"Extinction" back on the table?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, my friend...that is old news.

http://stargate-news.com/stargate-news/stargate-atlantis-movie-stargate-extinction.html

Was looking at this old info and then saw this update at the bottom of the frame:

Is this old news? Duplicate news that I simply missed? More lies from TPTB? What can we make of this?

Yeah, that is old news. I would guess about late 2008:

Stargate Atlantis Movie Release date

Release date has not been announced but script is complete (May 2009).
Stargate Atlantis Movie will air on Sci Fi Channel and then it will be released on DVD.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah but the line about the new release date of 2011 got me wondering.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Great to see you here!

Hmmm, unless we get a press release from Syfy or MGM I would not get too excited. I think the SG franchise is being shelved for the time being.

Good to see you hear Squallie! I think I mentioned before that somebody at MGM told me that Stargate Universe was "off the books:. A later update specifically stated Stargate Universe Productions. But I was also told that a new production company is formed for each contract.

Also, the Teamsters had an entry for Stargate Universe Productions II on the list, and that dropped off three days ago.

http://teamsters155.org/WebDocuments/rptProdACtiveList.pdf

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Good to see you hear Squallie! I think I mentioned before that somebody at MGM told me that Stargate Universe was "off the books:. A later update specifically stated Stargate Universe Productions. But I was also told that a new production company is formed for each contract.

Also, the Teamsters had an entry for Stargate Universe Productions II on the list, and that dropped off three days ago.

http://teamsters155.org/WebDocuments/rptProdACtiveList.pdf
I wonder what's been going on with that production list...

I assume we'd be hearing more rumors if there were anything going on with the SGA movie. You'd probably have sightings of JF & DH - or even Jason Momoa - in Vancouver or at MGM for negotiations. That would be hard to supress.

I believe that SGA4ever is right on this one: the SG franchise is resting at the moment. I just hope they don't wait too long! You said before you would like to see a total reboot of Stargate at the hands of Emmerich & Devlin, but I myself like the SGA actors a lot, even the SG1 S9-S10 ones, and would rather have them come back while they're still in their prime.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didnt Jason say that there wasnt going to be a movie?

I wonder what's been going on with that production list...

I assume we'd be hearing more rumors if there were anything going on with the SGA movie. You'd probably have sightings of JF & DH - or even Jason Momoa - in Vancouver or at MGM for negotiations. That would be hard to supress.

I believe that Squall28 is right on this one: the SG franchise is resting at the moment. I just hope they don't wait too long! You said before you would like to see a total reboot of Stargate at the hands of Emmerich & Devlin, but I myself like the SGA actors a lot, even the SG1 S9-S10 ones, and would rather have them come back while they're still in their prime.

I recall reading a thread at SGUS where Jason Momoa was asked in a video if he thought there would be an Atlantis movie, and he flatly said NO. Besides that, there arent any sets to work with. All the Atlantis sets have been destroyed. Perhaps they could do it in greenscreen? I think the Atlantis gate still exists (info from private source).

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I recall reading a thread at SGUS where Jason Momoa was asked in a video if he thought there would be an Atlantis movie, and he flatly said NO. Besides that, there arent any sets to work with. All the Atlantis sets have been destroyed. Perhaps they could do it in greenscreen? I think the Atlantis gate still exists (info from private source).
They could also do an SGA reboot! Or perhaps a new hybrid series. The old sets are gone, but that would be the chance to reinvent the Atlantis city, maybe in a new green screen environment.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I believe that Squall28 is right on this one: the SG franchise is resting at the moment. I just hope they don't wait too long! You said before you would like to see a total reboot of Stargate at the hands of Emmerich & Devlin, but I myself like the SGA actors a lot, even the SG1 S9-S10 ones, and would rather have them come back while they're still in their prime.

Well don't know anything on MGM's end. I only know Syfy would air the movie in a heartbeat. I sound like a broken record but I keep saying how well SGA did for Syfy.

It just truly sucks that SGA was pretty much canceled in vein.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It just truly sucks that SGA was pretty much canceled in vein.

I agree. I'm an SGU fan and sure, I didn't really care much for SGA towards the end, but it would still have much better to see both shows run concurrently instead of one being cancelled for the other.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They could also do an SGA reboot! Or perhaps a new hybrid series. The old sets are gone, but that would be the chance to reinvent the Atlantis city, maybe in a new green screen environment.

This sounds like the best option if they are to resurrect SG1/SGA in some fashion, with the current cast members I mean. Since last we checked everyone from the Atlantis series was back on Earth it would only make sense to meld the characters from both shows into one. I'm not suggesting a huge cast of everyone but rather just the regulars that are available to do the show. I'm sure by this time certain ones would have moved on, but I hope JF and DH would still be available.

Yes, yes Mr. Anderson, the more I think about your suggestion the more I like it! Now if we can only convince the folks at MGM.