IGN Exclusive(?) review of Star Trek: TNG Season 1 Blu-ray

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DS9 had entire seasons that did nothing to advance the story, spent whole episodes in soap and could have been completely deleted.

Really dude? True soap like what was going on in SGU and BSG? Not really...cmon. There was the shipping between Worf and Dax, and between Kira and Odo, but it was more drama than soap to me. Even if it was, I could watch it. The space battles they had in DS9 were more exciting than any I saw in Voyager or TNG. I liked the whole Dominion War and LOVED Gul Dukat. Hated the Kai Wynn thing and never accepted the prophets. I got sick of Jake after he got older. And Nog was weak when he became Starfleet. Still, it is not unwatchable like TNG season 1. In my opinion, that is!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Really dude? True soap like what was going on in SGU and BSG? Not really...cmon. There was the shipping between Worf and Dax, and between Kira and Odo, but it was more drama than soap to me. Even if it was, I could watch it. The space battles they had in DS9 were more exciting than any I saw in Voyager or TNG. I liked the whole Dominion War and LOVED Gul Dukat. Hated the Kai Wynn thing and never accepted the prophets. I got sick of Jake after he got older. And Nog was weak when he became Starfleet. Still, it is not unwatchable like TNG season 1. In my opinion, that is!

Do you recall the first few seasons of DS9? It was right up there with BSG and SGU. We spent entire episodes on O'Brien's baby, on "family moments" like Sisko and his son "sailing" an old Cardassian solar wind ship, on Kira and her love affairs with former terrorists, on Quark's son's struggle to get through Starfleet, etc. It had its moments, but, that's all they really were, moments, except the Jem Hadar wars, which stretched out way too long and just numbed the mind.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
DS9 had entire seasons that did nothing to advance the story, spent whole episodes in soap and could have been completely deleted.
--- merged: Nov 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM ---

:icon_rotflmao::laughing::smiley-laughing024:

I stopped watching after the first season. I'd pop in every now and then and was able to figure out what was going on but over all the show was just a clunker for me. The Bajoran (I don't care how you spell it because it sucked anyway) story line was just stupid. I don't need or want all that religious crap in my scifi viewing. The fact that they made it central to the story was a deal breaker in terms of viewing for me. Plus I didn't care to waste my time watching Louise Fletcher over-act. Yawn.

I did like Quark and was a bit intrigued by that exiled Cardassian guy who walked the edge of morality. Was he good? Was he bad? Still, it wasn't enough for me to stick around.

Bluce Ree

I stopped watching after the first season. I'd pop in every now and then and was able to figure out what was going on but over all the show was just a clunker for me. The Bajoran (I don't care how you spell it because it sucked anyway) story line was just stupid. I don't need or want all that religious crap in my scifi viewing. The fact that they made it central to the story was a deal breaker in terms of viewing for me. Plus I didn't care to waste my time watching Louise Fletcher over-act. Yawn.

I did like Quark and was a bit intrigued by that exiled Cardassian guy who walked the edge of morality. Was he good? Was he bad? Still, it wasn't enough for me to stick around.

I liked episodes that involved him. He always came off as the ex-intelligence guy with a sordid past who left the business for the quiet life but still gets his hands dirty when necessary.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You mean Garak. I liked him too. Loved the dynamic between him and Odo. Hated all the religious shit with the Bajorans, but at least they did not thinly veil Christianity and call it Bajoran. It was religion but definitely not earth-like and not resembling any religion on earth. Their entire society was a theocracy and with that it was ripe for destruction. Sisko as "emmisary" was just stupid. But still the show is watchable. I still enjoy rewatches of it.

I liked episodes that involved him. He always came off as the ex-intelligence guy with a sordid past who left the business for the quiet life but still gets his hands dirty when necessary.

Garak was cool. I also liked it when Quark showed his soft side.

Bluce Ree

You mean Garak. I liked him too. Loved the dynamic between him and Odo. Hated all the religious shit with the Bajorans, but at least they did not thinly veil Christianity and call it Bajoran. Itwas religion but definitely not earth-like and not resembling any religion on earth. Their entire society was a theocracy and with that it was ripe for destruction. Sisko as "emmisary" was just stupid. But still the show is watchable. I still enjoy rewatches of it.

Garak was cool. I also liked it when Quark showed his soft side.

They worshiped wormhole beings. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They worshiped wormhole beings. :(

True, but at least there really was a wormhole inhabited by real beings. :) All religions on earth are based in nothing but fables and nothing tangible or real.

Bluce Ree

True, but at least there really was a wormhole inhabited by real beings. :) All religions on earth are based in nothing but fables and nothing tangible or real.

How do YOU know? Maybe our religions were based on wormhole beings, too, but the wormhole closed and they left because they got fed up having to deal with our incessant whining.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How do YOU know? Maybe our religions were based on wormhole beings, too, but the wormhole closed and they left because they got fed up having to deal with our incessant whining.

What I meant was that in DS9, the wormhole as well as the beings within and the orbs were REAL things they could see and touch. That made it much different from any earth religions which are all based on fables and hearsay. I could deal with it easier. This is unlike the Klingon religion which believes in Stovokor and the spirit of Kay-liss.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What I meant was that in DS9, the wormhole as well as the beings within and the orbs were REAL things they could see and touch. That made it much different from any earth religions which are all based on fables and hearsay. I could deal with it easier. This is unlike the Klingon religion which believes in Stovokor and the spirit of Kay-liss.
The Klingons *did* have gods, but in true Klingon style, they rose up and killed them for being too "annoying" :lol:

Oh, and Kay'lehs is more like Ancestor worship rather than "god worship" :)

Bluce Ree

I got what you're saying. I was just pulling your leg. :icon_lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Star trek TNG in HD looks so much better than SD but they didn't really do much with the sounds. It still sounds low bit-rate.

Bluce Ree

Star trek TNG in HD looks so much better than SD but they didn't really do much with the sounds. It still sounds low bit-rate.

So much of ST was special effects. They could easily have remastered all the special effects with more modern techniques.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So much of ST was special effects. They could easily have remastered all the special effects with more modern techniques.

The special effects being done by Star Trek Continues are superior to the ones in the show! For their TOS episodes, they have to actually digitally "soil" the final product to make it more like the original. :) The prime Trek universe is still intact (as far as canon goes). I choose to see these new films as the dirt road one of the timelines took. :anim_59: