If only SGU had been on Fox or ABC . . .

trelaine

GateFans Noob
Firefly, which has been growing in popularity over time since it's cancellation had an average viewing audience of 4.2 million? Fox only aired 12 episodes.

I liked Defying Gravity - fine acting & intriguing stories-in-stories & it was just plain entertaining for me - only had 3.8 million viewers for the pilot so ABC canceled it after only 8 episodes.

And SGU premiered at 2.3 million??? Peaked at 2.4 million??? Bottomed out at 1.178 million viewers for "Incursion pt 1" and averaged at 1.717 million viewers for the season? So, Firefly and Defying Gravity had over TWICE the number of viewers as SGU but SGU gets to have a SECOND season?

http://blastr.com/2010/09/20-epic-sci-fi-tv-failure.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stargate_Universe_episodes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is interesting, I agree!

Firefly, which has been growing in popularity over time since it's cancellation had an average viewing audience of 4.2 million? Fox only aired 12 episodes.

I liked Defying Gravity - fine acting & intriguing stories-in-stories & it was just plain entertaining for me - only had 3.8 million viewers for the pilot so ABC canceled it after only 8 episodes.

And SGU premiered at 2.3 million??? Peaked at 2.4 million??? Bottomed out at 1.178 million viewers for "Incursion pt 1" and averaged at 1.717 million viewers for the season? So, Firefly and Defying Gravity had over TWICE the number of viewers as SGU but SGU gets to have a SECOND season?

http://blastr.com/2010/09/20-epic-sci-fi-tv-failure.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stargate_Universe_episodes

I often thought about that when I started paying attention to the ratings as posted here. Funny, before Stargate Universe, I never payed any attention to ratings for any of the shows I watched. Never had been to tvbythenumbers.com, never tried to predict the course of a show according to its ratings...until SGU. I really believe that if Stargate Universe had been aired when Syfy was still SciFi Channel, this show would have been canceled quickly. SG-1 and SGA both had season highs much higher than SGU. Both those shows did far better their premiere seasons than SGU.

But to be honest, I think the execs at ABC and Fox would have passed on this show before it ever aired. Anyone watching it for just a show (irregardless of the Stargate name) would find it empty, boring, tedious and not worth watching. It sucks all on its own no matter what they call it.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Wow, I hadn't realized that either! :eek:

Either OM is right and this aberration would never had made it on air, or it most likely would've been cancelled right after the pilot or Air III as the epic fail that it was.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Wow, I hadn't realized that either! :eek:

Either OM is right and this aberration would never had made it on air, or it most likely would've been cancelled right after the pilot or Air III as the epic fail that it was.

I don't think it would have made it to air.... they makes dozens of tv pilots each year that never see the light of day...sgpoo is lower quality than most so I think TPTB would have been laughed out of the studios. :P

tetrion

GateFans Noob
and for that very reason why it's on the Syphilis channel, heck to them it's Emmy quality in comparison to the other 3rd rate, f grade crap they produce (OctoShark, GodzillaWorm, Wrestling). Even the cast themselves are past their prime, washed out, forgotten supportive actors that no one cares about. At this point everyone are just treading water, and going through the motions, to see if it gets renewed for the third season. The problem is that crap shows that have jumped the shark continue to get renewed, just because there's a minuscule profit to be made... case in point Heroes, Simpsons, family guy etc...

SGU has never been worth watching

Sorry folks but lint is more interesting to watch than SGU. I think it just goes to show that people would watch anything out of boredom. (I know I get more done around the house when I leave SGU on in the background because no one including me will sit still for an entire episode.)

An announcement telling me (by Mazolli) that I will be bored with the new season just tells me that he believes I will tolerate anything with the Stargate stamp on it. Maybe that immense ego should be put in change of curing world hunger as it appears he believes he is omnipotent as to what we must watch and learn to love (is he actually Futurama's HypnoToad?).

I fell in love with SG1 around season 7 when I watched my first episode. I want that high level of action and special characters that are bigger than life, funny and always more capable than a normal person, that's how I am entertained.

SiFi channel has been headed downhill since SG1 ended I think. But what do I know? Maybe my IQ is too high (2 college degrees and only a 142) to appreciate a show (SGU) that would be more understandable for its wooden characters and lack of action on the Spanish channel as a soap opera...

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Sorry folks but lint is more interesting to watch than SGU. I think it just goes to show that people would watch anything out of boredom. (I know I get more done around the house when I leave SGU on in the background because no one including me will sit still for an entire episode.)

An announcement telling me (by Mazolli) that I will be bored with the new season just tells me that he believes I will tolerate anything with the Stargate stamp on it. Maybe that immense ego should be put in change of curing world hunger as it appears he believes he is omnipotent as to what we must watch and learn to love (is he actually Futurama's HypnoToad?).

I fell in love with SG1 around season 7 when I watched my first episode. I want that high level of action and special characters that are bigger than life, funny and always more capable than a normal person, that's how I am entertained.

SiFi channel has been headed downhill since SG1 ended I think. But what do I know? Maybe my IQ is too high (2 college degrees and only a 142) to appreciate a show (SGU) that would be more understandable for its wooden characters and lack of action on the Spanish channel as a soap opera...

Ah yes but it's a fallacy that the show is more intelligent than the 2 previous SG shows, this show kills brain cells so you need a low IQ to watch it................ perhaps TPTB tell people it's an intelligent show so that morons will feel better about themselves, maybe I've had them wrong all along, maybe they are actually really nice guys. :D