Can’t Physically attend Star Trek's Creation Convention? Go Virtually instead

heisenberg

Earl Grey
star Trek fans have celebrated their favorite franchise and stars at conventions for 40-plus years, and for that entire time there’s been a segment of the fan base that’s been frustrated that, due to geography or timing, they’ve been unable to attend a given convention. Well, that’s about to change, thanks to a joint venture between Creation Entertainment, StarTrek.com and Tvoop that will allow anyone, anywhere to “attend” and live chat portions of Creation’s Official Star Trek Convention in Parsippany, New Jersey, on June 24-26. Via live streaming on StarTrek.com, fans can join in on the 45-minute on-stage panels featuring: Nana Visitor and Rene Auberjonois together (June 24 @ 4pm)
Dominic Keating and Connor Trinneer together (June 25 @ 3pm)

http://www.startrek.com/article/canundefinedt-physically-get-to-the-convention-go-virtually

oh wow!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Wow. While it doesn't - and can't - replace the convention "experience", this is certainly a step in the right direction!

We need a link to that feed with a reminder on June 24th so our readers can tune in. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Unless this is done under some kind of "PPV" format, this really worries me. *Some* "geeks" have problems dealing with people at the best of times (apparently) and they want to give them the option of not going and watching it via streaming media?? Sure we all love to se the clips and such on youtube, but they are added after the event and are generally of somewhat poor quality, give peeps the option to stay home and watch it over the net with no cost or delay is tantamount to killing the convention scene completely. Why pay X amount to go to a location and see the stars in person when you might as well be in the front seat for a fraction of the price??

It's a fine idea *in theory*, but in reality, yeah, not so sure :(

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Unless this is done under some kind of "PPV" format, this really worries me. *Some* "geeks" have problems dealing with people at the best of times (apparently) and they want to give them the option of not going and watching it via streaming media?? Sure we all love to se the clips and such on youtube, but they are added after the event and are generally of somewhat poor quality, give peeps the option to stay home and watch it over the net with no cost or delay is tantamount to killing the convention scene completely. Why pay X amount to go to a location and see the stars in person when you might as well be in the front seat for a fraction of the price??

It's a fine idea *in theory*, but in reality, yeah, not so sure :(
Oh, I go to conventions to see and meet the stars live and if possible interact with them!
I can watch Rene Auberjonois , Connor Trinneer etc on screen every day otherwise, and their "performances" at the conventions certainly aren't worth the steep ticket prices. So I don't see this affecting the scene in any way.