BOOKS!!!!

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Since I recently graduated I have felt compelled to catch up on some of my sci fi reading that i have been neglecting.

Thomas DePrima came out with Milor. Kinda like Honor Harrington but shorter and more action. Milor isn't as fast paced as the other books but is another solid addition to the series. I give the series a 9 out of 10.

Randolph Lalonde is another author that I have discovered. Spinward Fringe has awesome space battles but the series kinda gets repetitive around books 5 and 6. However the first four books of this series I burned through in three days and was blown away. Sorry this is an e-book so get the kindle app on your comp if you want to read it. Each book is only 3 bucks so it is worth it. I give this series an 8 out of 10.

Moonbase and Moonwar- Technology is considered evil and the world faces off against the small moonbase colony. Long books but worth the read. Lots of action and political dealings that move these books along at a rapid pace.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Apparently no one really reads here.

Finished Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, very good book, excellent set ups and characters, most of em, mixes lots of actual science with fantasy, surprised at that.

Gonna start Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Apparently no one really reads here.

Finished Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, very good book, excellent set ups and characters, most of em, mixes lots of actual science with fantasy, surprised at that.

Gonna start Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

I read...........

Lots :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I read a lot as well, and have quite literally hundreds of books, in print and on my Kindle.

I also reread them, some to the point where I had to repurchase copies, because I'd destroyed the bindings on my existing copies (no, I don't fold books back or anything horrific like that -- they just don't bind paperbooks like they used to -- they use cheap glue to stick them to the cover.)

I love the written word. Being a writer, it would be stupid if I didn't. LOL

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I read a lot as well, and have quite literally hundreds of books, in print and on my Kindle.

I also reread them, some to the point where I had to repurchase copies, because I'd destroyed the bindings on my existing copies (no, I don't fold books back or anything horrific like that -- they just don't bind paperbooks like they used to -- they use cheap glue to stick them to the cover.)

I love the written word. Being a writer, it would be stupid if I didn't. LOL

the same here...I've even had to repurchase a a hardback or two! :D (ok one was Natan Shranasky's autobiography.,..but still !:D)

Currently waiting for Terry Brooks' next book- The measure of Magic this summer! :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I used to read every night. I go in spurts.

I never outgrew reading in bed with a flashlight-- have read that way since I was 7 or so...hubby doesn't mind and I read myself to sleep. Actually had a "crisis" a few years ago- i had vertigo...COULD NOT READ for three days...OMG WAS IT HORRIBLE!!! TORTURE OF THE WORST KIND! HAD A HELL OF A TIME FALLING ASLEEP! It was a severe sinus infection (since then I have had nasal reconstructive surgery and have no problems anymore) I truly can't fall asleep with reading at least 30 mins.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
What are you guys reading now? Anything that one can just dive into and devour quickly?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What are you guys reading now? Anything that one can just dive into and devour quickly?

I finished reading "the house of doors" by Brian Lumley a day or 2 ago, trying to decide what to read next ATM

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Currently reading Terry Brooks' Bearers of the Black Stafff...waiting for the sequel :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Have you guys (and gals) read any of the Jasper Fforde books? (Yes, Fforde with 2 F's)

I highly recommend the "Thursday Next" series of books. They are alt universe, funny, weird, interesting, exciting and just plain good readin'. I can't even begin to describe them. If you've got a background in the classics of literature you'll enjoy them immensely.

http://www.jasperfforde.com/whatsnew.html

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Have you guys (and gals) read any of the Jasper Fforde books? (Yes, Fforde with 2 F's)

I highly recommend the "Thursday Next" series of books. They are alt universe, funny, weird, interesting, exciting and just plain good readin'. I can't even begin to describe them. If you've got a background in the classics of literature you'll enjoy them immensely.

http://www.jasperfforde.com/whatsnew.html

Just by looking at the covers and names they look like a cross beween Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers and Discworld :P
Have to visit a library soon I guess :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just by looking at the covers and names they look like a cross beween Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers and Discworld :P
Have to visit a library soon I guess :)

Start with "The Eyre Affair" which is the first in the "Thursday Next" series. It's brilliant. ;)

P.S. If you find you like Fforde's stuff I expect some green, some rare and priceless GF green! BUUUUWAAAHHHAAAHAAAA! :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Start with "The Eyre Affair" which is the first in the "Thursday Next" series. It's brilliant. ;)

P.S. If you find you like Fforde's stuff I expect some green, some rare and priceless GF green! BUUUUWAAAHHHAAAHAAAA! :D

Gave you some for drawing it to my attention anyway bro :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Finished Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear (sequel to Name of the Wind). It's not that bad but some of it is just full of itself. Gets kinda ridiculous in some parts and some parts really drag on, but will likely read the next one whenever it comes out. I can tell why they say it's Harry Potter-ish but older, darker, and less kid-antics.

I've been meaning to read Thursday Next series, remembered starting it but other things came up, I'll try to pick it up again.