Doctor Who S09 E05 - The Girl Who Died

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is the first standalone episode of Season Nine. And, as in last season they went with a generally lighter story after the first two being on the tense/gothic side.

This episode sees the Doctor separated from the TARDIS and helping a Norse village defend itself from aliens. That part was actually better done than I expected, with good acting all around and a feel a bit like in Army of Darkness when Ash trained a bunch of non-combatants to defend a castle against the Army of the Deadites.

The ending was both sad and then interesting in turn. Sad when "the girl" died and then in turn interesting when the Doctor decided to transgress the Laws of Time by saving her, and the way he did it made her potentially capable of self-regenerating perpetually. So he potentially has created a major problem in the timeline, which they hinted at in the closing scenes.

I have a feeling we will be seeing Ashildir (Maisie Williams) again...

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Doubtful. After the fiasco of Torchwood: Miracle Day future prospects for Torchwood seem very dim.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I did not mean "on screen" Joe :P
John Barrowman is pretty much locked in for Arrow these days, so I doubt we will see anything Captain Jack related at all. I was merely noting that he too is effectively immortal.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah, I see.

I was thinking more that Ashildir will appear later in the season and the Doctor probably has to take action to repair the timeline.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, given the teaser for next week, I think there will be quite a lot of changes, or re-enforcement of the Doctors personality traits.
Perhaps she will replace Clara as well?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Possibly, but Maisie Williams is pretty busy at present playing Arya Stark in Game of Thrones.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, but they generally do not kill people in the series who are alive in the books.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And judging from the previews it looks like the Doctor has to deal with this in the very next episode.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I hope so, they have been teasing it for quite awhile