Brad Wright: The one person who has avoided significant criticism in this forum.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
People here have been critical of the characters and Joseph Mallozzi, but I believe that the person most responsible for canceling Stargate Atlantis and for devising those elements of Stargate Universe that a substantial number of fans cannot stand has evaded criticism.

Brad Wright

I believe that Brad Wright is the one person responsible for canceling SGA, the soap opera feel in SGU Season 1, the dark tone of the series, the even darker lighting, and a thousand of other changes that make SGU something other than Stargate.

Has he avoided public scrutiny so well that no one can link him to anything in SGU?

He did on the old nable forum. When he was doing a lot of interviews basicaly trashing sga/sg1 and the actors there in. He has been quite lately which is why hes not been mentioned as much on here, but wait for his next interview due any day now and im sure it will be full of more comparisons to cheesy scifi shows and lemming like fans who are so predictable!

Actualy it might be an idea to have a thread dedictated to quotes made by those involved in sgpoo. I think we may have had one on the other forum. It would be handy to have the quotes and links to articls where they act like prats as its bloody hard remembering who said what and when off the cuff. and i think the lurkers my find stuff of interest on it and some very valid reasons for the critism we have for these people!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I agree

People here have been critical of the characters and Joseph Mallozzi, but I believe that the person most responsible for canceling Stargate Atlantis and for devising those elements of Stargate Universe that a substantial number of fans cannot stand has evaded criticism.

Brad Wright

I believe that Brad Wright is the one person responsible for canceling SGA, the soap opera feel in SGU Season 1, the dark tone of the series, the even darker lighting, and a thousand of other changes that make SGU something other than Stargate.

Has he avoided public scrutiny so well that no one can link him to anything in SGU?

You are absolutely right, Jim. Brad Wright (and RCC) was the one responsible for the cancellation of Atlantis, not Joe Malozzi. JM would have been happy to continue his hit-and-miss writing and producing performance on Atlantis as long as he had a job. He even thought he was going to do a movie! :icon_lol:
You have to read the very early interviews to see the truth, written at a time when they thought SGU would be a huge hit and SG fans would be thankful.

And I also agree that BW hasn't been getting all the criticism he deserves. As has been mentioned, he is keeping a low profile. Worse than that, he put Malozzi in charge of confronting the critics and appeasing/insulting the fans. How's that for a boss!?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was me, buddy!

I agree with you completely. I remember disagreeing with someone that tried to say that it was all Rob's fault a few months ago. I said it was ultimately Brad's fault because Brad is THE guy behind Stargate on television. When SG-1 started, Rob was only a story editor while Brad was a co-creator/writer/executive producer. Rob wanted to try something new with SGU, but Brad had to go along with it and approve it before it could happen. High-fives, buddy!!!

:rotflmao::sgusucks:

I am still sickened by all those posts lost. :facepalm:. But I remember starting a thread about it all being Rob's fault, and you pointed out that it was Brad who greelighted all the Stargate Universe crap. Brad was instrumental in getting Atlantis canceled for SGU, and he was the first to lash out when SGU was criticized by Maureen Ryan from the Chicago Tribune. Rob Cooper was the one who conceived of the show, however. He is responsible for the feel and the tone of the show, and most likely the borrowed BSG elements. BOTH were at fault. So, it was like the chef baked a shit pie, and Brad tasted it and thought it was delish. :puke:

T

Tanith

I don't personally think Brad Wright alone is responsible for the cancellation of Atlantis. I remember reading an article a while back where he said that he expected there would be a 6th season. He & Rob Cooper are the main factors behind SGU's creation but as regards to SGA I believe Brad Wrights boss (MGM) are more responsible for its cancellation.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I don't personally think Brad Wright alone is responsible for the cancellation of Atlantis. I remember reading an article a while back where he said that he expected there would be a 6th season. He & Rob Cooper are the main factors behind SGU's creation but as regards to SGA I believe Brad Wrights boss (MGM) are more responsible for its cancellation.

I know that it is a mixture of different people but if SGU had not been put on the table and BW hadnt demanded twice the funds of sga and stated he would not run two shows at the same time. then im sure sga would still be on there air imho.

even if i put aside who is responsible, that does not alter the fact that since the day they made the announcement, BW & JM with a side order of RCC have shown complete contempt for sga and sg1 and even had a pop at the actors from those series. Its not something im inclined to forgive or forget.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Karma knows sgpoo stinks!

I know that it is a mixture of different people but if SGU had not been put on the table and BW hadnt demanded twice the funds of sga and stated he would not run two shows at the same time. then im sure sga would still be on there air imho.

even if i put aside who is responsible, that does not alter the fact that since the day they made the announcement, BW & JM with a side order of RCC have shown complete contempt for sga and sg1 and even had a pop at the actors from those series. Its not something im inclined to forgive or forget.

I consider the poor ratings & critics karma...what goes around comes around. TPTB shit on their sg1 and especially the sga and now their new baby is getting shit on. :P isn't Karma wonderful? :D

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
If BW & RCC were willing to make it and Syfy was paying for it (the series was making a good profit), why in the world would MGM want to cancel it? That makes no sense!
Of course it was either Syfy (which makes no sense either) or BW & RCC. There's no other possibility...

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
I also think they may have taken the SGA and SG-1 movies for granted. Losing Atlantis doesn't seem like a big deal when it seemingly guarantees a successful direct-to-DVD movie like SG-1 did. Running movies along side SGU seems like a great plan, people will watch the movies which will be about 2 hours of entertainment, and when they are hungry for more Stargate they turn to SGU every week.

Though for starting shit with a critic he lost a lot of respect from me

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

If BW & RCC were willing to make it and Syfy was paying for it (the series was making a good profit), why in the world would MGM want to cancel it? That makes no sense!
Of course it was either Syfy (which makes no sense either) or BW & RCC. There's no other possibility...

Plus why cancel something which had improving ratings & kept it's head above the water level for something untried & untested?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Plus why cancel something which had improving ratings & kept it's head above the water level for something untried & untested?

Silly robbie...the new show is more "arteeeeeeeestic" and get them loads of emmys :P:P

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Right! We did learn from BW's early interview that Syfy wanted to keep the SG franchise going - obviously for its financial success - and wasn't ready to embark in an experiment by BW & RCC ("something different"). That fact alone proves who was pushing for the end of SG1 & SGA between the channel and the producers! Besides, business execs don't care about creative aspects, so they don't usually change winning teams.
Those two clowns, after slobbering over RDM's succcess with BSG thought they had found the formula to do both: a drama-soap sprinkled with just enough sci-fi to justify the SG label. Plus, the improving ratings for SGA seemed to support their illusion that what SG fans really like is melodrama, not sci-fi. So they pitched this compromise to Syfy, cancelled SGA in order to get a higher budget and perhaps a safe 2 seasons for SGU in case adjustments were necessary... and we ended up with this horrible mess. :puke:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Spaceman XIII

GateFans Noob
Brad Wright is the biggest moron of the bunch

Brad Wright is the biggest moron of the bunch, what he managed to do to the SG franchise with SGU is equivalent to piloting the Titanic into an 500m wide iceberg.

Not only is he responsible for replacing SGA with SGU, he was also the first guy to spread the rumor that SGU is the most superior SG show ever. All the idiotic censoring shit you see on GW can be traced back to this guy.

He was good back in the days but it looks like he ran out of talent and got greedy while also grew dark and depressed, and SGU is the result of all that combined.

He isn't taking any heat at the moment because he did earn some credits with SG1/SGA and has recently learnt to stfu.