Harold Ramis Dead, Age 69

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm one of the few that actually remembers Ramis from the original SCTV. He was a huge influence on countless comedians and writers/producers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jeri Ryan could get Helix a second season....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He was really a unique character actor and I think he never got the recognition he deserved. RIP Harold Ramis.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
His SCTV stuff wasn't slapstick or in your face type of "comedy", rather, his stuff was more cerebral. You had to pay attention and be willing to think instead of just sitting back and expecting the jokes to be spoon fed to you. That's what I really liked about him. After seeing comic minds like Ramis in action is it any wonder that I find hacks like Jack Black and Seth Rogen to be completely unfunny?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
His SCTV stuff wasn't slapstick or in your face type of "comedy", rather, his stuff was more cerebral. You had to pay attention and be willing to think instead of just sitting back and expecting the jokes to be spoon fed to you. That's what I really liked about him. After seeing comic minds like Ramis in action is it any wonder that I find hacks like Jack Black and Seth Rogen to be completely unfunny?

I can handle Jack Black sometimes but I am no fan of Seth Roten . Nothing he says makes me laugh . I only found him tolerable in 50/50 , which I enjoyed immensely even with him in it . How does he get work ? I,ll never know .

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can handle Jack Black sometimes but I am no fan of Seth Roten . Nothing he says makes me laugh . I only found him tolerable in 50/50 , which I enjoyed immensely even with him in it . How does he get work ? I,ll never know .

I'm stumped by the Seth Rogen thing myself. Case in point, a couple weeks ago a friend rented the Seth Rogen movie This Is the End because he heard that it was one of the top hits of 2013. A bunch of us got together to watch it and to a man we were shocked that it was called a comedy because none of us laughed even once. It was simply unfunny and quite tedious to sit through. It saddens me that young people today think crap like this is actually comedy. :moody:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/

MV5BMTQxODE3NjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkzNjc4OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

*Best line from the numerous negative imdb reviews:

"James Franco and Seth Rogen go together like sleeping pills and laxatives."

:shep_lol:

Last edited:
B

Backstep

I'm stumped by the Seth Rogen thing myself. Case in point, a couple weeks ago a friend rented the Seth Rogen movie This Is the End because he heard that it was one of the top hits of 2013. A bunch of us got together to watch it and to a man we were shocked that it was called a comedy because none of us laughed even once. It was simply unfunny and quite tedious to sit through. It saddens me that young people today think crap like this is actually comedy. :moody:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/

MV5BMTQxODE3NjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkzNjc4OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Are you saying you're not a hipster?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Very sad to hear of Ramis's passing. He was the laugh track of my young adult years. From animal house to stripes to Groundhog day always spot on and good for a laugh. Then there was Ghostbusters- not just funny but geeky funny! :D he will go down as one of the most under-rated writers/directors. RIP Egon -- you were one of us!