Happy National Peanut Butter Day!!!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It seems to have always been a part of my life. I have no clue when the first ambrosial taste awakened my palate, but it cannot be denied that I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER!!! MY favorite sandwich is the ubiquitous PB&J, I love peanut butter sweets...a delicous confection called Nutcracker Sweets (recently renamed by my husband as "death by Peanut butter") is my favorite holiday (and really ANY holiday!!!) treat. I adore peanut butter cups, Reese's Pieces are a little bit of heaven, and honestly nothing can substiute for peanut butter on a spoon. Imagine my joy when I discovered there is a day to honor this joyous confection...January 24th is National Peanut Butter Day! so go buy yourself some of this ambrosia and indulge (unless of course you are one of those ppor pitiful souls who are allergic! you have my deepest sympathy!:( )

Woo-Hoo! I know you've all been waiting for it anxiously and finally it's here! Today is National Peanut Butter Day! Maybe I'm being a bit too enthusiastic about the whole thing, but I mean come on, who doesn't love a little peanut butter every now and again? Did you know that peanut butter was originally created to perform the same function as toothpaste way back in 1880? Or that peanut butter and jelly was a result of World War II? Apparently soldiers were given peanut butter instead of meat due to enforced rationing. The soldiers added jelly to make it taste better and viola the all American sandwich was born. To celebrate National Peanut Butter Day, I've rounded up a bunch of fun facts about peanut butter so read more
  • Following the regulations stated by the U.S Food and Drug Administration, 2 rodent hairs are allowed in every 100 grams of peanut butter. (Ewww, isn't that gross?!)
  • In Holland peanut butter is called pindakass which translates to peanut cheese. The Dutch government protects the word butter so the peanut butter makers had to improvise and substitute cheese for butter.
    productImages_creamy.jpg
  • Apparently there is a sandwich called the fluffernutter (what a funny name! I should tell GiggleSugar, she would have a field day) that pairs peanut butter with marshmallow creme (if anyone has tried this please tell me about it below).
  • You probably already know this, but one of Elvis' favorite foods was a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (has anyone ever tried this?).
  • I would love to know the scientific explanation behind this one: creamy peanut butter can be used to remove gum from hair and clothing.
    dv1897032.jpg
  • Boscul Peanut Butter glasses - which were originally glass jars of peanut butter from the 50s - are a sought after collectors item.
  • Peanut butter has been banned in many schools all across America because of the severe allergic reaction that may occur to those who can not eat peanuts.
  • For peanut butter to be real it must consist of at least 90% peanuts.
  • While Americans prefer peanut butter, Europeans favor nutella.
Know a crazy fun fact about peanut butter that I failed to list here? Tell me about it por favor! I love busting out with these meaningless pieces of trivia at a dull dinner party.

S

Stonelesscutter

I like peanut butter. But only from one brand. Calvé!
Haven't eaten it for months though.

G

Graybrew1

I am afraid to even smell PB lest I gain weight from the how fattening it is. :rolleyes:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
it's high in protein!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I would never mix chicken or fish with jelly or marshmallow fluff...would you? I admit that peanut butter is my guilty pleasure! ;)

G

Graybrew1

I would never mix chicken or fish with jelly or marshmallow fluff...would you? I admit that peanut butter is my guilty pleasure! ;)
LOL. No. I would not eat them either.
To each his own, it is yummy.

S

Stonelesscutter

I generally don't mix peanut butter with anything, though I've heard of people putting sugar on it. I've tried that once. It's doable and I can see why people like it, yet I still prefer pure Calvé peanut butter.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I LOVE peanut butter. I eat it right from the jar with a spoon. :D

B

Backstep

I generally don't mix peanut butter with anything, though I've heard of people putting sugar on it. I've tried that once. It's doable and I can see why people like it, yet I still prefer pure Calvé peanut butter.

Peanut butter mixed with maple sirup makes a great spread for toast or bagel.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
And you realise you're putting your saliva in the peanut butter jar after each scoop right?

My gf and I already swap enough fluids throughout the day away from the peanut butter jar, so, she doesn't mind.