Home Wreckers

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This will be tied-up in the courts for a few years I would suspect. I wonder what Google will do. They will probably avoid having to settle as that would open them up for more litigation in the future.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:anim_39::anim_39::anim_39: and people wonder why i don't trust self-driving cars! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This will be tied-up in the courts for a few years I would suspect. I wonder what Google will do. They will probably avoid having to settle as that would open them up for more litigation in the future.

I think the demolition company is at fault, not Google. If I drove my car off a cliff because Google Maps said there should be a bridge there, isn't that my fault for using Google? This demolition company could have verified the address using another means GPS is not property of Google. There are other methods.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think the demolition company is at fault, not Google. If I drove my car off a cliff because Google Maps said there should be a bridge there, isn't that my fault for using Google? This demolition company could have verified the address using another means GPS is not property of Google. There are other methods.

You're correct, but from what I understand in lawsuits like this everyone gets named in the initial phase. And then the list gets whittled down during the discovery phase of the suit. Google would probably get dropped. But there's nothing to stop some shyster lawyer from going after them because he believes they have deep pockets.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're correct, but from what I understand in lawsuits like this everyone gets named in the initial phase. And then the list gets whittled down during the discovery phase of the suit. Google would probably get dropped. But there's nothing to stop some shyster lawyer from going after them because he believes they have deep pockets.

One way or another, this Diaz woman is going to get a new house. :) I think that Google will be protected from liability like anyone using a product. But in this case, the product is free and there is no basis for a claim from Google...is there? The demolition company is trying to throw Google under the bus, but they are the ones going under. :cool:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
One way or another, this Diaz woman is going to get a new house. :) I think that Google will be protected from liability like anyone using a product. But in this case, the product is free and there is no basis for a claim from Google...is there? The demolition company is trying to throw Google under the bus, but they are the ones going under. :cool:

Here's hoping their insurance premiums are paid up. :icon_lol:

Years ago a buddy of mine was the inspector on a waste water job (sewer pipe). One of the laborers busted the gas pipe to a house while digging a trench. Gas built up inside the house and the thing exploded. (No one was hurt.) The homeowner named everyone even remotely related to the construction work in their suit, but eventually everyone got dropped except for the contractor. And yes, they got a new house.