Dell XPS 12 convertible ultrabook....who knew?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WOW. I was going to purchase the Microsoft Surface Pro today, and when I typed Microsoft Surface Pro into Google, an ad in the sidebar caught my eye. I always buy our company machines from Dell and so the adwords seem to give me Dell ads. Still, this one was special. Enter, the Dell XPS 12 convertible ultrabook:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-12-l221x/pd

Why choose this over the Surface Pro? Well, for starters, you can get it with an i7 processor, and 256GB of SSD drive space. You get a 12.5" full HD screen (1920x1080) and multiple monitor capability. When you dock this baby, it is like docking a laptop instead of a tablet. The maximum you can get with a Surface Pro is an i5 with 128gb. The keyboard part of this ultrabook has MULTIPLE full sized USB ports, HDMI and the other expected goodies. It weighs just 3.35lbs!

I am in love...

Top of the line model is priced far beyond the Surface Pro at $1699.00, but the machine itself is also far beyond the Surface pro. THIS is what I have been waiting for! I love the Surface Pro, but for the way I need to use Windows 8, I need the utility of this device more. No need to attach a keyboard or mouse or carry them with me.

dell-xps-12_t1.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Enjoy it. I can't justify the expense, and will soldier on with my Pro. ;)

I would love both, actually! But for work, I need this XPS. The Pro would work, but there are compelling things on this XPS that I need to do what I do. The larger screen is one of them (you know I wear glasses!). I still love the Surface Pro. I may just chicken out and buy it instead of the XPS considering the XPS costs almost twice as much...it may come down some.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I decided against this purchase for a great reason. With an app from the Play Store on Android, I can easily display my Windows 8 desktops on my old trusty Acer Iconia A500 with full touch capability. Its not free, but its worth it. It turns my Android tablet into a Windows 8 tablet when connected. :) Complete with all swipe gestures and yes, the awful Metro tiles. No good for games or really for video, but great for controlling other devices in my apartment. You can even do it from a phone, but Windows 8 does not look great on a phone. Still, not worth spending this kind of money on the ultrabook when I can access my Windows 8 files.

http://www.splashtop.com/splashtop2