CBS Press Release: Dancing On The Stars

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
CBS has had their request for an injunction against ABC's pending Big Brother clone Glass House declined.

In response, CBS made the following press release today.

Subject: A COMPLETELY ORIGINAL AND NON-DERIVATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM CBS
CBS ANNOUNCES DEVELOPMENT OF “DANCING ON THE STARS,"
AN EXCITING AND COMPLETELY ORIGINAL REALITY PROGRAM THAT OWES ITS CONCEPT AND EXECUTION TO NOBODY AT ALL
Los Angeles, June 21, 2012 – Subsequent to recent developments in the creative and legal community, CBS Television today felt it was appropriate to reveal the upcoming launch of an exciting, ground-breaking and completely original new reality program for the CBS Television Network.
The dazzling new show, DANCING ON THE STARS, will be broadcast live from the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, and will feature moderately famous and sort of well-known people you almost recognize competing for big prizes by dancing on the graves of some of Hollywood’s most iconic and well-beloved stars of stage and screen.
The cemetery, the first in Hollywood, was founded in 1899 and now houses the remains of Andrew “Fatty" Arbuckle, producer Cecil B. DeMille, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Paul Muni, Benjamin “Bugsy" Siegel, George Harrison of the Beatles and Dee Dee Ramone of the Ramones, among many other great stars of stage, screen and the music business. The company noted that permission to broadcast from the location is pending, and that if efforts in that regard are unsuccessful, approaches will be made to Westwood Village Memorial Park, where equally scintillating luminaries are interred.
“This very creative enterprise will bring a new sense of energy and fun that’s totally unlike anything anywhere else, honest, " said a CBS spokesperson, who also revealed that the Company has been working with a secret team for several months on the creation of the series, which was completely developed by the people at CBS independent of any other programming on the air. “Given the current creative and legal environment in the reality programming business, we’re sure nobody will have any problem with this title or our upcoming half-hour comedy for primetime, POSTMODERN FAMILY."
“After all," the spokesperson added, “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones."

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This almost sounds like something you'd find in The Onion.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This almost sounds like something you'd find in The Onion.
Ya, well the folks at CBS are more than a little miffed that a judge declined to issue an injunction against the airing of the show. CBS feels that this is a blatant ripoff of Big Brother (which, as I recall, was blatant ripoff of a British series, but I may be mistaken there).

CBS wouldn't know an original show if it bit them in the behind.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ya, well the folks at CBS are more than a little miffed that a judge declined to issue an injunction against the airing of the show. CBS feels that this is a blatant ripoff of Big Brother (which, as I recall, was blatant ripoff of a British series, but I may be mistaken there).

CBS wouldn't know an original show if it bit them in the behind.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Brits started Big Brother. There's probably a legal connection with CBS in regards to licensing for America (or vice versa to the UK). As for the concept though that's hardly copyright-able. I mean really, putting people into a house and filming them? Yeah, like that is an original concept. LOL!!!

The funny/stupid thing is that by doing all this whining CBS is bringing attention and free advertising to ABC's Glass House. If I was an ABC exec I'd send a muffin basket to the CBS offices as a way to thank them for saving me millions on advertising dollars.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Brits started Big Brother. There's probably a legal connection with CBS in regards to licensing for America (or vice versa to the UK). As for the concept though that's hardly copyright-able. I mean really, putting people into a house and filming them? Yeah, like that is an original concept. LOL!!!

The funny/stupid thing is that by doing all this whining CBS is bringing attention and free advertising to ABC's Glass House. If I was an ABC exec I'd send a muffin basket to the CBS offices as a way to thank them for saving me millions on advertising dollars.

The original Big Brother was actually, unsurprisingly, created by the Dutch.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The truly ironic part of all this is that CBS is currently creating their own version of the BBC's "Sherlock". It's got Lucy Liu as a female Watson (which sort of throws the whole misogynistic Holmes thing on its copious ass, doesn't it?)

Anyhow, the folks who make "Sherlock" are not at all pleased with CBS' attempt to run with their idea and then bollux it up.

Can't say I blame them.

I guess what's good for the goose ISN'T good for the gander??

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The truly ironic part of all this is that CBS is currently creating their own version of the BBC's "Sherlock". It's got Lucy Liu as a female Watson (which sort of throws the whole misogynistic Holmes thing on its copious ass, doesn't it?)

Anyhow, the folks who make "Sherlock" are not at all pleased with CBS' attempt to run with their idea and then bollux it up.

Can't say I blame them.

I guess what's good for the goose ISN'T good for the gander??

It does seem cowardly for CBS to let someone else take the chance at modernizing Sherlock Holmes and then after seeing it be successful do their own "original" version. And although I don't have a problem with casting women to play previously assumed male roles this time it seems cynically gratuitous on CBS's part. It's like a big sign saying "Hey! Look at us! We're soooooo forward thinking and original!!!" :icon_rolleyes:

With luck the writing and production will be good though. I'd hate to see a really schlocky, dumbing-down of the Holmes genre or worse, a hyper-sexual cast of "damaged" characters who have pointless side drama that is not relevant to the mysteries each week. Holmes is interesting enough as originally written by Doyle and he doesn't need to be amp'd up into a cartoon character. Fingers crossed!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The "new" show is called "Elementary". Jonny Lee Miller is playing Holmes.

I'm already hating it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The "new" show is called "Elementary". Jonny Lee Miller is playing Holmes.

I'm already hating it.

You know, I like JLM but the vibe I'm getting is that this show is horribly derivative and cynical in the way it's being constructed. I'm really trying hard not to give it the thumbs down before I see it but the fact that they're obviously leeching off the success of the BBC show really is a turn off.