Broken screen glass. Is the iPhone 5 the only one left that still shatters?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dont know, but most of the people I work with and associate with have some sort of smartphone. The most have iPhones, then comes high end Android phones (Samsung Galaxy-class). Lately, some previous Blackberry fans I know have gone back to it with the Z-10. And of course, a sprinkling of Windows Phone users.

But the only shattered screens I have seen on any of these phones has always been an iPhone. I see them in the mall, I see teen girls holding up their phones to take pictures and notice complete lengthwise cracks on them. Apple will replace them with insurance, but still...why do they crack? I had dropped my uncased Galaxy (Epic 4G), no damage. Same with my Galaxy SII and I just dropped my brand new Galaxy S4 from a ladder which was 15 feet off the ground...not a scratch (and none expected).

Does anyone here have an iPhone?

274-825-large.jpg

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Because people are braindead enough that they don't put their iPhones in a case or a bumper to protect them.

Fortunately, I don't suffer from that particular disability.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Because people are braindead enough that they don't put their iPhones in a case or a bumper to protect them.

Fortunately, I don't suffer from that particular disability.

The Otter case is exceptional. I had been a huge fan of Ballistic cases, but the Otter for Galaxy S4 (and also iPhone5) is extremely effective and protective. So, if the best iPhone is one inside of an Otter Box case, why is the aluminum case always an arguing point for why the iPhone is better constructed?

This is simple...take a piece of aluminum and drop it. It makes a "ting" sound when it drops...in other words, it does not completely absorb the shock otherwise it would not make a sound...like the exact same size/thickness of a piece of plastic the same size. Bells cannot be made of plastic because plastic does not transmit the vibrations like metal does. So when an iPhone is dropped, the aluminum case transmits the vibrations to everything attached to it (namely, the screen glass). The previous iPhone had this problem with back glass as well. Although this is just an educated theory....

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have a bumper on mine, and it's done a fantastic job of protecting the phone. No, I'm not playing handball with the thing, but the few falls it's taken, there's been no damage done to it.

Apple tried to say that the iPhone 5 didn't need a bumper, because it was so "awesome". My opinion of that conceit contains too much raw profanity for me to post it to a "family" board. ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I have a bumper on mine, and it's done a fantastic job of protecting the phone. No, I'm not playing handball with the thing, but the few falls it's taken, there's been no damage done to it.

Apple tried to say that the iPhone 5 didn't need a bumper, because it was so "awesome". My opinion of that conceit contains too much raw profanity for me to post it to a "family" board. ;)

:joy:Then FH it is! Hit the "Rants" thread. Big fan here of reading your most profane filled rant on the iPhone 5! :joy:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:joy:Then FH it is! Hit the "Rants" thread. Big fan here of reading your most profane filled rant on the iPhone 5! :joy:

Thing is, I now have so much hands on with iPhones at work that I cannot help but be amazed at how well it does what it does...even if what it does is not as much as other smartphones. I am also extremely disappointed that so many people still use "beauty" as a reason to buy it. But it is a beautiful device. Ill save the praise for beautiul Androids (like the HTC One) for the Android thread. Still, so many shattered iphone 4S and 5 screens...I have seen at least 5 of them in the past two days!

Ironically, reports have it that Apple is now offering in store repair for these cracked iPhone 5 screens for $149.00 where before it was not done onsite.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/04/tech/mobile/iphone-repair-apple-store

My concern about this is WHY it cracks so often for the iPhone? I have yet to see a cracked screen on any Samsung smartphone. But I have seen smashed HTC screens (metal case). Is there a connection?

B

Backstep

Given with anything that is dropped or falls, depends on how "it" lands. On a corner, crack, flat on the back, usually no damage. Butter side up or butter side down.

I had the otter case for the Iphone 5 i had, with the Galaxy I have the Holster with kickstand.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given with anything that is dropped or falls, depends on how "it" lands. On a corner, crack, flat on the back, usually no damage. Butter side up or butter side down.

I had the otter case for the Iphone 5 i had, with the Galaxy I have the Holster with kickstand.

Galaxy phones have Corning's fancy Gorilla Glass. Oh, and I also have the S4 like you got. Im in love with it. Now that DOMA has fallen, I think I will marry it....:anim_59: When I answer it with my hand wave, I keep wanting to say "No, these are not the droids you are looking for". :P

Note to Bluce: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsu...ng-galaxy-s3-confirmed-get-galaxy-s4-features

Your SIII is getting the Air Gestures and all the other camera and eye tracking goodness that the S4 has. :).

B

Backstep

Galaxy phones have Corning's fancy Gorilla Glass. Oh, and I also have the S4 like you got. Im in love with it. Now that DOMA has fallen, I think I will marry it....:anim_59: When I answer it with my hand wave, I keep wanting to say "No, these are not the droids you are looking for". :P

I love my GS4. To often the new features are just gimmicks, the air gestures are not only fun but so useful along with the eye tracking. Wave of the hand to answer or reject a call or when in sleep just wave of your hand to see how many messages/calls you have.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love my GS4. To often the new features are just gimmicks, the air gestures are not only fun but so useful along with the eye tracking. Wave of the hand to answer or reject a call or when in sleep just wave of your hand to see how many messages/calls you have.

I love the way I can view my photo gallery with hand waves, and also scroll long web pages with a wave. The messages/calls thing is VERY useful. It is hard to believe that this 5" screen is the same as on the Note I was going to buy a while back. Also, Robin....she is incredible.

B

Backstep

I love the way I can view my photo gallery with hand waves, and also scroll long web pages with a wave. The messages/calls thing is VERY useful. It is hard to believe that this 5" screen is the same as on the Note I was going to buy a while back. Also, Robin....she is incredible.

I haven't installed Robin assistant yet, sounds to be much like Siri. I read that Apple is coming out with an eye tracker for the Iphone 5s or 6 to compete with the GS4.

Now I have a G tab 2 10.1 I use that for all the videos, movies, music, texting and streaming movies and tv from Netflix and Amazon. The only part I hate is the Wifi is only single band 2.4. With changing the router settings, moving the 2.4 to a higher channel plus to 40 MHz, this sped up the Wifi considerably.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the iPhones are the only smartphones out there now without Gorilla Glass. All the Windows Phones and all the Androids at this point use it - even the BB10 devices use it.

iPhones have had design problems before - remember antennagate? It was also a reason Verizon delayed rolling out iPhones - their version of the iPhone 4 had a redesigned antenna (at their insistence) to avoid that problem.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually the iPhones are the only smartphones out there now without Gorilla Glass. All the Windows Phones and all the Androids at this point use it - even the BB10 devices use it.

iPhones have had design problems before - remember antennagate? It was also a reason Verizon delayed rolling out iPhones - their version of the iPhone 4 had a redesigned antenna (at their insistence) to avoid that problem.

You are right, and this explains it. WHY would they not put Gorilla Glass on the iPhone???? It can hardly be scratched, let alone shattered.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The Otter case is exceptional. I had been a huge fan of Ballistic cases, but the Otter for Galaxy S4 (and also iPhone5) is extremely effective and protective. So, if the best iPhone is one inside of an Otter Box case, why is the aluminum case always an arguing point for why the iPhone is better constructed?

This is simple...take a piece of aluminum and drop it. It makes a "ting" sound when it drops...in other words, it does not completely absorb the shock otherwise it would not make a sound...like the exact same size/thickness of a piece of plastic the same size. Bells cannot be made of plastic because plastic does not transmit the vibrations like metal does. So when an iPhone is dropped, the aluminum case transmits the vibrations to everything attached to it (namely, the screen glass). The previous iPhone had this problem with back glass as well. Although this is just an educated theory....

The Lifeproof cases are 100% better . I have one for my iPhone . Totally water proof . Totally tough as hell . You can throw the phone against a wall and it will still work . Submerge it in water and it still works . Cost a bit more and looks and feels cheap but it is tuff as nails . Check out the reviews on YouTube :) :) :)