I think I'm losing my mind...I watched Elektra and LIKED it!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes that Elektra - the Jennifer Garner entry in the Marvel superhero movies and pseudo sequel to Daredevil. It's basically the story of how Elektra changed after dying in Daredevil and after the end of the movie being brought back to life by Terence Stamp.

So why did I like it?

Well, it wasn't the "fight choreography". Jennifer Garner is a decent actress but as a martial artist she was borderline laughable in this film.

It wasn't the plot per se, principally because they did not do a good job of explaining some things and others just made no sense. For example, after being raised Elektra was trained in an art called Kimagouri by Terence Stamp which gives its adepts a limited type of precognition. But it was so briefly mentioned it was easy to miss and if you missed it then the movie becomes incoherent.

I think it was Elektra herself. Garner actually played her well and despite the other issues the writers did have her character traverse a pretty well designed arc. She starts out as an assassin who is cold, compulsive and very closed off. As the movie progresses events start to pierce her closedness and by movies end she walks away from being an assassin and can actually relate to others.

Who knew?

Last edited: