Ho hum...another soap-fi series I missed: Jericho

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yaaaawn. I found a series on Netflix (actually, it found me because Netflix suggested it based on what I have been watching). The premise was interesting, there is a nuclear attack on the US in Denver (which is destroyed by the bomb). The story is about the citizens of neighboring Jericho, who become a mini-nation of people cut off from civilization due to Denver being destroyed. In it, we see the usual:

• The Abercrombie boys and the impossibly hot blonde chick who wears perfect jeans and looks perfect all the time. Yep, have her running and falling in dirt and birds pooping in her hair, but she will be perfect in EVERY shot. Yaaaawn.
  • Appropriately "hip" music on the order of Firefly's background music.
  • Very artsy photography, but shallow story and characters.
I suppose this show was cancelled after 28 episodes, since that is how many are online. I am reminded of Falling Skies with this show, because its still the same formula. I think they even used the same kitten walking across the piano for the tinkling piano thing (yep, its in this show too). Is science fiction dead as we knew it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MapXib82Mtc

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I didn't mind Jericho, not brilliant and not a series I would pay to buy, but somewhat entertaining.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didn't mind Jericho, not brilliant and not a series I would pay to buy, but somewhat entertaining.

Yep, and it doesnt pretend to be science fiction, although the science in it is very accurate as are the measures the people are taking in the wake of the attack. But the show still focuses CLOSELY on the character interactions and at its core is a soap opera with some style. Even the music montages are there. :facepalm: I have only watched three episodes, I may make it to a fourth or fifth, but then Im most likely done after that. Surface, on the other hand, had me salivating for the next episode, as did Primeval. Sanctuary USED TO HAVE that effect, now I miss episodes and dont watch them until a week or two later. Sad.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep, and it doesnt pretend to be science fiction, although the science in it is very accurate as are the measures the people are taking in the wake of the attack. But the show still focuses CLOSELY on the character interactions and at its core is a soap opera with some style. Even the music montages are there. :facepalm: I have only watched three episodes, I may make it to a fourth or fifth, but then Im most likely done after that. Surface, on the other hand, had me salivating for the next episode, as did Primeval. Sanctuary USED TO HAVE that effect, now I miss episodes and dont watch them until a week or two later. Sad.

Yeah, see, thats what I liked, how they depicted HOW everything happened and how the townsfolk responded. there were no real quick fixes, people died from lack of supplies and such, gangs took over places and so on. There was alot of potential in the idea of a more serious post apocalyptic (man made for once). I do think it was worth watching, if only for the core story, but hey, if it's not worth it for you dude, why waste your time :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Personally I really enjoyed this show. The second season in particular (the short 8 episode or less one) is some brilliant television.

To be fair I wasn't even aware this was a science fiction show; it was a drama about how a town was cut off and reacted to the situation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats why Im not outright trashing it like Falling Skies.

Yeah, see, thats what I liked, how they depicted HOW everything happened and how the townsfolk responded. there were no real quick fixes, people died from lack of supplies and such, gangs took over places and so on. There was alot of potential in the idea of a more serious post apocalyptic (man made for once). I do think it was worth watching, if only for the core story, but hey, if it's not worth it for you dude, why waste your time :)

Im still sitting with arms folded, but the show could pick up a bit. Its saving grace is that it is NOT parading itself around as though it were science fiction, but it actually IS science fiction watered down with soap and drama, and calls itself a survival drama and not science fiction.

Personally I really enjoyed this show. The second season in particular (the short 8 episode or less one) is some brilliant television.

To be fair I wasn't even aware this was a science fiction show; it was a drama about how a town was cut off and reacted to the situation.

Thats why its on my radar. To a drama purist, this would be considered science fiction (which it is), but to the mainstream its just a drama about surviving an unexpected nuclear strike (but not a full exchange). This show doesnt just sit and have a scene or two about the effects of nuclear blasts and fallout, it actually integrates it into the show as a plot guideline. The second episode is a realistic countermeasure to hiding from approaching fallout. The science of the explosions and the (appropriate) lack of ability to contact major government entities to help them is very realistic, UNLIKE Falling Skies which wants us to believe that humans are allowed to form rebellions within line-of-sight of huge motherships capable of launching squadrons of fighters and deploying mechs.

Its science fiction and doesnt try to be. Its still a bit too heavy on the character interaction, but then again, the attack galvanized this group. How long will they remain isolated from the rest of America?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I watched a couple of episodes, then the mayor's son slept with some person not his wife and I kinda figured which direction they were heading with the show and lost interest. But for those that enjoyed it, some spark of hope:

http://screenrant.com/jericho-season-3-netflix

Maybe Netflix can pick up stargate, but I think they're trying to lean towards high-end HBO style shows, i.e. lots of tits and overkill on grounded drama.