Elisabeth Sladen ("Sarah Jane Smith") has passed away

Tropicana

Council Member
She has passed away today aged 63 due to cancer. Elisabeth Sladen was most popularly known for playing "Sarah Jane Smith" on Doctor Who and her own DW spin-off, "The Sarah Jane Adventures".

RIP Elisabeth Sladen.

esd.png

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Wait what? Isn't her show still on the air?!?

Seems like everyone was extremely surprised by this sad news.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That's so sad!

I was wondering if they were going to do anymore "Adventures of Sarah Jane" and now you've posted this horrible news. :( I know it was more of a kids show but I liked it as simple entertainment.

I'm glad that she got to appear in the new "Dr Who" though. That was a really good story there.

Tropicana

Council Member
I didn't know she was battling cancer and it was never reflected in her performances. She gave it her all, so I think that is why everyone was shocked.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She'll be missed. Liz not only was a REAL actress but also classy off screen. Plus she was my favorite Classic Who companion.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
This is extremely sad news. Elisabeth Sladen and Jon Pertwee were my first companion and Doctor, how I was introduced to Dr. Who. I also loved her in the Sarah Jane Adventures, even though I'm a little old for it now (wait... what am I saying?!). Never knew that she was battling cancer, that's really awful. Such an amazing person, both off screen and on screen, she will definitely be missed.

There are still a couple of unaired episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures left. Not sure if they'll continue the series without her. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is really interesting to see the huge number of fans who were hit really hard by Lis passing. It shows her quality as an actress AND her off screen classiness - she has always been upbeat, kind and a bit gentle in her dealing with fans (on TV, at conventions and the like). As a result, the fandom really bonded with her and adopted her as "our" companion. It's a rarity and reflects well on her.

Tropicana

Council Member
I think it would be kinda nice to have a small tribute to her at the end of the DW season premiere. I love her enthusiasm, she was awesome.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think it would be kinda nice to have a small tribute to her at the end of the DW season premiere. I love her enthusiasm, she was awesome.

I think so too. She was perfect as Sarah Jane. I can't imagine anyone else in the role. I bet they will do a small tribute to her on DW, if not, they really should.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is extremely sad news. Elisabeth Sladen and Jon Pertwee were my first companion and Doctor, how I was introduced to Dr. Who. I also loved her in the Sarah Jane Adventures, even though I'm a little old for it now (wait... what am I saying?!). Never knew that she was battling cancer, that's really awful. Such an amazing person, both off screen and on screen, she will definitely be missed.

There are still a couple of unaired episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures left. Not sure if they'll continue the series without her. :(

I don't think they possibly could continue it without her. She certainly can't be replaced in the role. That simply wouldn't work and her fans wouldn't stand for it.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Indeed they should. She was such an influental part of the Whoniverse that it would be ridiculous not to have a tribute.

I don't think they possibly could continue it without her. She certainly can't be replaced in the role. That simply wouldn't work and her fans wouldn't stand for it.

Agreed. Besides, I'm having a hard time believing that the creators or the Beeb would even try to recast the role. They know enough of fandom to know that there would be a huge backlash if they even tried it.