Fascinating new Tablet - the Surface

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit I find the Microsoft Surface tablet very interesting.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US

Initial reviews all seem to be really bullish on the physical quality of the unit. Also it has a full USB port and the Windows 8 OS is ideal in this form factor. It has full, real Office baked right in which means no additional software purchases needed to make it "work capable" and also handles things like printing with no need for special software (a key iPad issue).

Interestingly, it already appears to be sold out in some configurations after only a week on the market. Were I in the market for a tablet right now I would have to give this serious thought.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to admit I find the Microsoft Surface tablet very interesting.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US

Initial reviews all seem to be really bullish on the physical quality of the unit. Also it has a full USB port and the Windows 8 OS is ideal in this form factor. It has full, real Office baked right in which means no additional software purchases needed to make it "work capable" and also handles things like printing with no need for special software (a key iPad issue).

Interestingly, it already appears to be sold out in some configurations after only a week on the market. Were I in the market for a tablet right now I would have to give this serious thought.

I absolutely LOVE the way Windows 8 works on the Surface. We got one here for development and the thing is smooth as butter. On par or perhaps even exceeding the experience of iOS on the iPad 3. Its just awesome.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm still debating on whether to get a small tablet or a small laptop. I haven't seen any deals on NewEgg lately so I might have to pop into WorstBuy to see what they have on the shelves. The Surface looks great but might be beyond what I need in terms of simple function hence my desire to get something smaller and with more durability. We shall see though. Car repairs might make dreams of a new anything PC related to go out the window. :icon_e_sad:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Shaved, it might also be a good thought to check out sites like notebookreview.com. Frequently they have coupons usable on OEM sites to get you better pricing on tablets/laptops than you can get at worst buy (that's funny - you and I nicknamed that store the exact same thing).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Shaved, it might also be a good thought to check out sites like notebookreview.com. Frequently they have coupons usable on OEM sites to get you better pricing on tablets/laptops than you can get at worst buy (that's funny - you and I nicknamed that store the exact same thing).

Cool I'll check it out, thanks. :cool: