Defiance: New science fiction series from Syfy, being developed alongside MMO game.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like TGOT the way it is. If I wanted Sesame Street or the Disney channel, I would put them on. Many agree with me, hence the fact that the show is a hit.

I mentioned it as an example of a network other than Syfy interfering with a show. The show may be a hit but they still changed it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Leaving well enough alone is not the most satisfactory of things to do for most people, especially stupid people, like TV execs. :winking0052:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep Shaved. it's a part of human nature...

G

Graybrew1

I mentioned it as an example of a network other than Syfy interfering with a show. The show may be a hit but they still changed it.
Books and movies/tv shows are always different.
The is where the term dramatic/artistic license comes from.

The show is on a Pay channel cable network. Most adults expect them to provide some adult content.

You seem to have mentioned it because you like to complain about the immoral aspects of the show. I responded because those of us that like the show should be able to state their opinions as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually not here Graybrew. I fully understand that "adult" stories have adult content. And having read the books I know he has such content in them - but always in context to the plot. Where the network stepped in (especially in the second season) was that they added a lot of said content that had little or nothing to do with the plot. It drew objections from fans of the books and even a Saturday Night Live joke skit where they had the new showrunner for Season 2 be a hormone addled teenage boy.
I've watched the show; I don't mind it but it doesn't really grab my interest the way the books did. Probably that's because the plotlines are so many and so complex that compressed for TV you are bound to lose some of the depth. George RR Martin has something in the neighborhood if 150-200 named and developed characters in the books to date - that is a daunting challenge for a screenwriter as viewers will lose interest if the story is too complex because they don't have a physical book they can go to over and over again to fully absorb the multilayered story.

G

Graybrew1

I still disagree. I really do like the show. I find no major faults with the sex and nudity in it. Just for the record, I have heard that the book is always better. :wink:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Here's a new trailer:

...and three behind the scenes videos

This show appears to be shaping up quite nicely. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out come April.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He's attractive imo. That pic tho :S

He's actually a very good actor so that gives me high hopes for this show. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a hot turd on a cold plate. :stung:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
watched the trailer, looks good, like Syfy may be getting back to when it was ScFi

But

How can all of those different species live in our atmosphere? There is just no science behind this. And, more importantly, do their ships have glass windows? :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
watched the trailer, looks good, like Syfy may be getting back to when it was ScFi

But

How can all of those different species live in our atmosphere? There is just no science behind this. And, more importantly, do there ships have glass windows? :icon_lol:

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The more ads I see for this show, the better it looks. I am just hoping that the "best" is all in the commercials.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I just saw the promo for this show, and syfy does such a piss poor job at it. I am still not sold yet on this show just yet. Nevertheless, I'll still give it a shot.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
New trailer:

"Set in the near future, Defiance introduces an exotically transformed planet Earth, its landscapes permanently altered following the sudden - and tumultuous - arrival of seven unique alien races. In this somewhat unknown and unpredictable landscape, the richly diverse, newly-formed civilization of humans and aliens must learn to co-exist peacefully. Each week, viewers will follow an immersive character drama set in the boom-town of Defiance, which sits atop the ruins of St. Louis, MO, while in the game, players will adventure in the new frontier of the San Francisco Bay area. The dramatic tapestry of the series and the intense action of the game will exist in a single universe where their respective narratives will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story."

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, they're ramping up the ads for Defiance on SyFy now as it's soon to be airing in April. I'm staying open minded and hoping it turns out to be good. I will admit that the video game aspect of it doesn't excite me much even though I'm looking for a new game to play right now. From what I've seen of it the game play doesn't look that thrilling, the graphics, etc.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, they're ramping up the ads for Defiance on SyFy now as it's soon to be airing in April. I'm staying open minded and hoping it turns out to be good. I will admit that the video game aspect of it doesn't excite me much even though I'm looking for a new game to play right now. From what I've seen of it the game play doesn't look that thrilling, the graphics, etc.

so, cancellation in June? Sticking with the new syfy "tradition"...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
so, cancellation in June? Sticking with the new syfy "tradition"...

In my younger days I would have embraced such cynicism but now I'm a bit more forgiving (yeah right!). I'll wait to see how the first episode or two is before condemning it. You never know, it just might be good. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
In my younger days I would have embraced such cynicism but now I'm a bit more forgiving (yeah right!). I'll wait to see how the first episode or two is before condemning it. You never know, it just might be good. ;)

Oh no, I am not condemning the show at all. I hope it is great and is around for a good while. But with syfy as it is now, i plan for the worst so i can be surprised in the event of something good.

It seems that syfy is good at keeping "bad" and bad at keeping "good"

today, after completing FRINGE I watched a panel Q&A with JJ abrams and his fellow creators, a couple of "show runners, Torv, Jackson and Noble. It was from 2009. A "Paley Center" event. In it,they discussed several times the needs and anticipations of networks versus that of the fans and the delivery of quality entertainment. JJ and a few others seemed a bit surprised and relieved that they-at the time-had been approved for a 2nd (and I think 3rd) season. This was in 2009 and held before the end of season 1. Seems that JJ and others are well aware of and "suffer" the pressure of network "nanniness" and bottom lines. Something SYFY is merciless at (as in giving shows little to no time to develop or just rejecting them outright).