the character himself.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well I'm not surprised that Spiner needs a job! :P

S

Stonelesscutter

I'd like to see Spiner as Data again too.
But somehow I think he might be sick of that role.
Wasn't there an episode in Friends where he did a little cameo stating something like that? Or was that Joey's own series?

G

Graybrew1

I loved Data. I think they should let him go with respect. Spiner is too old to play a robot. I did not care for his Soong character, he was somewhat annoying to me like Lore was. I liked Spiner's role in Independence Day. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I loved Data. I think they should let him go with respect. Spiner is too old to play a robot. I did not care for his Soong character, he was somewhat annoying to me like Lore was. I liked Spiner's role in Independence Day. :D

I only like him as Data (a la TNG). He was definitely annoying as Lore, annoying as Soong, but somewhat acceptable...IN THE CONTEXT OF DEFINING DATA. I did not like the addition of the "emotion chip" or the creation of B4 in the Nemesis movie. But I did like his snarky interactions with the Borg Queen. :) If he isnt going to be Data before he was disassembled, then who cares? Meh.

I agree about Independence Day. He was great! I think he would be a natural for the Professor in a Back To The Future remake. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

What did he do in ID4 again?

G

Graybrew1

I only like him as Data (a la TNG). He was definitely annoying as Lore, annoying as Soong, but somewhat acceptable...IN THE CONTEXT OF DEFINING DATA. I did not like the addition of the "emotion chip" or the creation of B4 in the Nemesis movie. But I did like his snarky interactions with the Borg Queen. :) If he isnt going to be Data before he was disassembled, then who cares? Meh.

I agree about Independence Day. He was great! I think he would be a natural for the Professor in a Back To The Future remake. :)

That I could see. He would probably be good in that role. As long as he did not do it too "over the top".