Borgen

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I find it pretty unlikely that anyone here has seen the show "Borgen"*, however I just wanted to drop and recommend it to you all, because it is honestly one of the most compelling dramas I've ever had the pleasure of watching. :smiley_joy:
It is a Danish (yes, Danish!) serial drama which chronicles the day to day stuff of it's three main characters, newly elected Prime Minister Birgitte Nyborg, her spin doctor Kasper Juul, and journalist Katrine Fønsmark. Now this political angle may sound like a Danish version of The West Wing to some of you, but while The West Wing was good, aside from both shows being political in nature, there aren't that many things that will jump out and remind you of it. Borgen takes a far more realistic tone with less of the annoying idealistic cheesyness which plagued TWW, and it is better of for it. Even if you have never really watched a lot of foreign language tv shows or movies before, I urge you to give it a shot because you won't regret ever laying your eyes on this highly addictive show. The first season has aired on BBC Four in the UK, so I know that at least the first season is out on DVD with English subtitles (Region 2, though), and I am aware of the first two seasons being available with English subs at "alternate sources".

[video=youtube;SV-0hz5co7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-0hz5co7Q

Do yourself a favor and watch it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I find it pretty unlikely that anyone here has seen the show "Borgen"*, however I just wanted to drop and recommend it to you all, because it is honestly one of the most compelling dramas I've ever had the pleasure of watching. :smiley_joy:
It is a Danish (yes, Danish!) serial drama which chronicles the day to day stuff of it's three main characters, newly elected Prime Minister Birgitte Nyborg, her spin doctor Kasper Juul, and journalist Katrine Fønsmark. Now this political angle may sound like a Danish version of The West Wing to some of you, but while The West Wing was good, aside from both shows being political in nature, there aren't that many things that will jump out and remind you of it. Borgen takes a far more realistic tone with less of the annoying idealistic cheesyness which plagued TWW, and it is better of for it. Even if you have never really watched a lot of foreign language tv shows or movies before, I urge you to give it a shot because you won't regret ever laying your eyes on this highly addictive show. The first season has aired on BBC Four in the UK, so I know that at least the first season is out on DVD with English subtitles (Region 2, though), and I am aware of the first two seasons being available with English subs at "alternate sources".

[video=youtube;SV-0hz5co7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-0hz5co7Q

Do yourself a favor and watch it!

Ill give it a whorl....can I watch it in the US? Is it online anywhere streaming?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Ill give it a whorl....can I watch it in the US? Is it online anywhere streaming?

All I know is that LinkTV airs the show in the US, however they are already well into season 2, and they only keep episodes online for two weeks after airing. However it might be available on Netflix or a similar site, but I don't think it is. AFAIK, the only way to watch it from the beginning (legally) is to get the 1st season DVD, which is only available in Region 2 encoding.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
All I know is that LinkTV airs the show in the US, however they are already well into season 2, and they only keep episodes online for two weeks after airing. However it might be available on Netflix or a similar site, but I don't think it is. AFAIK, the only way to watch it from the beginning (legally) is to get the 1st season DVD, which is only available in Region 2 encoding.

You probably already know this but there's no such thing as "Region encoding". It's a data bit set on the DVD that the DVD players use to identify if it belongs to its "region" in order to isolate markets. You can set almost any DVD player to Region 0 and that eliminates the "region" borders. Doing so sometimes involves entering a code sequence on a remote or hitting certain buttons simultaneously or as simple as burning firmware onto a CD/DVD and starting your DVD player up with the CD/DVD already loaded.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
You probably already know this but there's no such thing as "Region encoding". It's a data bit set on the DVD that the DVD players use to identify if it belongs to its "region" in order to isolate markets. You can set almost any DVD player to Region 0 and that eliminates the "region" borders. Doing so sometimes involves entering a code sequence on a remote or hitting certain buttons simultaneously or as simple as burning firmware onto a CD/DVD and starting your DVD player up with the CD/DVD already loaded.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, I just made a poor choice of wording.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, I just made a poor choice of wording.

I was young and naive when I first discovered that regioning was a fraud. Man, was I pissed. I started ordering shit that was released overseas before hitting domestic theaters and TV, like Shawn of the Dead, which was in theaters in the UK nearly a year before it hit theaters here. :D

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I was young and naive when I first discovered that regioning was a fraud. Man, was I pissed. I started ordering shit that was released overseas before hitting domestic theaters and TV, like Shawn of the Dead, which was in theaters in the UK nearly a year before it hit theaters here. :D

Personally I haven't found it very useful, but that's generally just because I mostly just download films and tv shows now, and barely ever buy a film on DVD or Blu-Ray, and when I do its usually an impulse thing. Eh.

BTW, here's a link to a preview of Borgen Ep 1 if anyone's interested in it.
http://www.linktv.org/programs/borgen-ep1

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
anyone know the status of this show?

i used to watch/dvr it on LINKTV

when it came time to record, couldn't find it...

any ideas?

it is a damned little quirky politics show, but it is a good one

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It finished its run with the third season in 2013, though I'm not sure where one can find it now. It may be available on some streaming service although I doubt it, however you can probably find the DVDs available for purchase on Amazon. Otherwise you can always get a hold of it using the less legal methods.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is there nudity, specifically male nudity? And if so, are the men hot? I don't want to waste my time looking at some tore-up, goofy lookin' Euro trash tool with bad teeth.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It finished its run with the third season in 2013, though I'm not sure where one can find it now. It may be available on some streaming service although I doubt it, however you can probably find the DVDs available for purchase on Amazon. Otherwise you can always get a hold of it using the less legal methods.

DVD's ?!?!?!
:vala-newanime016: :crazy homer face:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Is there nudity, specifically male nudity? And if so, are the men hot? I don't want to waste my time looking at some tore-up, goofy lookin' Euro trash tool with bad teeth.

Yes. No. Maybe? Honestly the shows we europeans make feaures nudity in such a natural way that you barely notice if it happens at all. ;)

DVD's ?!?!?!
:vala-newanime016: :crazy homer face:

Yup.

Okay I tried to post a link to the Amazon.com DVD but it just didn't work for some reason, but it's there. Check it out, if you want to watch the whole show.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes. No. Maybe? Honestly the shows we europeans make feaures nudity in such a natural way that you barely notice if it happens at all. ;)

Yup.

Okay I tried to post a link to the Amazon.com DVD but it just didn't work for some reason, but it's there. Check it out, if you want to watch the whole show.

dvd's/blurays are SOOOOO 2005!

:winking0052: