Did battlestar galactica(2003) set a bad precedence?

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I didn't mind the changes to canon in ENT at all. I am the type that is aware information can easily be lost to history. (I worked on a history of my small town as a school project in my teens - we ahd a hard time peicing together info from the 1930s. :( )So I saw the "changes" to canon as merely lost information in TOS or TNG's time. I did love however that ENT had Romulans...just as shadowy behind the scenes characters. ;)

Where the Romulan's links to the Vulcans ever mentioned in ENT? I can't remember.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sure did

Where the Romulan's links to the Vulcans ever mentioned in ENT? I can't remember.
oh the vulcan high council was being influenced by romulans...it was never seen by the people on the ship, but there are a couple of scenes dealing with Robert Foxworth (he played the leader of the vulcan high scouncil) talking to shadowy figure who then turns arouns...ROMULAN!!! They were also involved in the conflict between the andorians and the vulcans...but again it was done as a clandestine effort by the vulcans and romulans. In ENT , they portrayed the vulcans as sinster and I liked that as well. the vulcan stories on ENT dealing with Surak were also having romulans involved in a behind the scenes way.

that is why I wanted a Romulan Collective DVD set like the other topical dvds sets they did. :)

ginogoneforever

GateFans Noob
And ironically nuBSG didn't start out as a soap opera. Basically it was turned into one beginning in the second half of season 2. And that was also when the quality started to tank.

...around the time Moore ran out of Larson & DeSanto TOS source material to exploit and was forced to write his own amendments.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Meh it was a great show imo. It's not really a show people need to defend though, it got a miniseries, 4 seasons and 2 movies (also a small online series i think) plus a large amount of critical acclaim. It's also sitting pretty at the top of many top sci-fi show lists so it's legacy is pretty much assured. Plus Sci-fi were clearly grateful at the time to get such critical acclaim on a channel that didn't usually receive it.

I thought Caprica was a pretty unique take on sci-fi as well, theres not really anything else like it out there. Plus the robot butler the greystones had was awesome.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
It's only a bad precedent when the wrong genre tries to emulate it. You don't give character oriented drama to an action/adventure seeking audience.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
It's only a bad precedent when the wrong genre tries to emulate it. You don't give character oriented drama to an action/adventure seeking audience.
imo its bad overall regardless of who tries to emulate it.

ive watched all of BSG and i can honestly say i hated everything except the space battles mostly due to the excessivly forced drama recognized in sgu.

i have no idea why people praise it or liked it as much as they seemed to do. imo BSG is even less scifi then sgu.
im one of those people who couldnt care less about characters and character development, i care about the story, this is also why i admit to skimming the majority of text in your fics.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
That's my point exactly Omni, it's not geared towards your audience, so why try and ram it down your throat? I personally loved BSG's style, but not always the execution. SGU tried to emulate the style but without the substance needed to fill that style, kinda like getting the clothes to match a trend but not fitting the personality of that trend.

BSG was a space opera geared towards drama and character development. I don't see what's so shocking that fans of action/adventure/lighthearted/plot don't like it.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
That's my point exactly Omni, it's not geared towards your audience, so why try and ram it down your throat? I personally loved BSG's style, but not always the execution. SGU tried to emulate the style but without the substance needed to fill that style, kinda like getting the clothes to match a trend but not fitting the personality of that trend.

BSG was a space opera geared towards drama and character development. I don't see what's so shocking that fans of action/adventure/lighthearted/plot don't like it.

to true but imo SGU emulated the styling exactly only dif was they are in the SGverse.

i disagree with the lighthearted statement as it sort of implies action adventure fans are "low brow" as the SGU squees refers to us, trust me it doesnt have to be light hearted it can be as complex and mind bogling as possible as lonag as its executed good.

what i persoanlly have issues with is "forced" tension thru un neccesary drama where they try to get this feeling out of the audience but all such things fall falt on their ass in my case as imo thats NOT how real people act, most people act emotionally and irationally in such situations and trying to re-enact such a thing on camera just ends up HORRIBLE, and to me its not even ontresting to see such a thing in reality bc the people are just making asses out of themselfs.. and imo standing around and talking talking talking and talking about what you were talking about earlier makes awfull awfull entertainment... focus on the damned task at hand stop being eachother psykologists FFS and get on with it.

in both sgu and BSG there is this highschool thread running thru em with this suposed "realistic" human interaction (drama) but to me it isnt realistic its 90210 basicly pure and utter crap and i dont enjoy it one bit.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I don't think it set a bad precedent at all. NBSG was fine for what it was. From what I gather, S1-2 did fine ratings wise and then started to drop S3-4 (correct me if i'm wrong). Do I wish other shows did not copy the style, sure I do. Copying any (other) shows style shows to me at least that the writers of said show simply cannot come up with thier own ideas and it is grating to watch.

Right about the time Apollo traded his warrior uniform for a suit and tie. :puke:

One interesting development that make come out of this whole debacle is the idea of the 2-3 season show by intent rather than by ratings may come out of it. It would require much tighter writing on behalf of the storytellers, but I think it could be a interesting concept to explore. Apparently the "Dark Tower" screen adaption is going to be in a format like this with movies breaking up the seasonal sections, and I'm looking forward to see how that concept plays out. I think if DT works this way it would make for a very interesting direction for visual entertainment to take.

Latin American soap operas typically have finite runs of about 6-9 months. Unlike their American counterparts that like to run shows like Days of Our Lives and General Hospital 100 years past their expiry dates.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I'd say it's more like getting a bikini to look like the other hotties but weighing in at 300 lbs and not having the body to fit that bikini.