Hulu Sucks(?)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So in my attempt to secure a media to re watch the sg shows, and a few others-like B5. I tried Hulu since its on my Roku.

Funny how Hulu makes you build an acct before they let you see the playlist of whats available

So I go to the Sci-Fi category. See SGA and some SG 1 documentaries. When you click on them they say it is no longer available for streaming (or anything with hulu-no discs)

Other sci-fi shows on their site are available, so why do they leave up the SG stuff in such big boxed letters? Just to lure ppl in, make them feel comfortable about their subscription?

I went back to the accts page and cancelled about 8 mins after I joined. They have nothing that I can't get on Netflix except SGA.

Amazon has it all, you can either pay 1.99 and episode-which I think is expensive, or become a "prime" member for $79 a year. But that doesn't even get you all the shows/movies on amazon. even with this membership fee many shows are still pay to play. No thanks.

Going to the "Bluce" solution is an option but I would much rather watch on my big screen then on my PC.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So in my attempt to secure a media to re watch the sg shows, and a few others-like B5. I tried Hulu since its on my Roku.

Funny how Hulu makes you build an acct before they let you see the playlist of whats available

So I go to the Sci-Fi category. See SGA and some SG 1 documentaries. When you click on them they say it is no longer available for streaming (or anything with hulu-no discs)

Other sci-fi shows on their site are available, so why do they leave up the SG stuff in such big boxed letters? Just to lure ppl in, make them feel comfortable about their subscription?

I went back to the accts page and cancelled about 8 mins after I joined. They have nothing that I can't get on Netflix except SGA.

Amazon has it all, you can either pay 1.99 and episode-which I think is expensive, or become a "prime" member for $79 a year. But that doesn't even get you all the shows/movies on amazon. even with this membership fee many shows are still pay to play. No thanks.

Going to the "Bluce" solution is an option but I would much rather watch on my big screen then on my PC.

My solution works for streaming to your TV if you get a VPN-capable router. By putting the VPN on your router, all your network traffic going to the Internet from all your devices go over the VPN.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

For me, Hulu sucks because of commercials. They do not even offer a service without them like Netflix, no matter what you want to pay so I never joined. Hulu+ has commercials too.

Bluce Ree

For me, Hulu sucks because of commercials. They do not even offer a service without them like Netflix, no matter what you want to pay so I never joined. Hulu+ has commercials too.

Hulu+ has been getting worse with commercials, too. They used to have two 30-second breaks, then three and now five breaks of 120 seconds minimum. They are running as many commercials as regular Hulu and half the shows I like to watch aren't even available on Hulu+ due to licensing restrictions but are freely available on regular Hulu!

I hope someone challenges this contrivance of "devices" created by the entertainment industry. Technically speaking, a tablet and a smartphone are no different than a desktop or laptop computer. Smart TVs are another example of this abusive contrivance. The only technical difference between a smart TV and an all-in-screen PC (popularized by Apple) is the primary presentation of its application. Smart TVs are nothing more than computers running Linux. If they weren't in bed with the entertainment industry, a simple browser ID field change would allow your TV to watch regular Hulu.

This subject always pisses me off because it's so damned obvious. Maybe I'll look into hacking my TV to install a more streamlined version of Linux.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hulu+ has been getting worse with commercials, too. They used to have two 30-second breaks, then three and now five breaks of 120 seconds minimum. They are running as many commercials as regular Hulu and half the shows I like to watch aren't even available on Hulu+ due to licensing restrictions but are freely available on regular Hulu!

I hope someone challenges this contrivance of "devices" created by the entertainment industry. Technically speaking, a tablet and a smartphone are no different than a desktop or laptop computer. Smart TVs are another example of this abusive contrivance. The only technical difference between a smart TV and an all-in-screen PC (popularized by Apple) is the primary presentation of its application. Smart TVs are nothing more than computers running Linux. If they weren't in bed with the entertainment industry, a simple browser ID field change would allow your TV to watch regular Hulu.

This subject always pisses me off because it's so damned obvious. Maybe I'll look into hacking my TV to install a more streamlined version of Linux.

This is why I have always tried to attach a full computer to my TV. With it, you can run all of the online media, you can fit it with a graphics card which has a remote (and the functions map to many universal remotes), PLUS with Thrustmaster wireless game controllers, you can play PC games and forget having to buy an Xbox or PS3. Being able to fully surf the internet is an added plus. :)

I was not impressed with the Roku and gave mine to a friend. AppleTV is even worse.

Bluce Ree

This is why I have always tried to attach a full computer to my TV. With it, you can run all of the online media, you can fit it with a graphics card which has a remote (and the functions map to many universal remotes), PLUS with Thrustmaster wireless game controllers, you can play PC games and forget having to buy an Xbox or PS3. Being able to fully surf the internet is an added plus. :)

I was not impressed with the Roku and gave mine to a friend. AppleTV is even worse.

What I did is get an Allshare Cast wireless hub from Samsung, which connects your Android phone to your TV's HDMI wirelessly:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EAD-T10JDEGSTA

EAD-T10JDEGSTA_1_400.jpg

Then, I downloaded a Flash hack that masks the ID and bypasses all Hulu's (and similar websites') checks.

Presto! Wireless Smart TV from my Galaxy S3 that also stream content from "restricted media" websites. :icon10:

--- merged: Dec 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM ---

With today's tech, what's the point of an Apple TV or Roku or similar devices when you can get a full PC in a mini form factor and control it remotely with your smartphone, the most advanced remote control device available?

http://www.techpowerup.com/175776/ASUS-Preps-Two-Windows-8-Running-EeeBox-Mini-PCs.html

asus_eeebox_eb1505_01.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I did is get an Allshare Cast wireless hub from Samsung, which connects your Android phone to your TV's HDMI wirelessly:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EAD-T10JDEGSTA

EAD-T10JDEGSTA_1_400.jpg

Then, I downloaded a Flash hack that masks the ID and bypasses all Hulu's (and similar websites') checks.

Presto! Wireless Smart TV from my Galaxy S3 that also stream content from "restricted media" websites. :icon10:

--- merged: Dec 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM ---

With today's tech, what's the point of an Apple TV or Roku or similar devices when you can get a full PC in a mini form factor and control it remotely with your smartphone, the most advanced remote control device available?

http://www.techpowerup.com/175776/ASUS-Preps-Two-Windows-8-Running-EeeBox-Mini-PCs.html

asus_eeebox_eb1505_01.jpg

Those stupid "TV devices" like Roku and the newer Android boxes like the Zotac all suck compared to what you got and to a computer attached to the TV/ Many of the micro-factor computers even have screw holes which use the mount point on the back of the TV. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, call me a caveman, but I like my Roku :rolleyes: I think as long as your don't have high expectations it is just spiffy!

I do wish they would add YouTube to it, this way I could watch videos (music and the 'bootlegged' movies mostly)

Have YT on one tv-the one with our son's XBOX- But that is downstairs

Bluce, if I cant get something simpler and off the shelf, then I will engage your "nuclear option" :icon_e_surprised: withHMyAss
and the router
For now, I am going to give Amazon prime a try-at least until I watch all of sg1 and sga once again. Sucks B5 is still something you have to pay for (J Michael Strac is a cash hound :moody:)

Your other option above; do you have that out of necessity due to where you live and services being unavailable (not sure where you live but I am guessing it is not the US and no longer Canada, Hispaniola maybe?)

It does look quite the "super spy, high tech-ish, nerd festive (i say that with luv) wizz bang wonderfullness" :anim_59:

a guy like you with your background-I am sure it was a no brainer to set up. non "math" people like me-not so much.

again, call me Fred Flintstone

Yabba, Dabba doo!

(i want a fred flintstone smiley-can we make that happen?)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
flint2.jpg

fredflinstone.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so how do i get this into the smiley "family"?

Ill put Fred in there for you. Im gonna make him a little smaller. :) I want to see if I can find a Wilma too.